HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It took me a while to get here, but I thought I'd share the story of my journey in the hope it might help someone, somewhere. I am a rifle shooter; I carry a pistol only should I need to fight my way to a rifle. I carry in four basic modes, business, travel, and concealed. For business I always have a PC in a case, so concealed carry is not limited by size or weight. Travel is by truck or motorcycle, only the bike presented additional challenges. Personal CC is pretty standard, IWB with a long shirt.

The twist comes in caliber and style. I have always wanted one solution for all my needs. My thinking is I should train with what I hope I will never need but should be prepared with. I like .45ACP for shooting and reloading. After researching the web I believe most calibers in quality brands will be effective, but I still like .45. The .40S&W has a little snappier recoil, and I'm not as happy reloading the 40 compared to .45. I seem to base my choices around what works for me with my motorcycle. I needed something small enough to fit in an outside coat pocket since I don't like to ride with a holster. I never found a .45 that I liked, so I have a lightweight S&W in .357Mag. Small, light, painful to train with, not very accurate in my hands, it only holds five rounds, but it fits, won't snag, could be fired from my pocket and most importantly, I always have it. Still, not my final solution and I always knew it.

I have always loved 1911's; I have lots of Colts from Government Gold Cups down to Defenders, with everything in between. My favorite is a combination of two, the slide from a lightweight bobtailed commander on a custom reworked Officer's frame. In a Brommeland holster it disappears well but I struggle getting 100% reliability, the new Wilson mags seem to be working better than the Tripp Cobras, but every once in a while a FTF that always lingers in the back of my mind. My full size and commander Colts are very reliable and I can shoot them well enough, but locked and cocked just doesn't do it for me in a bike wreck.

I picked up a Springfield XD sub-compact in .40 S&W. I liked the additional grip safety over a Glock style pistol, not happy with cocked and unlocked. The XD was small enough to fit and I really liked the way it just naturally pointed for me. Price was good too. The downside was I was loading .40 which has less forgiveness in my mind; I've had some reloads where if I push the bullet hard I can sometimes get the bullet to slide back in the case. Lots of shooters reload .40 without issue; I just worry with high pressure rounds. I still reload the .40; I'm just a little more careful than I feel I need to be with .45ACP. The reloads are for practice only; I always use Winchester Ranger for carry. I always check weigh all my rounds, either for carry or practice, and I always chamber gauge all my carry rounds. The real issue with the XD is the striker; I just wasn't comfortable riding with a preloaded firing pin. Still, the XD is a great handgun, just wasn't right for me, for my odd needs. It when to a good home, a retired teacher friend bought it, and had a local gunsmith do a trigger job on it, he loves it.

I tried a subcompact Berretta, my 96 Vertec is very reliable so I though a 9000SF might replace the XD. The grip was big and fat, the sights snagged on holsters, and it was .40 S&W, but I liked the fact it wasn't a striker design and it was reliable feeder. Just never bonded with it, sold it to a friend as an upgrade to his Ruger 9mm, he really considers it a big improvement as far as accuracy, so it worked out.

I was back to the the S&W 340PD, still searching. One day at a lunch hour range trip, a co-worker joined me. He had four pistols, two Glocks and two H&Ks. They were 9mm or .40 S&W, maybe even a .45, I just don't remember. What I do remember was thinking I shot the H&K very well with very little effort. It wasn't until a year or more went by that I though, gee, why not consider either a SIG or H&K? A trip to Jensen Arms convinced me all the .45s where BIG and chucky. But I researched the web, got a lot of good info on this site, but still couldn't find a .45 that felt good. Then it hit me, go back to .40 S&W and see if there is a decent light, non-striker, DA/SA in a polymer frame. I settled on a P2000SK in .40 S&W. First trip to the range it swallowed every type of ammo I could feed it, never a hint of a hiccup. It shot well, and is small enough to carry in my motorcycle jackets. For work I carry an extended magazine for the extra capacity and the slightly better grip fit. The only downside is the caliber, the recoil is sharper than the .45ACP but certainly very manageable if I practice and do my part. Should have been a happy ending but then I heard about the new SIG P250. A sub-compact in .45ACP? Only downside is it is months or years away. What we call vaporware in the software business.

My Brommeland holster for my Colt Commanders works very well, so well I would consider carrying it on a bike, but not a 1911 locked and cocked. What about a USPc in .45? A phone call to CDNN solved the lack of a USP, and an email to Remy at Brommeland changed a pending P2000SK holster into a USPc. Tomorrow the weather should be warm and sunny, time to head to the range and see which H&K I can honestly shoot best. I'm curious to compare. I'll still consider the SIG P250, but I suspect I'll still be carrying a H&K years from now, maybe the HK45c?

·
Premium Member
3,979 Posts
Not all that different from my journey to HK, although my journey took me from Sig and Glock, to HK.

welcome to the board...

·
Registered
12 Posts
started with glocks, then to Berettas, now to Hk's

got a 21sf now hoping it would fit me better...I was wrong. Hate it. doesn't fit me. looking to unload it to a friend of mine

on the other hand. every Hk I have fits my needs, except my bank account

Gary

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
Started with STI´s 1911 clone, commander sized .45 - just loved the looks of the gun. Tried several BUGs to carry easier then - SW J-Frame, Kahr MK9... and bought my first P7. Then 2nd. Then... well let´s just say that the ball is rolling and nothing shows it could be ever stopped :)

·
Registered
269 Posts
Well I have owned anything worth owning but my first pistol when I was 21 was a USP 40 V1 full size. I have had lots of guns since in the 13 years to follow my first handgun purchase but now I have mostly HK and have no reason to change. I guess I got it right the first time and it took some buying other hand guns to figure out HK really is the best.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I own Glock as well as HK.

Welcome to the forum!!

·
Registered
325 Posts
I was going to go from a .22 straight to a USP 9mm, except that my local gun store had a sale on Springfield 1911's so I bought myself a Loaded first, and THEN I got the USP. My next purchase is going to be a P7M8, followed by a v.2 P2000... and at some point I want to buy myself an M1A, but yea... not H&K :p

·
Registered
381 Posts
Went from Glock to Beretta to Kimber to HK. I love HK though I do love Sig. I am going to get myself a nice 1911 as well. Probably a Colt.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I respect HK, SIG, and Beretta. Glocks are ok as well, though I would only own a 19 and 26.

An HK P2000SK is my favorite right now, after a long affair with the G-26.
An HK USP Compact is my favorite Compact right now, replacing the G-19 in that role.

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
For my first gun purchase I walked into the shop, the friendly owner said "what kind of gun do you want?". I responded instantly "that one" pointing to the USP. Journey over. :)

·
Registered
226 Posts
I have to say that I first fell in love with HK's from playing Rainbow Six: Rogue Spear some years ago. I tried to get my father to buy a USP since I was 14 or 15, but he wasn't into the polymer framed pistols. I am 22 now and just purchased my first HK USP .40....HK PSP to follow.

·
Registered
2 Posts
journey to hk

gents-- my first centerfire semi auto was a p7 m8. this was in 1985, before the usp line was introduced. i've been hkrazy ever since, having added a p7m13, p7m10, usp40c, and a tac45, with my heart set on an hk45c as soon as it hits the market. i've had, and have, many others, but my prodigal trigger finger always returns home. nothing else like 'em for me..... regards-- deguelo

·
Registered
69 Posts
bzinbv,
Welcome to the board. Quite a journey!!! Mine was very similar, I still like and carry different models and cals. I do, however, carry my USPc .40S&W more than the others.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Shot my first hand gun one year ago and imediately liked the HK. (Long time long gun shooter, don't know how I never shot hand guns.) It wasn't long before it became a love affair. Really really love the USP 45f, carry the USP 40f on duty. Shot several at the range with friends and at the rental range. No comparison. The only thing that even made me slow down and shoot it a second time because it was close was a Sig, but the big HK USP 45f still won out. Tried 4 different 1911s, a couple of S&W's, 3 dif. sigs, 2 glocks, I guess I sould mention a Ruger, although it hardly fits in the same sentence, and a couple of revolvers too. Nope, none of them were as sweet. Been bit bad by 'da HK bug.
I do like smaller frame guns in smaller calibers though. Got an HK model 4 and really really love that in .32. (In this size I've also found room in my heart for a Walther PP) Would really really really love to see a NEW HK in .32 cal with frame size similar to the ol' model 4. So sweet. I can't carry concealed in CA but I would think there would be an interest for a smaller frame. But I digress. Tried to like the others, just kept comming back to HK from the very start.
Just got to have a couple more. Got my list. When is Christmas anyway?

WELCOME TO HK AND HOPE YOU ENJOY YOUR HK!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts