HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw this HK416 section of forum a few days ago and ended up getting 2 - MR556... don't ask me why I got two of the same rifles.:41:

Anyway, I've LL sear and I'm planning to convert one of them close to HK416.
Anyone done it before and where to find some good conversion info, etc?
thanks,

·
Premium Member
962 Posts
All you need to do is send your MR556 to Jayson Cotter at Investment Grade Firearms and he will reprofile and chop your barrel down to 14.5" HK416 specs or if you SBR the lower, you can cut it down to 10.4". The full auto engraving can be done also for the correct look. After all of that, send your bolt carrier to M60 Joe to have the back of the carrier milled to SP1 specs to work with the Lightning Link.

Boom - HK416 full auto clone.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Not legally...
I dont think so, looks like a good way to end up in federal prison. I could be wrong though...

·
Registered
634 Posts
Coolhand. If you need laser engraving artwork, let me know. I recreated the lower's vector art based on the German font they used and actual 416 for reference and sizing. I can do your SN for you. You can send your lower to USAnodizing for stripping and hard coat anodizing (it came out great and is very durable) and then send it to a laser engraver like SureShot. The MR upper might need to be refinished to match as well, but I haven't recreated the HK markings for that yet since I have a 416 upper. But I can do it if more guys want to redo their uppers and lowers.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Not legally...
I dont think so, looks like a good way to end up in federal prison. I could be wrong though...
I'm pretty sure if it's a registered LL it's the lightning link that is the registered machine gun making it legal. RLL and RDIAS are different from HK9X registered packs. the RDIAS and RLL have the manufacturer and serial numbers registered to ATF and drop into the lower of the host weapon. only problem with a RLL is that he'll need to install M16 FCG into the MR556 and modify the FCG to get selective fire otherwise the fire modes will go from safe to full... no semi. remove the LL and the gun is now has m16 FCG illegally in them so if he wanted to remove the LL he needs to remove the fcg too. like UMP said the Bolt carrier need to be milled to SP1 specs. more info can be found below

SWD Lightning Link

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
With 4 position burst fire control, you have safe, semi and full-auto.
No problem at all.

I'm pretty sure if it's a registered LL it's the lightning link that is the registered machine gun making it legal. RLL and RDIAS are different from HK9X registered packs. the RDIAS and RLL have the manufacturer and serial numbers registered to ATF and drop into the lower of the host weapon. only problem with a RLL is that he'll need to install M16 FCG into the MR556 and modify the FCG to get selective fire otherwise the fire modes will go from safe to full... no semi. remove the LL and the gun is now has m16 FCG illegally in them so if he wanted to remove the LL he needs to remove the fcg too. like UMP said the Bolt carrier need to be milled to SP1 specs. more info can be found below

SWD Lightning Link

·
Registered
258 Posts
With 4 position burst fire control, you have safe, semi and full-auto.
No problem at all.
Its not that easy, simply installing a 3 position or 4 position selector will still make the weapon full auto only with a LL, its the way the LL pulls the disconnector. The m16 selector has to be modified to have a notch cut in it to prevent the LL from engaging in the semi position. Because of the design i dont think burst works for the LL

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts

SWD Lightning Link
M60 Joe now has a selector setup (safe, semi, full), that uses Ar15 trigger parts so once LL is removed no auto parts left. And it still works just fires semi in full position with link removed. he set up my Rock River gun that way and it works perfect.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Thank you for the clarification. I googled the LL after seeing this thread, and it looker like it could be trouble if used incorrectly.

SWD Lightning Link

·
Registered
590 Posts
So the HK416 14.5" upper is roughly 16" long with the flash hider attached?

Permanent fixed flash hider=Title 1.
Removable flash hider=SBR.

Is this correct?

·
Banned
879 Posts
Correct. If you're using the right kind of flash hider.

A standard A2 or A1 birdcage is not long enough to bring a 14.5 barrel to legal 16 if permanently attached. A slightly longer flash nider is necessary such as a vortex, phantom, AAC blackout, etc. Many of the suppressor industry quick-mount flash hiders also work very well for this including Gemtechs, Surefires, Ops Inc., Yankee hill, etc.

I personally use Gemtech Bi-lock flash hiders because they give me that little bit of extra length, allow me to attach my suppressors, and look a lot better then any other hider on the market. (personal opinion to be sure)

Just remember that if attaching a suppressor quick detatch style flash hider, use peel washers and NEVER use crush washers if you ever plan on mounting a can. Always visually check concentricity of the bore to the flash hider (the human eye is pretty darned good at spotting offset which can be really bad with suppressors), and make sure that the weld on the pin doesn't interfere with the mounting of the suppressor.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Good to know, I thought I could use the standard hider that comes on the MR556. Now need to decide if I want the 10.4" or 14.5" conversion....

·
Banned
879 Posts
The only way you could use the standard flash hider that comes with the MR556 is if you stacked a bunch of peel washers behind it and then permanently attached it. If you care about "looks", this is a very, very, very bad idea.

As it were, I always thought that suppressor mount flash hiders looked cooler anyway.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Not legally...
It's only illegal to modify the receiver to function with factory original f/a parts. Machine gun BAN applies to the serial numbered receiver - in the case of AR's that's the lower, and using factory parts would require drilling a hole in the receiver. "Conversion" sears are just that, a conversion. While they function the same way, they need neither that hole drilled nor require you to modify the receiver itself in any way.

·
Registered
590 Posts
The only way you could use the standard flash hider that comes with the MR556 is if you stacked a bunch of peel washers behind it and then permanently attached it. If you care about "looks", this is a very, very, very bad idea.

As it were, I always thought that suppressor mount flash hiders looked cooler anyway.
Yea, I probably won't like that look. I need to look into flash hiders more. I mainly just want my barrel cut and rethread at 14.5".

·
Banned
879 Posts
Yea, I probably won't like that look. I need to look into flash hiders more. I mainly just want my barrel cut and rethread at 14.5".
Another option would be to have your barrel cut to 14.7 then using a standard crush washer and the A2 flash hider, you should be just above 16 inches. Make sure the barel is measured prior to drilling, pinning and welding just to make sure. Looks real close to the 14.5 barrel look, so close that most people can't tell, but it's legal.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts