HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I know… I’m sure it’s been posted many times. This is my first post.. I want to cut down my barrel down to 14.5. The most famous question I have is do I need a new gas block. Also.. is it important to have a certain gunsmith do the job? I have one local who has been doing gunsmith work for years who says no problem he can do it. Also will this ruin the integrity or finish of the barrel.. is there something I should do after the cut?? Also will this lower the value for future sales? I’ll never get rid of it but before you say who cares I look at everything I own as investments and I don’t want to turn a 3k gun to a 1k gun.

thanks guys.

·
Registered
239 Posts
You keep the same gas block. likely, it won’t impact the surface finish too much. Not many people are gonna see under the handguard. I had mine chopped to 10.4”, no issues so far. I would clean it, after you get it back. Mine had cutting oil on it.
even with a chopped barrel, you may lose a tiny bit of value depending on the buyer, but it will never be a $1k gun, the lowers alone go for more than that. Just do what makes you happy, I’d do a 14.5” p&w setup,

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One major question that needs to be asked now is do you have the thic boi or noodle barrel?

if noodle, buy a Neferious barrel.
If THICC, then you can chop and no new gasblock needed.
pretty sure it’s the thinner barrel, almost looks like a pencil barrel then flared out at the end where the threads are.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You keep the same gas block. likely, it won’t impact the surface finish too much. Not many people are gonna see under the handguard. I had mine chopped to 10.4”, no issues so far. I would clean it, after you get it back. Mine had cutting oil on it.
even with a chopped barrel, you may lose a tiny bit of value depending on the buyer, but it will never be a $1k gun, the lowers alone go for more than that. Just do what makes you happy, I’d do a 14.5” p&w setup,

who did you use to chop your barrel?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Why you would want to cut a beautiful, expensive, and match grade HK barrel to 14.5 inches?
What are the qualifications for the person performing the cutting and profiling?
Why not just buy a cheaper AR15 with a 14.5" barrel?
Do you really want to limit yourself to a pinned muzzle device on an HK rifle?

Think twice...cut once.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts