HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible or even legal to use a fully transferable RDIAS and turn an MR762 into a select fire machine gun (essentially a 417)?

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
Don't know legality of it but you gotta find a 417 bolt and upper for that. If I'm not mistaken the 762 is like the 556; there is a notch that prevents a full auto bolt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
If you can do it, please do it lol. That would be one heck of a fun MG.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Why would it be illegal? The radias is the registered part, you aren't making the mr762 work without it. How is it any different than using a registered pack with a clone?

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I have fired more than one 7.62x51 battle rifle on full auto and found them to be a complete, unusable waste of time. Exciting, but with no practical usability.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have fired more than one 7.62x51 battle rifle on full auto and found them to be a complete, unusable waste of time. Exciting, but with no practical usability.
Isn't that why a lot of FN FAL military rifles were semi-auto only? I believe it was the Falklands war where the British soldiers were turning in their (FN FAL variant) rifles for the Argentinian full-auto FN FAL rifles. I believe this was mostly a status thing among the British soldiers and not terribly practical in that conflict.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Certainly could be. I shot the G3 and the FAL myself. Both were too hot to hold after just a couple magazines, and neither could be kept entirely on a B27 target at 25Y.

Personally I've found automatic fire to be totally usable from a belt fed and an SMG, and virtually nothing in between.

It was fun though. Most of the class III world in the USA is heavy-six types dumping mags and belts into the dirt rather than actually shooting at a target with the intent to hit it as much and as quickly as possible, so if you're in it for the thrill ride, that's a different story and it's a roller coaster that won't disappoint.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Why would it be illegal? The radias is the registered part, you aren't making the mr762 work without it. How is it any different than using a registered pack with a clone?

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
The ATF has consistently ruled/stated that a registered conversion item [i.e. sear] can only be used in the same design family in which it was originally intended.

·
Vendor
1,325 Posts
The ATF has consistently ruled/stated that a registered conversion item [i.e. sear] can only be used in the same design family in which it was originally intended.
I think it would be fine as the 417/416/M16/AR15/AR10 etc. are in the same "family"
I would not have an issue doing it (if it just drops in)
MM

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
They have given conflicting guidance over the years. Most AR sears today are installed in guns that did not exist in 1986. Many were not designed for a specific make/model/caliber, but to fit a typical AR lower independent of make/model/caliber. Whether it is legal or not will only be sorted out by an Appeals Court. If no mods are made to the HK lower, that is a good sign.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The form 4 for my RDIAS says .223 caliber, so I'm guessing that it wouldn't be legal to use in 7.62/308.

·
Super Moderator
6,069 Posts
Well on top of that, you'll have to remember the MR556 and MR762 will probably get chewed up very quickly from full auto. Lots of dudes running MR uppers on machine gun lowers causing issues. I'd give Jesse a ring and see what he thinks about that, I know he's worked on a few uppers from rent-a-ranges.

·
Unrepentant HKHolic
Ones that go Bang
5,196 Posts
The form 4 for my RDIAS says .223 caliber, so I'm guessing that it wouldn't be legal to use in 7.62/308.
I am not saying if its legal or not on the DIAS in a MR762/417 but I know many guys who run 22LR, 9mm, 7.62x39, 7.62x25 uppers on their M16 lowers kinda like guys who's paper work says 9mm on their HK Sear yet they run them in other calibers......The HK Sear I have for sale now says caliber N/A

·
Banned
4,096 Posts
You have to look at, "what is the registered mg?". Just like an S&H sear, it's the sear {or RDIAS}, not the HK93, HK91, HKMP5K, SP89 or HK94. So just like the guys running RDIAS in MR556's.....what's the issue?

If in question, dial ATF.....and get it in writing.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
The ATF likes to make up rules as they go. I get wanting comfort in having a permission slip from them though.

I heard they freak out about people wanting to use FN FNC sears in FN SCARs.

Their interpretations of the law are just that. Personally, I don't have the money to hold a middle finger to them when it comes to NFA goodies, I wish I did. For anyone who does, just make sure you have a tax stamp to not make the ATF guessing game too easy on them!

·
Banned
2,002 Posts
Well on top of that, you'll have to remember the MR556 and MR762 will probably get chewed up very quickly from full auto. Lots of dudes running MR uppers on machine gun lowers causing issues. I'd give Jesse a ring and see what he thinks about that, I know he's worked on a few uppers from rent-a-ranges.
The barrels burn out super fast. I have spoken to a few guys who received clone 416s and didn't know it until....

1 - 20 of 39 Posts