HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys quick couple of questions:

1. i'm looking to get my mr556 cut to 14.5 and have the barrel treated (nitrided or chromed) either way dont really have a opinion on either.
I'm guessing Jayson at IGF can cut but who does the barrel treatments? and in which order?

2. need to get a muzzle device attached (any recommendations?)

3. Do the magpul sling attachments work for this?*ms3 etc ( i read somewhere a while back that it did not? can someone please clarify? )

Thanks So much
New HK convert.

-will update this thread with answers

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,216 Posts
There is a thread by member Grumpy on the subject of Nitride.

Whoever does your re-profiling should also be able to thread/attach for your muzzle device.

To use the MS3 (or any other hardware-mounted sling, you will need to replace the backplate with a mil-spec compatible backplate that has sling attachement points such as the one found on the HK Webshop or the Magpul ASAP. You will also need (optional) a forward mounting point if you want to use a two/three point system.

·
Banned
879 Posts
http://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk416-hk417-hq/154902-mr556-nitriding-updated-project-complete.html

For what it's worth, I would not attempt to chrome an MR556.

Nitride will make it slicker then chrome, increase the fatigue strength of the steel by almost three times, make the steel more corrosion resistant then chrome, and about as hard as chrome, if not harder due to the type of alloy that HK uses.

I would also suggest (as I did in the above thread) reprofiling the barrel while it is being cut to 14.5 and re-threaded, and I recommend a Vltor A5 stock system and a wolff XP rifle spring.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Jayson at IGF does great work. after i got mine back i remember hearing him say he was sending barrels out to be nitrided so i missed that train. If you are cutting it down and putting on a title 1 weapon i would choose the muzzle device, send it to them with the upper and have them perm attach it to ensure overall barrel length is over 16".

Jayson's work:

·
Banned
879 Posts
Really depends on what you want out of your muzzle device. Do you want reduced flash? Do you want it to control the muzzle jump? Are you looking to attach a suppressor? Do you just want simple and inexpensive or do you want expensive and complicated? Do you want your fellow shooters to like shooting with you or do you want your fellow shooters behind you plotting how to leave your dead body in the woods before the day is over?

All valid questions.

·
Banned
4,248 Posts
Really depends on what you want out of your muzzle device. Do you want your fellow shooters to like shooting with you or do you want your fellow shooters behind you plotting how to leave your dead body in the woods before the day is over?
Friends don't let friends use muzzle brakes on AR's

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I got the AAC 51t flash hider

·
Banned
879 Posts

·
Banned
879 Posts

·
Banned
879 Posts
Put a can on it and be done with it (I run a surefire on my 416 and it is the brake mount)
And that's the unicorn.

With the exception that the unicorn is a heavy bitch and adds weight to the muzzle.

Can't have everything.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Cuz it just makes the gun look so cool......
And we certainly dont want our +2500.00 HK looking different than those 800.00 AR's now do we?

·
Banned
879 Posts
To be honest, i'm a big fan of Noveskes N4 barrel profile. Same weight as an M4, but it redistributes the weight andmakes it slightly thicker under the handguard and slightly thinner after the gas block. Strengthens the barrel at its weakest spots (the normal .625 dia just before the gas block and then the silly M4 stepdown), yet keeps the entire unit light.

That was what I was shooting for when I re-profiled my MR556 barrel. I believe it worked.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts