HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As this MR556A1 is my first HK and AR, I have no experience to draw from so, I was wondering if it was advisable to use steel cased Wolf or Russian ammo in this gun? It would be used primarily for paper punching out to 200 yards. As you probably already know the cost is about roughly 1/2 that of brass cased ammo. Is there a better quality option I should be looking at for a similar steel cased price? Thanks, and as always, you're comments are welcome and appreciated.

Ray

·
Premium Member
1,737 Posts
I was wondering if it was advisable to use steel cased Wolf or Russian ammo in this gun?
No.

Is there a better quality option I should be looking at for a similar steel cased price?
No. Quality ammo, is not cheap ammo.

If you didn't care about accuracy, reliability, or quality then you've bought the wrong rifle. If you do care, that you have bought one of the best AR pattern rifles on the market, then get some good quality ammo, and feed her right!

·
Banned
4,248 Posts
You can if you want to, but there are 2 basic schools of thought on the subject:

1) It's a high-price/high-quality system that should be able to handle any ammo you put in it; so why not get more rounds per dollar if your gun can handle it?

2) It's an expensive, high-performance rifle, so why feed it garbage ammo and have accuracy suffer and risk excess wear from steel cased ammo?

It's hard to argue how much harder steel cases are on internals vs. brass cases. My advice is to find the balance in all of this. Find the best ammo you can reasonably afford in large quantities; if you have an MR556, you SHOULD be able to afford better than steel-cased Russian ammo. In the end, it's your rifle...do as you wish.

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
Pointblank said it best. I don't have an MR556 and it's shame your first AR is an MR556 :) but I usually shoot about half and half in my S&W AR. I use a combination of wolf military classic and XM193. I've put a good amount of XM855 green tips though mine as well. Steel is associated with more wear and tear on the extractor since its harder than brass. You would have to shoot thousands upon thousands of rounds to break one though.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I would avoid Wolf in your HK if it was me I'm sure it will fire just fine but just pay a bit more for quality ammo, its sort of like drinking champagne out of a paper cup.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Cheap steel ammo works fine in the MR556. I use it all the time. It's silly to waste good ammo if you just have to hit silhouettes at less then 25 yards doing training. You're also more likely to actually get an ammo malfunction so you can actually practice dealing with the malfunction.

That said, I prefer brass, and I prefer 62 grain out of the MR556, but it will run on the cheap crap all day long.

-W

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
I dont understand the hating on Steel ammo. The days of laquer panic are gone, people need to move their thought process on steel ammo into the current day.

Even Hornady offers steel case ammo. If it wore out rifles left and right why would they go that route? Its a no brainer for me, can I afford the better stuff yes but better to have more volume for range time. I prefer silver bear for blasting and range plinking and 5.56 XM surplus ammo when I want to use brass. The Silver Bear I have used has been on par with Fiocchi and XM mil spec ammo; however I only shoot out to 100 yards max and most 50 yards and under.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I dont understand the hating on Steel ammo. The days of laquer panic are gone, people need to move their thought process on steel ammo into the current day.

Even Hornady offers steel case ammo. If it wore out rifles left and right why would they go that route? Its a no brainer for me, can I afford the better stuff yes but better to have more volume for range time. I prefer silver bear for blasting and range plinking and 5.56 XM surplus ammo when I want to use brass. The Silver Bear I have used has been on par with Fiocchi and XM mil spec ammo; however I only shoot out to 100 yards max and most 50 yards and under.
Yep, all hype. If steel case wears out your gun, your gun is poorly made and unless you are a sub- MOA sniper it will shoot better than you think. 1-300M, no problem and pie plates at 300m are easily struck.
The steel in these cases are very soft, not as malleable as brass but they will fire form to the chamber easily. If you are going for match accuracy go with the match ammo otherwise, steel is fine. 1.5-2.5 moa is what you can expect. Blast away.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Guys,
I have to disagree here. Why has no one talked about the powder, yet? The steel cases are not the problem, and the lacquer is not the problem, either. The problem is the powder. There is much debate as to whether or not the Russian steel-cased ammo has corrosive powder in it. I don't know either way, but I DO KNOW THIS......it's pretty damn dirty stuff regardless, and a lot of us in the M14 world are shying away from it.
I mean, it may be fine, especially if you clean the crud out of the rifle after each range session, but I don't know. Why risk it? I mean, you spent a shibby ton of money on your first AR, why chinse out on the ammo?????? Just buy Lake City surplus. That way you get good accuracy with known-quality ammo. It's kind of a no-brainer to me.
Do what you wish, it's your rifle.
Just sayin'.........
---BMS

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Guys,
There is much debate as to whether or not the Russian steel-cased ammo has corrosive powder in it.
Not to sound obtuse but I don't think you know of what you speak. Primer ignition compounds are corrosive not the powder. Yeah maybe a little dirty and not as consistent as match grade but corrosive powder, please........

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
I will agree the ammo is dirty with Wolf Polymer but my silver bear hasn't been bad.

Honestly this doesn't worry me as the weapon is cleaned after every outing

Honestly my WWB in my MP5 clones is about as dirty if not more than the Wolf 9mm, just an observation

1 - 12 of 12 Posts