HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I basically copied the Nambian style forearm except I used holes instead of slots. Unlike the original slimline green plastic forearm that came on my PTR91 GI that gets HOT!! (even with the heat shield) after a bit of rapid fire (40rds), the wide forearm didn't get hot per se but you could still feel a bit of warmth. So I figured why not and drilled some holes. I used a block of wood to support the heatshield as I drilled.

Now I can feel the heat escaping from the forearm and it barely warms up when shooting. The wood forearm I first went with didn't have the heat issue as bad as the slim plastic one did but still warms up more then the wide one does. I still have a set of wood furniture I can swap to if I want, as I really like the look and feel.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Wow tough crowd, 86 views and no comments. LOL

·
Registered
670 Posts
Well honestly I was hoping for you to add a side view before I commented, but doesn't look too bad from what I can see.

How'd you do it, drill press, mill, free hand? What diameter holes did you go with?

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry the picture was there it just didn't show because I had missed a formatting command.

I used a drill press after I laid out the locations with a ruler. The bottom was easy as I could simply hold it against the table but due to the angle of the sides I had to do those semi-free hand as I braced the forearm with a piece of wood while working the press. I started with an 1/8" pilot hole and then used a 3/8" for the final size. A block of wood inside kept the heat shield distortion to a minimum but I admit I could have done a better job of that part.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It would look good if you could mill it out between the holes on the sides.
Actually I had given some thought to that in my original planning but prefer the holes the way they are.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Thanks for the details, I'd be tempted to do similar, but don't have ready access to the equipment I'd like to use, and I'm leery of botching a green wide forearm. I have messed around with the slim forearms, drilling out the holes, and cutting them down to 93 length, I usually take out the heatshield and rivet it back in when I'm finished.

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
Great idea Steve! Thanks for sharing w/ us.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts