HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a Tangodown vertical grip for my MR556 and it's so tight I can't imagine moving the grip down the rail and into position without a rubber mallet?! Has anyone else noticed an extremely tight fit like this? Is this normal? I tried two different grips that were brand new and they both were way too tight. I had the locking bars in the down position, so they were not in the way.

Thanks in advance for any info!
Tom

·
Registered
346 Posts
you can use screwdriver for to loosen the allen screw and the lever to make more or less hard, but remember that if you make it too soft moves the handle. least, on my short tangodown quick release, so

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is not the quick release Tangodown. It is the regular Tangodown vertical grip with the 2 springloaded locking bars. I pinned the locking bars down with the heads of some small tywraps, so they are out of the way. The fir between the rail and the grip is way too tight. Tangdown markets the grip as mil-spec per their instructions. Is it possible the rail on my MR556 is out of spec?

·
Banned
879 Posts
Every TD grip i have ever had was tight as **** when I first installed. I found that zip-tying the locking tabs down and then forcably sliding it up and down an old used rail that I have before actually installing it on a working gun does wonders to open it up a little bit. It'll still take some force to get it on, but nothing like when new.

You can also use a three sided swiss jewelers file to open up the rail-ways a little bit, but go slow if you choose this methode. And zip-tie the locking tabs down before you do.

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I didn't think it was the gun! Thanks for confirming it for me gentlemen...I was having a momentary lack of faith. 3-sided file it is.....

·
Banned
879 Posts
With the three sided file, you'll have to do each face individually. which is a little more precise. If you want to do two faces at once, use the square file as it is a perfect 90 degree angle match to the internals/picatinny 1913 interface.

Just go slow regardless and don't over-do it.

·
Registered
346 Posts
i prefear quick release ;)

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've since swapped over to a Magpul AFG but when I was using a Tango Down vertical grip, mine was VERY difficult to install. I used the recommend zip ties to hold the springs open on it but I couldn't move the grip more than half an inch. So I used some MPro7 oil and put a few drops on the rail and grip. Problem solved.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts