HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting the impression that the MR762 are not selling too well and I am wondering why. Do people think they're too expensive and are just waiting? Are there currently many more available than expected? I have seen some sell on GB for 3400 and now there is another one available 3440 (not my auction)

HK MR762 Low Starting bid. Low buy now. : Semi Auto Rifles at GunBroker.com

I paid a similar price for mine and considered it a pretty good deal given that the MSRP is 3999 and to my understanding dealer pricing is above 3K. Since this is only a few hundred above Scar 17 or similar 7.62 rifle pricing I am wondering why they don't sell faster.

Does anyone know and is willing to give rough estimate on what dealer pricing is?

·
Premium Member
1,289 Posts
The price is a little high and most were asking higher prices when they first hit the market. I paid 3600 for mine when they were first released.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
A semi auto 308 has a smaller market than a similiar style .223/5.56 weapon. For one the ammo is more expensive, two the cost of the rifle is more. Also Hk being late in the game non-hk fans have already bought POF's, Larue's, and LWRC's. All of which are fine weapons themselves.

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
I think another factor, in addition to the high price, is the proprietary, high priced, and hard to find mags. Many .308 ARs use the DPMS/SR25 pattern mags, which Magpul makes a $25 Pmag version of.

·
Registered
765 Posts
It isn't only the high price, it's the high price in addition to a flooded market in which supply far exceeds demand. Almosst everyone who makes a .223 AR also makes a .308 version. Like Turbo SVT mentions, the 556 is doing better because it's a bigger market.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Did anyone really expect the MR762 to fly off the shelves?

Look at it objectively, and its easy to see why people aren't grabbing them up. They're mostly the same reason people dog the MR556:

Cost. #1 reason here. More expensive than all its direct competitors (with possibly the exception of the KAC SR25, not sure what those are going for). Larue, SCAR H, LMT MWS etc. are all cheaper yet still high quality accurate rifles. Very high cost limits the pool even considering the MR762.

Next, MR762 looses many potential buyers from those left willing to cough up the coin based on its features, or lack thereof:

1. Its heavy. Look at the MR556, one of the main gripes is weight. So some choose the lighter SCAR H, Larue, or lightened LMT MWS w/ slick upper (9.3 lbs) because they are lighter.
2. No sights. Sure, you will most likely use a scope but lots of people still want/need BUIS. The SCAR H, LMT MWS, and Larue offerings all ship with sights.
3. Propietary mags. HK even managed to surpass the SCAR H in the "silly expensive" mag category. $120 for a single polymer 20rd mag? Really? The stock MR762 doesn't even ship with one of these. The FN, LMT, Larue offerings all ship with at least one 20rd mag
4. Cost again. You have to spend $3640 at a minimum ($3400 MR762, $120 BUIS, $120 20rd mag) to get an MR762 equal in accessories to its competiors, making the price difference even greater ($800-$1000 premium over the LMT and FN offerings). Lots of people will do the math and realize they can get a SCAR H or LMT MWS plus lots of ammo for the same price.

None of these reasons mean the MR762 is a bad rifle, but they do make it easy to see why lots of people choose other rifles rather than the MR762. Hell, I have been squirreling away money for an MR762, but after writing this I've started to think the slick rail lightened LMT MWS may be the winner of the bunch.

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
I never thought Id do it but I may buy a MR762 and never shoot, just keep it as a collectors item

something tells me they wont make many but I could be wrong

·
Registered
247 Posts
I am getting the impression that the MR762 are not selling too well and I am wondering why. Do people think they're too expensive and are just waiting? Are there currently many more available than expected? I have seen some sell on GB for 3400 and now there is another one available 3440 (not my auction)

HK MR762 Low Starting bid. Low buy now. : Semi Auto Rifles at GunBroker.com

I paid a similar price for mine and considered it a pretty good deal given that the MSRP is 3999 and to my understanding dealer pricing is above 3K. Since this is only a few hundred above Scar 17 or similar 7.62 rifle pricing I am wondering why they don't sell faster.

Does anyone know and is willing to give rough estimate on what dealer pricing is?

The MR762 and MR556 are way overpriced for this market, that's why they're not selling. I noted on another post that a MR556 upper went for $1500.00. I still think that is overpriced.

I believe one of two things will happen with these rifles:

1) They will adjust the price (and hopefully change the rifles a bit) to the American market

or

2) They will just stop making them.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
I saw the first one at my local range. The guy brought it in saying there was some kind of problem and the range officer shot a full mag and couldn't duplicate the problem.

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you for everyone's input. They are probably a bit overpriced for an AR style 7.62 rifle and I guess if you're not a die hard HK fan you prefer something lighter. Personally I doubt they will stop making them anytime soon since they invested into their US facility but if they're not selling enough of them who knows.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
For the price, I'd opt for an FN SCAR-H, too. I just couldn't see spending $3500 or more for an AR-based anything when I could build one from a stripped lower on up with exactly the parts I want for much less.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I love my HKs, but dang, $3300ish for a .308 AR type rifle? I'd love to try one, & compare to my RRA .308 Std. Operator, I love my RRA, can't imagine almost $2K better of a firearm.

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
36 Posts
It's part of the HK experience. Donning my old man beard and grabbing the shaky cane here...

I remember in 1988, when HK91s were gathering dust on shelves because the tags said $849. AR-15s were $449 to $599. The HK was too pricey, so only the hard-core enthusiasts and the well-heeled bought them. The rest of us just bought ARs.

Fast-forward to today, and Mister 762 is $3400 while nice ARs are around $1800. The HK is too pricey, so only the hard-core enthusiasts and the well-heeled are buying them. The rest of us are buying ARs.

History tends to repeat itself.

1 - 20 of 135 Posts