HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading threads for days trying to convince myself that HK's mr556 is better in some way than most of the other higher end offering in the same price range. I have read tons of threads and have been hesitant to ask this question in anyones thread.

Putting aside our HK pride or brand loyalty for a moment, why we think the MR556 or 416 is better than other rifles in that $2500 price range. (HK's track record for high quality should still be considered because we can apply the same type of thing to some other brands as well.)

·
HK Shooting Team
2,798 Posts
the mr556 is a very clean firing gun and a blast to shoot......what better than accurate, clean, easy to clean, fun to shoot, , highly customizable, and HK!!!

·
Registered
821 Posts
Wow..another one of these threads.

If you want a clean, accurate, 8+lb piston gun that is a real blast shoot and want to spend more than 2400.00 get a SCAR 17s.
Really.

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
Wow..another one of these threads.

If you want a clean, accurate, 8+lb piston gun that is a real blast shoot and want to spend more than 2400.00 get a SCAR 17s.
Really.
Think that's a bit of an apples and oranges comparison. Aside from the caliber difference, SCAR 17 mags are almost impossible to get.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Op didn't specify caliber...so the apple to orange comparison is moot. 2 times, price range was mentioned.

"some way than most of the other higher end offering in the same price range"
"MR556 or 416 is better than other rifles in that $2500 price range."

Same caliber, no it's not any better for the price. SCAR 16 is better and 1.66 lbs lighter.

Get a DD or LMT if you want to stay below 2k.

The LMT is IMO the King of AR's and my preference.
Easily SBR.
Easily switch calibers to 6.8SPC
Even switch from DI to piston in an AR config!!!
Machine gun grade barrel in the LMT is suburb.
Built like a tank and still lighter too.

How's that for an apple -> apples comparison?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Op didn't specify caliber...so the apple to orange comparison is moot. 2 times price range was mentioned.

"some way than most of the other higher end offering in the same price range"
"MR556 or 416 is better than other rifles in that $2500 price range."

Same caliber, no it's not any better for the price. SCAR 16 is better and 2 lbs lighter.
Get a DD or LMT if you want to stay below 2k.
So a DD or LMT can do what G3Kurz highlights in his post for less?

·
Registered
821 Posts
Mr556 is not a HK416. Chrome bore is just one example of the differences. Many of those advantages are experienced in piston platforms because of the reduction of heat into the action.

The MRP platform is superior for strength.

Larry Vickers prefers the DD Carbine and the SCAR H for battle rifle
Favorite battle rifle these days? - M4Carbine.net Forums

Interest take on the MR556.
H&K 416 or? - M4Carbine.net Forums

From the man himself...on DD. As acknowledged in the referenced post above, he helped design the 416.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RcrE4u4_9g

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
No offense to LAV, but DD is paying him as a spokesman now... Him choosing ANYTHING over the DD Carbine would be very stupid for him. would be like "Gunny" saying that he really prefers Colt to Glock.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Mr556 is not a HK416. Chrome bore is just one example of the differences. Many of those advantages are experienced in piston platforms because of the reduction of heat into the action.

The MRP platform is superior for strength.

Larry Vickers prefers the DD Carbine and the SCAR H for battle rifle.
Favorite battle rifle these days? - M4Carbine.net Forums

Interest take on the MR556.
H&K 416 or? - M4Carbine.net Forums

From the man himself...on DD. As acknowledged in the referenced post above, he helped design the 416.
Larry Vickers on Daniel Defense - YouTube
You posted what is essentially an infomercial as proof. I don't know what to say about that one. You'll find no argument from me that there are better products out there that can be had for less. I went with the HK based on quality, personal preference, and name. This thread reminds me of comparing cars...

·
Registered
578 Posts
You realize that Danial Defense video was made before the MR556 was available, and it is a paid commercial? There is very little information in the posts you linked. I'm not trying to say you are right or wrong, just that no useable information was presented in those links.

-W

·
Registered
98 Posts
I got a DDM4v1 and don't regret on getting it, got it before they released the MR556. Well worth the price. I was impressed on the torture test they did with the DDM4, just watched it a few weeks ago. I'd love to pick up a MR556 in the future.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I got a DDM4v1 and don't regret on getting it, got it before they released the MR556. Well worth the price. I was impressed on the torture test they did with the DDM4, just watched it a few weeks ago. I'd love to pick up a MR556 in the future.
Why do you want a MR556?

·
Registered
821 Posts
I pointed out what LAV, (who helped design the HK416), states now in both his endorsement for the DD and in expert opinion posted on m4carbine.net.
Of course, now that he has helped design and adopted another design, it is now BS? :780:

Ignore it and make excuses. I don't see anyone debating based on feature set.

DD is also profiling barrels for the MR.

Let revisit the question was asked?
"why we think the MR556 or 416 is better than other rifles in that $2500".
I know why I have my opinion, it's based on requirements and features provided that meet those requirements.
Features - attribute, quality, property, trait - you'd get the point.

Moving on...Remove the HK416 from the equation, because you can't get one.
Is the SCAR as good? From a feature set? Yes, IMO because it is more than just a product improvement of the M4
and like the 416 is actually used and developed from the ground up, by real world operators

Is the LMT better rifle and do you get more bang (Features) for the $$$??

IMO.. no comparison, features for the $$$, the HK doesn't stack up.
It is what it is.

Let's compare some features.

Factory SBR - HK = no, LMT = YES
Factory caliber change/6.8 avail, HK = no, LMT = yes
Machine gun grade barrel - HK = no, LMT = YES
Chrome Lined Bore - HK 556 = no, HK416 = yes, LMT = YES - Why is 416 (battle proven rifle chrome lined and the MR not?)
Choice of DI or Piston - HK = no, LMT = YES
Two Stage Trigger - HK = Yes, LMT = NO - (LMT trigger is superior in feel, clean break not spongy - IMO a better trigger)
Monlithic Rail - HK = No, LMT = YES
Mil Spec- HK = ??, LMT = YES
SOPMOD Stock - HK = No, LMT = YES

I'll quote one more time to make keep it on track with the ops question..."
What does the "MR556 possess that make MR556 or 416 is better than other rifles in that $2500"

HK MR556 = 2600.00+
LMT MRP Piston = 1750.00
LMT MRP DI = 1400.00, extras SBR barrel = 370.00

Feel free to spend your money how you wish. If you want the MR get it. You'll get those two little letters on it, HK.
Is it worth the extra $$$, will you rifle last longer? Do you get anything more for the $$ Yep, almost 2lbs of weight.

·
Registered
821 Posts
More are using M4's/MK18's than any other weapon. What's your point?

Edited: Sorry, maybe the Op is a ultra, super human operator.
Run don't walk...Get the MR556? It's got the little HK on the side.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I forgot what show I was watching on the military channel, but they introduced the HK416 on it and I was wow'd. I liked the G36 but it would cost too much converting it from the ugly SL8. But I honestly thought HK was gonna sell the MR556 for $5000 or so lol.

·
Registered
258 Posts
You realize that Danial Defense video was made before the MR556 was available, and it is a paid commercial? There is very little information in the posts you linked. I'm not trying to say you are right or wrong, just that no useable information was presented in those links.

-W

btw i can change the uppers all day long on any AR to do just like what was stated for the LMT... hell i could do the same thing with my MR too... seems like a meaningless post.. I'll tell you what I cant do that on... the SCAR... the pistol grip is interchangable with AR stuff... that is about it, you dont even have stock or rail/front sight choices..

·
Registered
258 Posts
Let's compare some features.

Factory SBR - HK = no, LMT = YES How is this a plus? most end users will not have the need or want for a title 2 SBR, those who do know what they can do no plus here
Factory caliber change/6.8 avail, HK = no, LMT = yes if you really want it buy a 6.8 upper, put it on the milspec MR lower... that is the joy of the AR platform. 6.8 SPC is great but its a go no where round.. no one uses it in large numbers... making ammo expensive and people flooding backpage with the uppers.. fail to see a true plus
Machine gun grade barrel - HK = no, LMT = YES MR has the same profile bbl as the M27, How many end users are going to pair it up with a MG lower/DIAS? no true plus here, the 18 year old kid at the range saying "check out my awesome cool M16 bolt carrier, is so milspec" comes to mind
Chrome Lined Bore - HK 556 = no, HK416 = yes, LMT = YES - Why is 416 (battle proven rifle chrome lined and the MR not?) I and majority of end users are not running in rain forests or doing beach landings and dont really need this, besides it is a well known fact unlined can be more accurate.
Choice of DI or Piston - HK = no, LMT = YES Why would you want the choice? If I want a DI i could get a Colt or a million other high quality DI's, fail to see the plus
Two Stage Trigger - HK = Yes, LMT = NO - (LMT trigger is superior in feel, clean break not spongy - IMO a better trigger) opinion
Monlithic Rail - HK = No, LMT = YES why would I want a harder to service stuff monolithic rail? I fail to see it being a plus, if i wanted a monolithic rail I would get a firearm designed that way from ground up like the SCAR
Mil Spec- HK = ??, LMT = YES M27 adoption makes it "military spec" deal with it
SOPMOD Stock - HK = No, LMT = YES SOPMOD stock as a plus? really? Its not gods gift to shooters... Hell, i prefer my CTR on my DI AR over the LMT SOPMOD... and anything that requires F***in para cord in order to keep me from losing battery plugs just pisses me off.. fail to see the plus here or even merit mentioning, the MR stock is actually very comfortable and stores the same crap with out me having to worry about losing those dang caps.
There are features that the MR comes with that the LMT doesnt... didnt care to mention those i guess did ya? case closed my ***

1 - 20 of 40 Posts