HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been meaning to post this for several weeks, but my life has been a bit hectic.

I bought the rifle from a board member, @caf82313 , last year. Great rifle, I couldn't be happier. It is a Brownell's lower, with OEM HK everything else.

Anyway, I finally got a chance to zero my rifle and NF scope. I went with a NF NXS-2.5-10X42 Zero Stop, second focal plane. @dms16 recommended the scope. Scope is set in a Bravo mount, also picked up from a board member. I sighted the rifle in at 100y with Federal Match 168gr ammo. I have other manufacture's 168gr Match ammo, but I have not yet shot the other manufacture's ammo.

I also mounted an RMR on an ARISKA off-set mount, which I dialed in at 25y. Threw a MagPul bi-pod I had on her. I just recently picked up an OEM MLOK handguard (HKey is not my jam).

So, dialing in the scope was much easier/quicker than I anticipated. I have to say, I really like this set up. Sure, she is a bit of a heavy pig, but this gun far exceeds my abilities in the accuracy department.

I am going to shoot out to 200y (hopefully this weekend). And I'm trying to get access to a private range that pushes out to 500--600y's, to really see what I can do. I make no claim to be a long-range sniper guy, rather I find ranged shooting to be fun and "therapeutic," so this is purely for my entertainment.

If you are interested in an AR10 style rifle that you want to set up for long range'ish work and/or entertainment, an MR762 is worth looking at. This is definitely not a door-kicker gun, that is what my 10.5" 416 is for, as she is a heavy girl. But, to sit or lay behind on a rest or bi-pod, it is a dream to shoot.

anyway, just my opinion. As usual, I have gotten nothing but quality input/info from board members here.

take care, and stay safe.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sticker is off now, that pic was from when I first took the scope out of the box and set it in the mount.

Thanks to all who helped and advised on this project.

·
Premium Member
3,379 Posts
Can you compare to the ATACR line?

I've got an ATACR on my 556 DMR and want to put it on my MR762 and was thinking about an NXS or NX8 for my 556 DMR.
I can...
(and LCSO would probably be steering you this way anyways)

The NXS 2.5-10x42 is the best of the 2.5-10x. The x24 is small and cramped in comparison. The discontinued x32 is a compromise in between; no parallax adj but more forgiving. Though not sexy by today's standards the full range of magnification is solid and not pushing image/optical limits on max power. My biggest knock would probably be in my personal distaste for Mil-R design and the discontinuation of the regular mildot.
I was able to push mine out to just shy of 900y in 25-30mph winds with my old mk12.

The NX8 series is also full of compromises. I used an NX8 for a while on duty. I find it to be wildly overrated and overpriced for the money. I wouldn't quite say I "hated" it but I certainly didn't like it compared to many others I've used. I'd never pick it even over an older Gen 2 Razor HD 1-6x. It's good at being small and not good an anything else compared to other models. Many complain that it's not very good on the low end and better on max magnification; I actually found the opposite to be true that the 1x wasn't terrible but its cramped, stressed and terrible at the top end and the reticle is bad.
The 2.5-20x50 NX8 though is a neat little optic that's a little bigger than the NXS and a better value than some. A little bigger and some touchy points but a lot more optic for the money. IF you find that you really need 0.2 mil stadia and that much magnification (on a 5.56 dmr...it is not a requirement despite how much many feel they want it)

The ATACR is fine but a little overrated as well. They have a better reticle in the 1-8x now, but I have found it's more of a DMR style optic and not great on the lowest end for speed with the eye box and the illuminated reticle style (vs. LED or fiber optic tech). Needs to be paired with an offset red dot for "door-kickin'" CQB stuff for sure.
The ATACR 4-16x42 is a neat scope but a little pricey. Very sensitive to parallax adj (as are many NF), but a sleek scope none the less if you can stand the relatively heavy weight of it for the "medium" magnification/compact class it occupies.

In my experience, NF's are safe bets though their touted reputation is a bit inflated. They all have compromises in some feature be it eye box, reticle, weight, etc. That said, given that many others are quickly pricing themselves out of the market, they are still VERY relevant optics worthy of consideration.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I can...
(and LCSO would probably be steering you this way anyways)

The NXS 2.5-10x42 is the best of the 2.5-10x. The x24 is small and cramped in comparison. The discontinued x32 is a compromise in between; no parallax adj but more forgiving. Though not sexy by today's standards the full range of magnification is solid and not pushing image/optical limits on max power. My biggest knock would probably be in my personal distaste for Mil-R design and the discontinuation of the regular mildot.
I was able to push mine out to just shy of 900y in 25-30mph winds with my old mk12.

The NX8 series is also full of compromises. I used an NX8 for a while on duty. I find it to be wildly overrated and overpriced for the money. I wouldn't quite say I "hated" it but I certainly didn't like it compared to many others I've used. I'd never pick it even over an older Gen 2 Razor HD 1-6x. It's good at being small and not good an anything else compared to other models. Many complain that it's not very good on the low end and better on max magnification; I actually found the opposite to be true that the 1x wasn't terrible but its cramped, stressed and terrible at the top end and the reticle is bad.
The 2.5-20x50 NX8 though is a neat little optic that's a little bigger than the NXS and a better value than some. A little bigger and some touchy points but a lot more optic for the money. IF you find that you really need 0.2 mil stadia and that much magnification (on a 5.56 dmr...it is not a requirement despite how much many feel they want it)

The ATACR is fine but a little overrated as well. They have a better reticle in the 1-8x now, but I have found it's more of a DMR style optic and not great on the lowest end for speed with the eye box and the illuminated reticle style (vs. LED or fiber optic tech). Needs to be paired with an offset red dot for "door-kickin'" CQB stuff for sure.
The ATACR 4-16x42 is a neat scope but a little pricey. Very sensitive to parallax adj (as are many NF), but a sleek scope none the less if you can stand the relatively heavy weight of it for the "medium" magnification/compact class it occupies.

In my experience, NF's are safe bets though their touted reputation is a bit inflated. They all have compromises in some feature be it eye box, reticle, weight, etc. That said, given that many others are quickly pricing themselves out of the market, they are still VERY relevant optics worthy of consideration.
Thanks for the detailed response!

I kind of assumed most of what you said, but it's excellent to hear feedback from a user of the different lines. The NX8 idea probably needs to be tossed.

I've got the ATACR 4-16x42 and I like it, but it is pricey for what it is; and heavy. Actually thought about getting a second one.

OPs setup looks great and he's obviously doing some good shooting with it. Thanks for posting OP.

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
I had a NF NX 1x8 and thought it was way overrated. Terrible eye box. Liked my Razor gen2 way more.

I have an ATACR 1x8 and 5x25 (purchased in 2021) and can’t really fault them. Mil XT reticle. I think the glass is phenomenal and I have had direct comparisons with Kahles and S&B at the time and place. NF is right there image quality wise imo.

Whatever you get I would recommend reading up on First Focal plane Vs second Focal Plane. Quite a bit of difference.

Nice shootin to the OP!

·
Premium Member
4,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks to all, especially @dms16 , if it isn’t totally obvious, dms16 helped me navigate the world of optics for this project. His knowledge regarding rifles in general, but specifically precision marksmanship and equipment has been very helpful to me for many years.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts