HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The turnaround was way faster than I was expecting. They estimated 6 weeks... it look like 2. Communication was excellent throughout the process. I got a call after they received it to have a verbal discussion about what exactly I was looking for, clearing up a few questions they had from the description I sent with the gun. He texted me pics right to my cell along the way. I wanted it a little darker than the first step, so he added a little more darkening then sent another pic.

This was my "sand" 45C that I wanted to have done in the battle worn finish. I'm really happy with how it turned out! Now I don't want to put a rubber Talon grip on like my black 45C though! Maybe I'll throw some sports tape on the grip like Book of Eli style. ;)

Here are a couple of pics. I'm sure I'll be sending something else to him in the future. It would be awesome to have a custom USP 45... but I'm not sending my tan one. Maybe I'll have to pick up a used black version. Hopefully someone has those cheap PD trade-ins again soon.

·
Registered
11 Posts
NICE! I like how that turned out.
Did you ever find out what coating was applied before? Just curious because it scuffed so easily for cerakote.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
NICE! I like how that turned out.
Did you ever find out what coating was applied before? Just curious because it scuffed so easily for cerakote.

Don't know for sure. HK seems to say it's Cerakote, but even the feel of it was radically different than this feels. The finish seems thinner and less slippery than the "sand" finish that HK had applied. From the factory it seemed thicker, almost like a latex paint. I'm not saying it was a latex paint. I'm quite certain it wasn't, but that's the impression I got from the feeling.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Badass!!!

·
Premium Member
869 Posts
That looks GREAT! As anal as I am when I clean my guns though, I would never know when to stop....it's almost a work of art though so I'm not sure I would shoot a gun that looks so nice. Enjoy!! Cheers

·
Registered
5,538 Posts
That looks so sick! I love it! Would love to have a matching pair of Black USP .45 and Black HK45 (Book of Eli style) :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mike (blowndeadline)does awesome work, i have been recommending him for years to my friends who want a "less traditional" look to their cerakoted firearms. I'm about to send my 3rd to him next week...

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
...cause to heck with puttin' in the work the old fashioned way.

"Battle worn"
"Shabby chic"
"Distressed"

(SMFH)

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
...cause to heck with puttin' in the work the old fashioned way.

"Battle worn"
"Shabby chic"
"Distressed"

(SMFH)
Here it is before sending it for refinishing...

It's not going to be a safe queen. I have no problem shooting the gun. I just wasn't a huge fan of the totally solid ral8000 color... but they were on super sale at $749.

Don't like it? Keep scrolling.

·
Registered
92 Posts

It's not going to be a safe queen. I have no problem shooting the gun. I just wasn't a huge fan of the totally solid ral8000 color... but they were on super sale at $749.

The work on the new finish does look well done but not my thing. I'd probably be happier with it pre-refinish after the kleen strip and steel wool. But I would have just let the crappy finish continue wearing without the added help. All that matters is that you like and it sounds like mission accomplished so enjoy it.

·
Registered
332 Posts
nice looking weapon ! i've used the cerakote high temp air dry on a couple of my AK's . easy to apply and tuff as epoxy . i've seen a few AK's and sidearms with the BFPU look on cerakotes galley, some of these finishes are true artist and masters of camouflage .

·
Registered
2,551 Posts

Now I'm really confused. You're saying you buggered it up on purpose, didn't like it and paid some one to make it look like a prettier wear job? Y'all mufu**ers are an odd bunch.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts