HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been contemplating an HK91 build but I REALLY wanted to go with genuine HK parts... and shelling out $2k+ for a complete one wasn't really in the budget. So I went to the local shop today to buy a scope for my SL8/G36 project and the owner pulled this out for me (dam him!)...

It's an original "IC" date code HK91 with "IB" date code internals (I'm assuming that perhaps this is ok since it is feasible that HK had some IB internals left from earlier production runs?). The rifle has some "handling" scuffs but the internals are clean and the furniture looks good.

$1600 incl. genuine bipod (plus as a bonus, he had an original sealed HK91 accessory pack--not from this rifle, but original and sealed none the less).

I thought it was a great price so I bought it... opinions from any of you HK9x series gurus about the date codes and price would be appreciated!

·
2,832 Posts
you did well :)

and yes a IC with IB guts in possible and highly likely, I am sure i have one just like it IC with IB guts.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
WOW! Congrats! That is a very beautiful rifle. My dream Rifle in fact! Wish I could have one.

Feel free to post more pictures! :D

Congrats again!

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
Good shopping Grasshopper!! You done real good.:20000000:

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks guys! I was hoping I made a good find!

Quick question for those who know... is it normal for the cocking handle to be tough to "break" open for cocking? I've really got to give the thing a really solid tug to pop the lever out.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Thanks guys! I was hoping I made a good find!

Quick question for those who know... is it normal for the cocking handle to be tough to "break" open for cocking? I've really got to give the thing a really solid tug to pop the lever out.

Thanks again!
It can be. You're actually unlocking the rollers when you pop out the handle (try doing this with an empty mag well and watch the bolt and bolt carrier separate). Kinda tight is much better than kinda loose, which can cause problems, like failing to unlock said rollers.

Of course if this is a lightly/never used rifle the parts may wear in a little over time and make it easier.

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It can be. You're actually unlocking the rollers when you pop out the handle (try doing this with an empty mag well and watch the bolt and bolt carrier separate). Kinda tight is much better than kinda loose, which can cause problems, like failing to unlock said rollers.

Of course if this is a lightly/never used rifle the parts may wear in a little over time and make it easier.
I did notice that but I thought it would be best to ask. I don't think this thing has many miles on it as the internals have very minimal signs of wear (less wear on the inside than on the outside!) and the bolt gap is still good (of course it could have been adjusted). I feels very tight, all the way through. Can't wait to shoot it!

Thank you!

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
302 Posts
You've done quite well I would say! You're going to love that thing but let me suggest that you look for a heavier buffer than the factory one. I was lucky enough that my first 91 happened to have one in it so I had no idea what everyone was talking about with the 'stout recoil'. That rifle had to go to pay for tuition but the buffer stayed with me and now happily spends its time hanging out in my new 91!

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You've done quite well I would say! You're going to love that thing but let me suggest that you look for a heavier buffer than the factory one. I was lucky enough that my first 91 happened to have one in it so I had no idea what everyone was talking about with the 'stout recoil'. That rifle had to go to pay for tuition but the buffer stayed with me and now happily spends its time hanging out in my new 91!
Yeah, I've seen a lot of talk about this too. What's it do? Reduce recoil? I'm not a stocky fella, about 145lbs dripping wet, lol... but I've been shooting bolt-action 30-06's and .308's since I was a kid so heavy recoil isn't something new.

How can I tell if mine already may have a heavy buffer? Are there markings to look for?

Thanks! (can you tell I'm really new at the HK9x series? :D)

·
Registered
31 Posts
you are so lucky on that buy dude. congrats. give it a few sessions at the range and it'll be a range favorite for you. as far as the recoil goes, mine still has the factory recoil buffer. i'm a light weight like you and the recoil was strong at first, but i got use to it after a few trips to the range. if your already use to strong recoil, i wouldn't worry too much about the 91's.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts