HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I waiting on the local gun shop to get in another black USC then I plan on the conversion.
What I know now
New black USC $1375 cash price
HDPS seems to get the most attention and good feedback
I want nothing to do with Speshul Weapons
I want to do this myself a friend of mine has a mill and his hobby is smithing so the machine work is taken care of.
UMP lower $300-$400
Mags $55-$75
Stock $200

What I need to know
Why does a 922 part have to be a barrel? or does it?
Can I just get some other parts to qualify instead of a barrel?
I want to try to stay away from bastardsizing so I want to use the stock that fits the unmodified USC/UMP recievers, or does that matter?
Which lower do i need?
And anything else i missed.

·
Registered
685 Posts
save yourself some $$ on the lower and stock, get them from Gordon Miller.
$225 for the lower, and I think $119 for the stock. IM or email me for his contact info.
I went with the 2 position FBI lower, mainly to keep from getting hassled with "is that thing full auto" all the time.
There is no stock that 'fits' the receiver, the closest you will get is the stock block type B from Ed at HDPS.
There is no requirement for the barrel to be one of the 922 parts, there are a few options. Mag plate, mag follower, trigger, sear, stock.
TN is about to start selling us made triggers and sears, and I have heard rumors of a completly US made magazine that would be made of 3 of the required US parts all in itself.

hope this helps.

Steve

Steve

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Question... When you say "black" USC, where do you find a black USC?
they make them in black now http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=77683931

save yourself some $$ on the lower and stock, get them from Gordon Miller.
$225 for the lower, and I think $119 for the stock. IM or email me for his contact info.
I went with the 2 position FBI lower, mainly to keep from getting hassled with "is that thing full auto" all the time.
There is no stock that 'fits' the receiver, the closest you will get is the stock block type B from Ed at HDPS.
There is no requirement for the barrel to be one of the 922 parts, there are a few options. Mag plate, mag follower, trigger, sear, stock.
TN is about to start selling us made triggers and sears, and I have heard rumors of a completly US made magazine that would be made of 3 of the required US parts all in itself.

hope this helps.

Steve

Steve
IM sent

·
Registered
172 Posts
During my own conversion process I remember getting an e-mail back from Ed @ HDPS detailing the process and the costs for each component, and the US-made barrel that he tries to push with his conversion process is what drove me to use Top Notch (TN) for my conversion. It just makes no sense to replace a perfectly good full-length HK barrel with a full-length US-made compliance barrel costing several hundred dollars.

TN has US-made sears and triggers, although I don't know if he'll sell you one. Call Wade at TN and ask, even if he charges you $50 that beats buying a whole new barrel.

If I had my conversion to do over again, I'd send it to Ed @ HDPS for assembly, but I'd buy one of TN's US-made triggers and use Ed's magazine baseplate (I already have 3) and Ed's magazine followers. That gives you the 3 compliance parts for the least amount of $$$.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Im considering ordering some parts and a black usc. I would like to know what is required to make the parts fit? I see people talk about having to do some machining what is the actual process? could it be done or is there intesive machine work envolved? i havent had a usc or ump in my hands so sorry if some of these questions are dumb

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
what mods need to be done to the FBI lower? does it need a block?

eta: is it the same as other lowers? would a receiver screw or rails count as a 922 part?

·
Registered
71 Posts
well just got home from my regular ffl and picked up a brand new usc, black for 1319.99 plus tax of course. i just about shi*t myself when i saw it on the shelf. and to think that i was kickin myself for not purchasing a used one for 1250 the other day. so as i stated before. what needs to be done to the upper to get it to fit the ump mags?

·
Banned
366 Posts
well just got home from my regular ffl and picked up a brand new usc, black for 1319.99 plus tax of course. i just about shi*t myself when i saw it on the shelf. and to think that i was kickin myself for not purchasing a used one for 1250 the other day. so as i stated before. what needs to be done to the upper to get it to fit the ump mags?
Week ago I didn't even know they made USC's in black. Now I know pretty much everything about them and who make what parts etc lol. I love these forums. So damn informative.

Ok. You can't use UMP mags in the USC. The USC is a single stack design, the UMP is a double stack design. The mag well of the UMP lower is a bit more wide then that of the USC. Simply won't fit.

You would need a FBI semi auto lower, 2 Round Burst Lower or NAVY F/A lower to start.

Then, you have to machine, and when I say machine, I use this term loosely because you can "dremel" out the upper receiver where the magazine sits so the UMP mag will fit.

Oviously you will need a HDPS stock block and a UMP stock too as well as some 922 compliance parts.

You need three 922 parts. Two of them can be the magazine floor plate and the magazine follower. Please note you must have the floor plate and follower for EACH UMP magazine you own to technically be 922 legal.

Then you just need one other part. Right now it looks like the only option is the HDPS barrel but I've got a machinist who is going to copy the trigger or sear for me as soon as my HK USC gets here because I can't see the point in not using the HK factory 16 inch barrel. That and I can pay for a sear or something with a case of beer and save myself almost $300 dollars.

Or... Wait for HDPS's stock block "C" and use an American style stock on the UMP. Personally, I want the factory HK stock. I'm actually surprised no ones made more triggers or sears yet like Top Notch did. People would buy them.

·
Banned
366 Posts
Oh, and I hope I don't get yelled at by Ed for saying this but HDPS will have US made USC/UMP triggers in about two months if you can hold out.

Hell, who knows maybe everyone already knows it anyway.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Then you just need one other part. Right now it looks like the only option is the HDPS barrel but I've got a machinist who is going to copy the trigger or sear for me as soon as my HK USC gets here because I can't see the point in not using the HK factory 16 inch barrel. That and I can pay for a sear or something with a case of beer and save myself almost $300 dollars.
Top-Notch Parts makes US-made folding stocks, triggers and sears. Their folding stock isn't an exact copy of the HK one though, if I remember right the round part at the front where it swivels on the stock block is a different diameter, so you would need to have the TN stock block to use it.

Or you could just call Wade at Top-Notch and get him to sell you one of the triggers and then use Ed's baseplate and follower. As I said in a previous post, if I had the whole thing to do over again that's what I'd do. There's no point in waiting for Ed to make a trigger or buy one of his barrels when you can already get the triggers from Top-Notch Parts.

·
Banned
366 Posts
I believe the problem is, Wade is currently out of everything of interest. Thats what I was told by people who did the conversion recently anyway.

No triggers, no sears made in the USA right now. Hence why HDPS is going to make some triggers. That way people are not forced into buying the barrels.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'm actually surprised no ones made more triggers or sears yet like Top Notch did. People would buy them.
true that! let me know what your smith figures out i would like to know. also do you have any info on the "dremel" job? im pretty handy with that damn thing and think that i could do the job however im wondering if that will be tricky with the way the mag seats? if you could pass on the links that you have read about this that would be great.

also just wondering here but if i purchase a fbi semi lower would i still need to swapout my usc lower parts?

thanks

·
Registered
71 Posts
ok. heres a good question. where does the SBR engraving have to be. im hearing mixed things about this on the differant fourms that i talk on. i have been told receiver only. then i heard barrel or other places. where are you guys putting it? i just thinking about if i decide to sell later?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have my UMP Parts and now my USC came in so before i get started is there a proper way to disasemble the lower or do the pins drive right out? Ed is still not selling triggers and out of stock blocks (the only parts i'm lacking) Anything else i need to know?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I went ahead and tapped the pins out from the left side and they came right out(it appeared they went in from the right side) Does anyone have problems with TN triggers or followers and base plates? Does the stock block from Eds come with everything i need or do i need pins to go with it?

·
Banned
366 Posts
Well...

I can't make an official comment here as I've not seen the TN trigger but I know Ed is making his triggers from steel because of issues the aluminum TN ones had.

Something about the aluminum being too soft and the pin causing the hole to wallow out over time? Don't remember for sure.

Anyway, the HDPS steel US made trigger isn't officially for sale yet but I have the first one off the CNC machines here in my possession the quality and finish it GREAT. Little tweaking here and there by Ed and the current production run drops right in, no fitting, no sanding, no filing etc. Just drops right in and goes.

As for the HDPS Stock Block, Ed is currently out of stock on these. He will have more shortly, maybe a few weeks? Not sure the exact date but as soon as he finishes his current run of US made triggers, he will do more stock blocks.

No they do not come with the "pin" though. You need to buy a factory HK UMP stock pin to go with it. They vary in price depending who you buy them from. I've seen them for as much as $25.00 dollars but if you buy it from Ed, he only charges $5.50 for them.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts