HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I checked Surefire one and read that a lot of ppl didin't get what expected. As my rifle came without any brake, I am looking to drop one. Any suggestion form own experience would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
For MR556 or MR223?

·
Registered
430 Posts
What do you plan on doing with the rifle? For 3-gun, I picked up a Benny Hill Rolling Thunder brake. It works well, but isn't something I'd use outside of competition, as it is very loud.

I also have a Miculek brake, and a Dreadnaught Industries F2 brake, and all 3 seem to work about the same. If this is going to be a duty rifle, I'd either stick with the standard flash hider, or go with something like the mentioned Surefire, which will be a little less obnoxious.

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
mine is MR223
Then if you do not want to retread brake or barrel you need to use one with M15x1 tread. PWS makes special version for MR223 called FSC556HK. Also FSC91 fits MR223 but it is intended for 7.62mm. Arredondo makes their NxG brake/comp with M15x1, you just need to request this specifically (no option on webshop).

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I like the Sure Fire brakes as well as the Battle Comps. I think PWS is good also, but I'd give the nod to the SF and Battle Comps.

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
I'd give the nod to the SF and Battle Comps.
Neither can be mounted on MR223 without modification to the barrel.

·
Registered
53 Posts
For a break, I wouldn't use anything other than a Battlecomp 2.0 for an all-around rifle. Very little recoil and muzzle rise, and allows me to stay on target w/ a 4x ACOG like it's my job.

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
thread M15x1 is same as 15X1 right hand thread which is the thread pitch?
M15x1 denotes metric thread with nominal diameter of 15mm and thread pitch 1mm. When no remarks, right hand thread is assumed. M15x1 is standard HK thread used for rifles.

Using muzzle brake like Battlecomp or Surefire would require turning down original thread and cutting 1/2"x28tp UNF thread as used in AR15/M4/M16. This brakes can not be rethreaded into M15x1, there is not enough material on them for this.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
good info, for Canada side, seems like hard to find OEM parts and a lot of US dealers don't want to ship either :( I went wirh ARREDONDO nXg Compensator, I hope guys understood about thread :) Thnx Montrala

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
I went wirh ARREDONDO nXg Compensator
To mount it you will need to have made collar that will cover recessed plain part of barrel after threads. You can make it out of original thread protector nut. Or you can go in "scrapyard challenge" way, like I did. I stacked 4 (four!) AR-10 crush washers (then I carefully checked if brake is concentric to the bore). Anyway you will need to figure out what you like best. If I would have some time, I would pay a visit to gunsmith and ask him to convert HK thread protector into counter-nut to mount brake.

Me shooting MR223 with nXg:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I thought you can just drop it with washer if you have right thread.
Montrala, you do 3gun matches every week? Nice

·
Registered
765 Posts
Thnx for the reply, I am looking if there somethign universal, less bang :)
Less bang for whom? No muzzle brake is going to have a sound suppression effect, but different designs will change the direction of a the main waves of sound. Most good competiton style compensators are perceived to be louder to the shooter and others on the line, because they direct the muzzle blast (and with it, the pressure waves that create sound) sideways.

I remember seeing one brake that had no side openings. Still reduced flash, but directed the blast and sound forward.

If you want truly less bang, then you'll be looking for a suppressor, and should visit the NFA section of the forum.

·
Registered
765 Posts
good info, for Canada side, seems like hard to find OEM parts and a lot of US dealers don't want to ship either :( I went wirh ARREDONDO nXg Compensator, I hope guys understood about thread :) Thnx Montrala
It's not that U.S. dealers dont want to ship it and get more business. It's that neither you nor they want to pay the thousands of dollars for an export license for what is roughly a $100 part. That's before you even get into Canadian import restrictions or requirements, which I don't know enough about to comment on.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts