HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just mounted new ACOG. Rear iron sights are getting in the way. Any recommendations on: just taking them both off? leave front fixed and swap to flip down rear? Swap both to flip downs? If replacing with flip downs, any brands you'd recommend? Being an HK, I don't want to put any old junk up there.

·
Premium Member
1,289 Posts
I would recommend putting flip down rear sight with an ACOG. There are many companies making good ones: Troy Industries, Knight Armament, ARMS, PRI, Midwest Industries and Yankee Hill Machine to name a few.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I don't know anyone that makes a flip down rear diopter except HK. There are a few companies making "HK style" flip down sights, like Troy and KAC, however those are just M16 style sights with a ghost ring instead of blades. The elevation on these sights is still meant to be done with the front post (which defeats the purpose of the front sight always being in the center of the circle, but apparently that is lost on Troy and KAC) , so if you leave the stock HK front iron, you will have no way to adjust elevation. You have to replace both front and rear if you replace the irons.

Depending on your Acog mount, you may want to go with standard height irons instead of the HK/Micro height, so you can cowitness through your Acog. . .. you know, in case the batteries go bad (that was a joke).

-W

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I would put BUIS on the rifle. Unless a rifle is a range queen only, I'd suggest some type of irons on them.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have the same ACOG as the OP and just picked up my new MR today! It seems I might be doing something wrong as I have to mount the ACOG as far to the rear of the top rail (in order to have clear view thru the scope) that there is no room On the rail to mount my Troy rear Battle Sight.

Also, I guess you don't get a cheek weld with the RMR as its so high up vs. an Eotech.

I am just looking for your comments and ideas.

Thanks.

·
Registered
53 Posts

As you can kinda see there (on my regular AR15), I have the Magpul MBUS rear sight as far back as possible, folded down. Then in front of that, I have the ACOG sight (TA31RCOM4). If you're needing to use your BUIS, it's most likely because the main optic failed, so no point in having the irons fully deployed while the ACOG is being used. In case the ACOG fails somehow, just remove it, flip sights up, you're good to go.

·
Registered
163 Posts

As you can kinda see there (on my regular AR15), I have the Magpul MBUS rear sight as far back as possible, folded down. Then in front of that, I have the ACOG sight (TA31RCOM4). If you're needing to use your BUIS, it's most likely because the main optic failed, so no point in having the irons fully deployed while the ACOG is being used. In case the ACOG fails somehow, just remove it, flip sights up, you're good to go.
I understand this, but my ACOG is mounted where your MBUS is mounted. If I put the ACOG in the same location as yours, then I do not have a clear full view through the ACOG unless I move my eye closer and then the cheek weld is not there.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I understand this, but my ACOG is mounted where your MBUS is mounted. If I put the ACOG in the same location as yours, then I do not have a clear full view through the ACOG unless I move my eye closer and then the cheek weld is not there.
Only other option is to get a new mount that'll mount where mine is, but then sets back a bit so you have the same eye relief that won't change how you shoot. Or even a rail itself?

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Don't know if this will help but I was looking at offset iron sights there are a few brands out there, don't know if it would bother u to move gun at angle a bit unless your light is in the way

·
2,832 Posts
few pics of my current set up MR556. TA01ECOS with Magpul BUIS, HK long rail, Magpul ACR, other bits and TLR-2s

dont know why the pic is sideways?

even though the rear BUIS is rearward over the CH, I have had no problems, worse that happens is the sight pops up and rests on the ACOG not in the window

I also have an AimPoint Pro thats set up for this gun

·
Registered
163 Posts
few pics of my current set up MR556. TA01ECOS with Magpul BUIS, HK long rail, Magpul ACR, other bits and TLR-2s

LP - Is that the operating position of your buttstock in order to get the correct eye-relief? Thanks

·
Registered
590 Posts
The front iron sight is the most important. If your optic did fail for some reason, you can hit center mass all day with front iron sights only. The military used to teach guys to shoot that way. Focus on the front sight post while shooting. If you shoulder & cheek the weapon the same all the time, you will have no problems shooting with your front sight only. I have done it.

Now if your trying to shoot a guys eye out at 200+ yards, you may want the BUIS.

·
2,832 Posts
no I run it back at the 1st or 2nd stop, but I run all my AR's that way regardless of the optic, I am a crawler :)

at one point(and I might do it again) I had the rear BUIS infront of the optic, it worked fine(like a ghost ring) for what I need BUIS for and it let me get the optic just a bit further back, damn short eye relief on the 4x ACOG's(but it was free)

LP - Is that the operating position of your buttstock in order to get the correct eye-relief? Thanks

·
Registered
3,464 Posts

Lot depends on stance. For bladed (classic) stance you need extended stock for proper eye relief. With frontal (square to the target) stance you need short stock.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Here is a pic of just how short a stock is required

1 - 20 of 36 Posts