HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, please don't turn this into a caliber war.

I'm in a position now to get one of these and I'm thinking that for the small price difference I could go either way. The 556 has the advantage of using existing AR mags and the ammo is cheaper. The 762 doesn't get those 2 advantages but from the videos I've watched the recoil is really tame unlike the PTR 91 that I sold.

Anyone who has either or both of these that could give me more insight and more pros/cons, I'd really love to hear from you.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HK only magazines and the cost of ammo are the negatives of the MR762.
Good point on the mags. I do like that they're translucent like the G-36 mags though..............

·
Registered
430 Posts
I'd also lean towards the MR556 for .223. in 308 I'd go for the 17S. Comparable price, still proprietary mags, but at least lightweight w/out compromise on accuracy.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Only issue is going to be finding a MR556 for a decent price. On GB they seem to have gone a bit haywire in pricing as word on the street is that HK isn't going to release more until 2017.

I own both and the annual cost factor for ammo would have prevented me from buying the 762 had I not already owned a .308 caliber rifle (Surgeon CSR). You are correct, the recoil is not bad on the 762.

Good luck with the decision and welcome!

David

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts
I think you've pretty much hit on the important differences, ammo differences and mags. Other than that, they are pretty much the same. The MR762 is basically just a scaled up MR556.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I own both but if I could only afford 1 it would be the MR556. The MR762 is a fine rifle but I like my LaRue PredatOBR and my OBR better. Both are in the same price range and quite a bit more accurate than my MR762. In addition the LaRue's can use inexpensive Magpul mags.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the input gentlemen!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You can't go wrong with either one; just be aware the missing sibling will eventually following you home. :biggrin:
Yeah, that does seem to happen.......... :)

·
Banned
4,103 Posts
What ^^^^they said. Just be advised that once you have one, they're like rabbits....they just seem to multiply, and your bank account just seems to drip away into the unknown obscurity only known as HK addiction. It just creeps up on you, and before you know it....you've been bit!

Personally, I don't own a MR762 YET....I LOVE my MR556's.....but it really depends on your purpose. For long range {i.e., 500-800 meters} you can't beat the .308 round. For me personally.....I'm having a hard time grouping at 500 meters with a 5.56 round, but have no problems with .308.

Good luck on your choice. PICS are a must!!!!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I found one today at a dealer 2 hours away from me and started the purchase process.

So of course the next question - (production) ammo preferences? I don't have reloading equipment.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You can't go wrong with either one; just be aware the missing sibling will eventually be following you home. :biggrin:
"Eventually" didn't take long. Bud's still has the Kalifornia compliant version in stock and allows a 90-day lay-away on new firearms so...................
Glad I have room in the gun safe :)

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts
Exactly what I did 7.62 first from Buds and now 556 (pay off next month). I can tell you the 7.62 by far is the best shooting 308 I have ever shot, hard to explain but you will notice it just awesome. Cant wait to get 556, sp5k will ship this week hopefully from MM, I have spent a bucket of money on guns this year but what they hay. Election coming up who knows what legislation will be looming over us this time next year.

·
Registered
155 Posts
What are you going to use it for? Carbine or precision rifle?

Carbine-MR556. The MR556 is really a precision rifle in 5.56, but you're limited in range/power by the lighter cartridge. More suited to a carbine or SPR/DMR rifle to 600 yards.

Precision rifle-MR762. Almost the same weight as the 5.56, but capable of greater accuracy/range due to ammunition. .308 match ammo is inherently more accurate in my experience and packs a greater punch. The 16" .308 semi-auto is really the do it all rifle IMO. You can clear rooms with it & shoot precision out to 1000 yards. It's such a versatile weapon, that's why it's the Army's new CSASS (Compact Semi-Auto Sniper System).

The only reason I decided to get the MR556 is because I liked the .308 so much and wanted both. If I could only choose one it would be the MR762.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Both are very nice rifles. Both have light recoils with the pistons. The .308 has surprisingly light recoil for a .308. Both are armor plated and eat whatever bullet you give them. Zero, nada, not one failure of any sort in 2000+ rounds. Not a scientific sampling, but my personal experience. MR308 is my favorite. I like the idea of putting a show stopping bullet down range. There will be no discussion of man stopping ability when it fires. Up front cost is greater, magazines are crazy and of course each smile per round cost more. Still, it remains my favorite. When given a choice, side by side, folks always want to shoot the .308 first at the range. Go big or go home.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What are you going to use it for? Carbine or precision rifle?

Carbine-MR556. The MR556 is really a precision rifle in 5.56, but you're limited in range/power by the lighter cartridge. More suited to a carbine or SPR/DMR rifle to 600 yards.

Precision rifle-MR762. Almost the same weight as the 5.56, but capable of greater accuracy/range due to ammunition. .308 match ammo is inherently more accurate in my experience and packs a greater punch. The 16" .308 semi-auto is really the do it all rifle IMO. You can clear rooms with it & shoot precision out to 1000 yards. It's such a versatile weapon, that's why it's the Army's new CSASS (Compact Semi-Auto Sniper System).

The only reason I decided to get the MR556 is because I liked the .308 so much and wanted both. If I could only choose one it would be the MR762.
Unless stuff really hits the fan I'd just use them for target shooting - paper, cans, etc. But, at the range when people ask why I'd spend so much I can let them try it, show the awesome fit and finish and explain that it came this way out of the box with no need to do any custom work.......maybe make some converts.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
buy them both, both are great guns
I pick up the 556 Friday - the 762 is a little further off but I already started buying ammo for both.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts