HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
879 Posts
Ouch. I'd take it back in and demand an explination.

Sounds like some shop employees took a new gun for a spin and hoped nobody would notice and then were dumb enough to put it back in the wrong box.....if such is the case.

If they didn't take it for a spin, it's not actually that uncommon for guns and boxes to be mis-matched accidentally when the guns are being entered into the bound book right after receiving or when they take a gun from the shelf and match it to an empty box in storage. Boils down to inattentivness moreso then anything.

I certianly hope they didn't take your gun for a spin and then try to sell as new.

First things to look for are internal wear on the inside of the upper receiver. First place to look is the cam pin notch on the inside of the left side of the receiver. Right where the cam pin rides will have noticable wear. Also, how much copper marking is evident on the barrel extension feed ramps? How dirty is the bolt face? Look at the face of the hammer, how much wear is present there? Is there a shiny spot where it has been impacting the firing pin and then a line of wear where it has been riding on the carrier?

A few test rounds will not wear a shiny spot. A couple of magazines worth will start showing noticable wear in those areas. Excessive dry fire and finger****ing the weapon in the shop will also show noticable wear on the hammer and firing pin, but not on the inside of the receiver where the cam pin rides. That kind of wear is most noticable when the BCG has been stripping rounds off of a magazine and forcing the cam pin into the side of the receiver, I.E. live fire.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Deep breathe. May be jumping a to a conclusion that is not necessarily true (i.e. it was tampered with). My MR556 bolt serial number does not match my lower either.

My guess: MR bolt is manufactured/proofed/serialized in Germany and imported to US. MR556 lower is manufactured/serialized in US. My guess is this is the discrepancy in the numbers and HK never intended them to match. Just my 2 cents. I'd call HK USA if it bugs you for the definitive answer.

Anybody have an MR556 where the bolt serial number and lower serial number does match?

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
What's on the bolt may be just a part number, not a serial number, or maybe HK in Germany serializes their bolts when they make them with an independent numbering scheme. I agree with Hunter Rose that they are not intended to match. For the record, my bolt starts with a 143 prefix. In any case, I'm sure all US MR556 receivers start with a 241 prefix serial numbers as I believe that's a model prefix. If they should have come with a matching s/n on the bolt, and someone wanted to swap bolts with another MR556, wouldn't it still have a 241 prefix? Don't think the number on the bolt has any relation to the s/n.

I'm not sure I understand the other explanation. The OP suggested the s/n on the receiver and bolt didn't match. Not sure how the shop guys test firing the gun and putting it in the wrong box would mix up internal serial numbers.

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
For the record, my bolt starts with a 143 prefix. In any case, I'm sure all US MR556 receivers start with a 241 prefix serial numbers as I believe that's a model prefix.
143 is prefix of MR223, so you have bolt that originally was made for MR223.

In EU bolts are "guns" (per EU Firearms Directive), so they must be serialized by manufacturer, no matter if they are mounted in firearms or just send out separately.

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
So if 143 is the MR223 prefix and 241 is the MR556 prefix, what is 168? An HK416 prefix?

·
Registered
634 Posts
Not sure if this adds anything, but I had a conversation with G3Kurz about my 416 upper numbers a while back. Nothing seemed to match. Date code of the bbl was done a year before the receiver.

·
Registered
590 Posts
The box serial number matches the lower receiver so that's a non-issue. The internals seemed pretty minty fresh though. No copper on the feed ramps or brass on the bolt head (although to be fair, it's not that hard to remove). However, I'm still not inclined to believe it was anything more than finger banged on a rack somewhere, it just seemed there was an excessive amount of carbon build up on the piston. When I got my SL8, there was almost no evidence of it being test fired, though I'm sure it was.

This still wasn't the main point of my question though, I was more concerned that serieled parts which may have matched my rifle were somewhere along the line swapped out or replaced. Maybe they had two MR556's stripped out next to each other comparing internals and put the opposite bolt back in with my gun. The whole bolt explanation makes sense though so I think at this point, problem solved.

Now one thing I swear I remember hearing is that the MR556 uppers are serieled to the lowers, is that true, and where is the number? I've examined the upper high and low and can't find any serial markings. Again, I just want to make sure that somehow original parts didn't get swapped on me.

ETA: I was going off of memory when I said 168 for the bolt prefix. I double checked it this morning - it's 143.

ETA II: When I unboxed it there was also a small gouge on the warning label (~1 cm long, .25 cm wide but deep enough to form a groove and expose bare metal) on the front of the magwell and also the oprod spring was rusty. What should I do? I don't need a cherry gun, but it makes you cringe when you spend 2k+ on a rifle and you find that right out of the box.

That does not sound right. Mine was spotless when I got it, the piston, rod and chamber. I could see a little residue on the bolt face from test firing but that was it.

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
I've never heard that the upper has a serial number matched to the lower. Neither my MR556 or MR762 have a s/n on the upper. The beauty model on the cover of the MR762 manual does have s/n on both the upper and lower, but both have a US prefix, so it may be some kind of prototype used just for the manual pictures.

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
I've never heard that the upper has a serial number matched to the lower. Neither my MR556 or MR762 have a s/n on the upper. The beauty model on the cover of the MR762 manual does have s/n on both the upper and lower, but both have a US prefix, so it may be some kind of prototype used just for the manual pictures.
When I browsed HK USA printed catalogue all MR556 and MR762 were in fact MR223 and MR308 - and those have serialized lowers and uppers. So photo on manual probably is MR308.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Yes, the last think corporations want to spend money on is marketing and photography updates. Before the MR556 ever hit the shelves, I've seen the engraving typefaces change 3 times and the logo updated twice. So matching my clone 416 lower was a challenge finding the German typeface Mittelschrift for the date code of the upper rec.

Montrala, does your MR223 have the s/n on the grip's tang? And do they match that of the rec's laser engraved digits?

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
Montrala, does your MR223 have the s/n on the grip's tang? And do they match that of the rec's laser engraved digits?
Didn't notice any. I will double check next time I remove grip.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts