Discussion Starter #1
From HK USA directly.

10 round mag # 234690S. $94.00 each... in stock

20 round # 234708S. $84.00 each...in stock

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
At least they are available unlike those elusive SCAR 17 mag. Maybe a mags group buy.

·
Premium Member
2,711 Posts
Why don't they sell these on the Webshop?

·
Premium Member
3,576 Posts
The mags were never going to be cheap. I bought 5 20-rounders over a year ago and they were still around $75 each back then. I do find it interesting that the 10-rounders are more expensive.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Wow...

·
Premium Member
3,698 Posts
The mags were never going to be cheap. I bought 5 20-rounders over a year ago and they were still around $75 each back then. I do find it interesting that the 10-rounders are more expensive.
Exactly. It is rather odd that the 10rd is more then the 20rd.

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
Exactly. It is rather odd that the 10rd is more then the 20rd.
20rd is standard HK417 military mag. HK makes like pierdylion of them. 10rd mags are special civi mags, that are made in small numbers. Effect of scale.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm new to HK and am curious about the way they price magazines...does anyone know why the lower capacity magazines seem to cost more than the higher capacity ones?

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
I'm new to HK and am curious about the way they price magazines...does anyone know why the lower capacity magazines seem to cost more than the higher capacity ones?
Look 2 posts up above your question.

·
Premium Member
3,576 Posts
Let's hope Magpul can help out in a few years...
Don't see it happening, personally. Wouldn't think there are enough 417/308/762 guns out there to make it worthwhile, unless there is a big mil/LE demand for alternate mags. Magpul isn't even making anything for the SCAR-H/17S and I suspect there are a lot more of those out there than the HK. Wonder how their G36 mags are selling? I suspect if those don't do well, you can probably forget Magpul doing any more HK stuff.

·
Premium Member
1,289 Posts
I have been too the HK USA site and the MR762 20 round mags must be sold out. There were none listed fo sale.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I was told that the reason for the 10 round mags being more expensive is that they come direct from Germany and the export tariffs force the price increase.

·
Premium Member
3,576 Posts
The 20 round mags come from Germany too, at least all mine do. They say "Made in Germany", just like the 10 rounder that came with my MR.

Agree with Montrala about them being made in much lower numbers relative to the "normal" capacity mag that the military/LE users buy in quantity. The 10 and 20 round HK416 and 10 round G36 mags are similarly higher priced than the standard 30 round versions.

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
The 20 round mags come from Germany too, at least all mine do. They say "Made in Germany", just like the 10 rounder that came with my MR.

Agree with Montrala about them being made in much lower numbers relative to the "normal" capacity mag that the military/LE users buy in quantity. The 10 and 20 round HK416 and 10 round G36 mags are similarly higher priced than the standard 30 round versions.
The costs are based on production qty versus the cost of the tooling (molds, mold inserts, etc.). The more you produce and sell the cheaper each one is when the cost of the tooling if factored in/covered. Polymer mags are cheap (pennies for the materials) to make once the tooling is paid for. This is why MagPul gives so many PMags away as samples to seed the market and create good will for their product. Maybe HK will do that for the first 500 MR762A1 buyers? :)
G3Kurz

·
Registered
737 Posts
Oddly, the tooling for polymer is NOT inexpensive, though.

(Not you, G3) say what you wish about Magpul their mag performs as advertised; better than the USGI mags in many respects (but not all).

It would be nice if they could have afforded to tool up for supporting the HK rifles but as others have previously stated its economies of scale.

It will be interesting how Magpul's new mag will work with STANAG- and non-STANAG-compliant lower receivers...

·
Registered
45 Posts
I am considering a MR556 purchase. I thought that my existing Magpul magazines would work. Is this true or not true?

On the Magpul website, there is an announcement of a new Magpul 30M3 magazine. It states that it was designed to work with the MR556. It will be available in Spring 2012.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts