HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Haven't seen too many people's experiences with the MR556 as far as heavy useage goes so I figured I'd share mine.

Last weekend I took my MR556 through Redback One's 3-day Pistol/Carbine Course with instructor Jason Falla. The first day was dedicated to pistol training with the following two days consisting mostly of carbine with a few pistol drills and a short introductory combatives/pistol retention session. The first day of carbine (2nd training day) covered the basics of ballistics, zeroing, use of sling, stance, grip, bore/sight offset relationship, transitions, etc. Second day of carbine covered transitioning/firing from each shoulder, recoil management, use of cover, shooting around vehicles, malfunction clearance, carbine retention from gun grabs, one handed operation/malfunction clearance, and a whole lot more.

Overall I was pleased with the MR's performance. Only malfunction was a double feed on literally my first magazine change of the course. Not a good start to say the least. Then I received the following instruction:

"You know what the problem is? You're using Lancer mags!"

Sound advice. After switching to good 'ole USGI aluminum mags the MR556 performed flawlessly for the rest of the class. It was accurate, reliable, and performed well in several strings of heavy semi-auto fire. Total round count was just over 1,000 rds in two days.

As for my impression of the gun, I like the smoothness of its cycling and in its reprofiled barrel form weight wasn't an issue. I traded rifles with a fellow student (he had a similarly configured Daniel Defense M4V7 w/ the lightweight tube forend) for half of a multiple person movement/fire drill. Personally, I didn't notice much difference in handling of the two rifles, other than the DDM4 V7 got hotter a lot faster, but that's just one man's opinion. I do think the MR556 in stock form is unnecessarily heavy, and would not have wanted it in class. Ultimately weight and balance is a personal preference, though, so to each their own. All in all, I came away with full faith and confidence in my MR556 and in my small sample size of one it appears the MR556 is perfectly capable of hard use in the self defense role.

As for the class, I would highly recommend it. Jason Falla is a great instructor with a wealth of knowledge and experience. He also has an excellent sense of humor and is humble/approachable, so you not only learn a ton of useful information but you have an enjoyable time doing it. Of note, Jason was using an HK416 upper to instruct with, so it was nice to be able to ask questions directly to a SME with knowledge/use of the HK416.

Parting thoughts/lessons learned:

1. I need to buy less gun crap, buy more ammo instead, and practice a hell of a lot more.
2. Bolt over base malfunctions are a bitch to clear.
3. A stock P30LS sucks for one handed manipulation/malfunction clearance.
4. Being 6'5" is great for shooting over car roofs but not so great for effectively using small pieces of cover.
5. Three days straight of shooting stuff makes for a great weekend!

·
Banned
4,248 Posts
"You know what the problem is? You're using Lancer mags!"
Paging Montrala!

Seriously though, good write-up. It's good to see people putting their guns to actual use and learning what works and what doesn't.
This is always a constant: "1. I need to buy less gun crap, buy more ammo instead, and practice a hell of a lot more."

·
Banned
879 Posts
These are the kinds of write-ups that I enjoy. I've never been one to baby weapons and seeing an MR556 get used like it is meant to be run, warms the cockles of my heart.

And the setup the OP has is very similar to the setup I have going on with mine with the exception that I will run an Aimpoint PRO and a surefire mounted right side with pressure pad on the top raid (I prefer thumb over top shooting style). All it's gotta do is come back from nitriding...woot!

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
Paging Montrala!
I noticed :)

Only ones that I have experience are L5 AWM. Those seem to have huge changes in feed lips area to old L5, that my friend is using. There probably was a reason for this. I can imagine L5 feed lips, that are moulded into polymer, to flex and allow double feed. L5 AWM lips are part of all-steel "belt" encasing whole top part of the mag, so those should be GTG. Time will tell.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I noticed :)

Only ones that I have experience are L5 AWM. Those seem to have huge changes in feed lips area to old L5, that my friend is using. There probably was a reason for this. I can imagine L5 feed lips, that are moulded into polymer, to flex and allow double feed. L5 AWM lips are part of all-steel "belt" encasing whole top part of the mag, so those should be GTG. Time will tell.
The mags were L5 AWM mags. Pretty new, with only 60rds through each that I used to zero the Aimpoint with. A tip taught to assess mags was to slap the bottom hard three times and see if any rounds move. Doing this, all my L5 AWM mags had rounds shifting forward with two of them having rounds pop loose. This is what I assume happened. I inserted the L5 AWM mag forcefully and a round popped loose, leading to the doublefeed.

Same test smacking my USGI mags extremely forcefully and the rounds didn't budge. I am a small sample size of one dude and 5 mags, so your experience may vary, but I am less than impressed with the L5 AWMs. First impressions and all. The Lancers seem a great idea that may just not quite be there in execution yet, and USGI will be what I use in the future.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice write up!! Thanks for sharing.

What did you have your MR556 barrel reprofiled down too?
.72" under handguards and .68" forward of the gas block. I used the Noveske N4 Light barrel for inspiration.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I was surprised to hear you took a lancer mag , they don't even stay in mine, only metal and emags

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
Good job being one of the minority gun owners who spends time and money on a course. How did you find the recoil impulse on your HK compared to the AR you borrowed? I still like gear, but the more experience I've gotten, I realize that the real cost of gun ownership is ammo!

Jake

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How did you find the recoil impulse on your HK compared to the AR you borrowed?
Just my opinion. His DDM4 felt like my LMT MRP and every other AR I've shot. My take is the recoil impulse feels about the same, as in hardly any (it is just 5.56 after all). I think the MR556 cycles smoother whereas the DI AR's cycling feels slightly more violent. Both work and the difference feels negligible to me.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Parting thoughts/lessons learned:

1. I need to buy less gun crap, buy more ammo instead, and practice a hell of a lot more.
2. Bolt over base malfunctions are a bitch to clear.
3. A stock P30LS sucks for one handed manipulation/malfunction clearance.
4. Being 6'5" is great for shooting over car roofs but not so great for effectively using small pieces of cover.
5. Three days straight of shooting stuff makes for a great weekend!
I especially like #1 and #5. You should share those two with everyone you know. That's really good advice. I might add dry firing to that list, as well.

I know this is the 416 section, and this is an MR thread, but I'm curious to know what your issues were with the P30.

PS I have to throw in a dig, here: Where was the variant 9 .45 listed in your sig? :wink: hehehe

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Yep, Pointblack is the new caretaker of my HK45. It funded a back-up P30LS 9mm (that whole one is none thing. Updated my signature to reflect my current views.

As for the P30LS in class, it performed flawlessly and was more accurate than me. The issue was when doing one handed manipulations/malfunction clearances. In stock form, everything including the sights are dehorned. Its a bitch to rack the slide one handed or lock it open, since there is nothing with a right angle (including the front sight) to snag the gun on and provide resistance. I looked like the special needs student trying to accomplish it. Eventually I managed with the bottom corner of the front sight on my holster, but it took some doing and has to be positioned just right. I would not want to do it under stress. Something to consider for people who carry a stock gun.

I prefer Heinie sights, but didn't get them installed prior to class, so this should be a non-issue in the future since Heinie front sights have a right angle to them.

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
The mags were L5 AWM mags. Pretty new, with only 60rds through each that I used to zero the Aimpoint with. A tip taught to assess mags was to slap the bottom hard three times and see if any rounds move. Doing this, all my L5 AWM mags had rounds shifting forward with two of them having rounds pop loose. This is what I assume happened. I inserted the L5 AWM mag forcefully and a round popped loose, leading to the doublefeed.

Same test smacking my USGI mags extremely forcefully and the rounds didn't budge. I am a small sample size of one dude and 5 mags, so your experience may vary, but I am less than impressed with the L5 AWMs. First impressions and all. The Lancers seem a great idea that may just not quite be there in execution yet, and USGI will be what I use in the future.
I will check mine at nearest opportunity. I start to think that best 5.56 polymer mag is Beryl mag from FB Radom and instead of converting Beryl to use STANAG mags, I must convert my MR223 to use Beryl mags. This would be "A Project"! :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts