HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got my form 1 back on my MR556 and was originally going to send the upper off to IGF for a chop/reprofile to 10.4". However, with the conversion kit available from HKParts I've considered going this route so I could leave my HK match barrel untouched. I've only seen one review on the HKParts kit with no real feedback on how it shoots so I wanted to ask the collective braintrust:

A) Has anyone else bought the kit and if so what is their experience, especially on the range
B) Is the price difference between the kit and having IGF cut down the barrel worth keeping the existing barrel intact (might want to go back to full size one day, etc.)

Any thoughts or advice?

·
Registered
167 Posts
I've read that article before. It's about as retarded as 2 dudes ****ing.
He complains about rust, but I see no signs of rust in the pictures. You'd think he would try to show how bad, but he doesn't.

The barrel and gas block are stainless steel. SS doest easily rust. Hell, I have about 1200 feet of 1/2" 304 and 316 stainless tubing that's been sitting outside for over 6 years without a spec of rust.

Also, being that the barrel and gas block have been treated with a salt bath, it's normal for surface rust to appear, but this does not mean you stuff is rusted. Surface rust is not harmful and goes away with a light coat of oil.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I bought one.

It went together fine, unfortunately I haven't had much time to shoot it. The handful of magazines I did shoot worked fine, but I didn't shoot any groups.

I bought a factory HK flip up front sight, as well. It doesn't lock in the down position... so when I shoot, it flips the front sight about half way up. Either the front sight, or the gas block, is out of spec. I'm guessing the gas block.

·
Unrepentant HKHolic
Ones that go Bang
5,101 Posts

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
MR556 to 10.4" Conversion - Advice Needed

If I can find time to go through all of the GB data I've collected I'll post the ones that have come up for sale this past winter and spring. They do come up and the most recent ones this winter and spring were going for less than $1000 out of a Shooting Range/Shop in GA. I beleive they were all off of Police 416's. If I recall correctly they also looked like they had signs of high heat - discoloration/burning of the finish on the barrel just behind the gas block).

The price will depend on condition as always, just like the complete uppers. There were few on here or GB as well that were in good condition that sold a little higher if I recall correctly.

But my point is, they are out there. But like everything else 416 they are rare and kept close by those who have them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
If I can find time to go through all of the GB data I've collected I'll post the ones that have come up for sale this past winter and spring. They do come up and the most recent ones this winter and spring were going for less than $1000 out of a Shooting Range/Shop in GA. I beleive they were all off of Police 416's. If I recall correctly they also looked like they had signs of high heat - discoloration/burning of the finish on the barrel just behind the gas block).

The price will depend on condition as always, just like the complete uppers. There were few on here or GB as well that were in good condition that sold a little higher if I recall correctly.

But my point is, they are out there. But like everything else 416 they are rare and kept close by those who have them.

Please do. I have never seen them sold separate and would be curious to hear what they go for. I know a 417 barrel with gas block sold all by itself, and went for booku $$$. I am used to seeing (like GSC has for sale now) the complete upper for $4,000+. I wish HK would figure it out and just sell barrels and adj. gas blocks separate.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I've seen barrel(s) on GB and they are as described by RG491969, but having said that they are like "hens teeth" to find. If you do a GB email notification for your "search" you may find one?. For what's it worth the MR223A3 11" barrel is about $950 from HK.

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
I've seen barrel(s) on GB and they are as described by RG491969, but having said that they are like "hens teeth" to find. If you do a GB email notification for your "search" you may find one?. For what's it worth the MR223A3 11" barrel is about $950 from HK.
What sucks is that they won't ship those to us here in the States.

·
Registered
321 Posts
What sucks is that they won't ship those to us here in the States.

^^ This, I contacted Mike Turner, but he didn't have an "end date".

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the feedback. The 416 uppers I had seen were few and far between and high $$ but I don't recall seeing barrels sold separately.

I'm really thinking that leaving the stock MR556 barrel alone and buying the kit may be the way to go. I'm just surprised no one has any decent range time with the HKParts barrel; considering my days of shooting upside down at bad guys while jumping out of helicopters is long gone something that is of decent quality and relatively good accuracy should suffice :biggrin:

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. The 416 uppers I had seen were few and far between and high $$ but I don't recall seeing barrels sold separately.

I'm really thinking that leaving the stock MR556 barrel alone and buying the kit may be the way to go. I'm just surprised no one has any decent range time with the HKParts barrel; considering my days of shooting upside down at bad guys while jumping out of helicopters is long gone something that is of decent quality and relatively good accuracy should suffice :biggrin:
For 600 bucks , you can't go wrong . Hell , the barrel's nitrided , it's gonna last shootin' whatever crap ammo you want. I think you have the right idea myself !

·
Registered
167 Posts
If you have a rifle length HBAR barrel, Marvin Pitts will retrofit your upper for AR type barrels.
Still right at $600 though if you include a gas block.
Longest length possible is about 13" unless you provide a barrel without a gas port drilled.

·
Premium Member
3,990 Posts
If you have a rifle length HBAR barrel, Marvin Pitts will retrofit your upper for AR type barrels.
Still right at $600 though if you include a gas block.
Longest length possible is about 13" unless you provide a barrel without a gas port drilled.
Is this the service where he alters a DD hammer forged barrel to work on a modified 416 upper?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Is this the service where he alters a DD hammer forged barrel to work on a modified 416 upper?
Yes and no.

Any brand barrel will work, as long as it is heavy or at least medium contour under the handguads and has a rifle length gas port. Colt HBAR 1/7 rifle barrels can be found from time to time..that's probably what I would start with, or Daniel Defense's S2W rifle barrel.
But you can use any barrel as long as it meet the requirements.

He will need to trim down the shank on the upper and will need to head space the bolt and barrel.

I'm contemplating having him do a colt barrel to 11", or just wait for HK Parts to unveil their 14.5" barrel and chop it. The HK parts barrel is cheaper then the retro fit.

He's also working on retrofitting AR15s with HK's gas system and using standard AR15/M16 BCGs.

If you're like me and building your HK completely from scratch, then I figure:

$150 for gas block
$300 or so for the barrel
$30-50 for barrel nut

Then add in Marvin's service and your looking at probably close to $1000 all together just for a barrel.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts