HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Requiescat In Pace
3,807 Posts
What is your opinion on where the MR762 would fit in this comparison for accuracy?
It will be more in the range of the SR9 as it has a select barrel vs. a standard AR barrel such as on the HK91.
The PSG1 is in a class of its own capable of .25 MOA groups with the right ammo and shooter.

G3Kurz

·
Banned
4,248 Posts
It will be more in the range of the SR9 as it has a select barrel vs. a standard AR barrel such as on the HK91.
The PSG1 is in a class of its own capable of .25 MOA groups with the right ammo and shooter.

G3Kurz
True, but what shooter consistently capable of shooting .25 MOA groups would select the PSG-1 if given free rein (especially if it is one fitted with the old 6x scope)? With the exception of all-out accuracy, the 417 would probably get the nod for every other aspect (save coolness factor as that goes to the PSG1)

Modularity for accessories: 417
Optics: 417
Versatility: 417
Size/weight: 417

And given what G3Kurz has stated about the roller-lock design and the various locking pieces for different ammo, barrel lengths, etc., I would be much more confident using say 155 Scenar's or 185gr Berger loads in the 417. This isn't even factoring in a suppressor to the equation. All this for a lower price.

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
Did a poll here years ago and the SR9 shooters fell into two similar sized groups, those getting sub MOA (with one guy getting one hole groups every time) and those getting similar groups to a good clean scope HK91 with a good trigger and scope, something averaging around 1.5MOA (more than one and less than two ;-). Never saw any log books, averages or even how many round groups were fired or what ammo was used for the most part, so the "data" is really just stories. My two take aways were than Federal AE 150 FMJ worked as an ok shooter grade ammo (which is does) and that unless I wished to spend the cost of a PSG1, a bolt gun was a lot easier to get tiny groups with (the Sako TRG-42 in 338LM does just under 0.4 MOA with 3 shot groups ... still not a PSG1 but was a "gift" from a friend).

·
Premium Member
3,698 Posts
I would take the 417 as a DMR over the PSG1 (I know everyone start breathing again) the PSG1 is dated and will in my opinion never be fielded again due to the necessity of different parts, the time it would take to acquire the parts if dependent on HK parts line. As far as what would I rather have? Well you all know that answer the PSG1 all the way. I would take a A1 over the 417.

I am building a copy of both the long version and the "lightweight" version of the G28 as soon as I can get my hands on a few MRs.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I would pick any of the Roller Locks over the 417, just for the coolness factor, Love the 417, but AR platforms almost seem generic to me. And for the Sig 716, for the price, cannot go wrong. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

G3Kurz
I would like to hear more about the HK choosing process of "select" vs "standard" barrels, and whatever grade name is of the PSG1 barrels. Are there different grades of steel? Different inspections to pass? It would be good info to know.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Did a poll here years ago and the SR9 shooters fell into two similar sized groups, those getting sub MOA (with one guy getting one hole groups every time) and those getting similar groups to a good clean scope HK91 with a good trigger and scope, something averaging around 1.5MOA (more than one and less than two ;-). Never saw any log books, averages or even how many round groups were fired or what ammo was used for the most part, so the "data" is really just stories. My two take aways were than Federal AE 150 FMJ worked as an ok shooter grade ammo (which is does) and that unless I wished to spend the cost of a PSG1, a bolt gun was a lot easier to get tiny groups with (the Sako TRG-42 in 338LM does just under 0.4 MOA with 3 shot groups ... still not a PSG1 but was a "gift" from a friend).
My 91 is in that 1.5 moa area, maybe a little smaller/maybe a little bigger. I haven't shot it in years. My SR9TC, is most definitely sub moa and I had never gotten around to finding what pet load it liked. Had a friend with a SR9 with a PSG-1 trigger pack and I couldn't get that thing under 1.75 moa to save my life and that was with match ammo. Anyway.......my experience is pretty much in line with what you are stating.

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
My 91 is in that 1.5 moa area, maybe a little smaller/maybe a little bigger. I haven't shot it in years. My SR9TC, is most definitely sub moa and I had never gotten around to finding what pet load it liked. Had a friend with a SR9 with a PSG-1 trigger pack and I couldn't get that thing under 1.75 moa to save my life and that was with match ammo. Anyway.......my experience is pretty much in line with what you are stating.
You were probably two data points, back then :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts