HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I got my USPc 45 in today and my FFL asked that I never use them to transfer a gun from Clyde's again. They said that while Clyde's required a faxed copy of their FFL to make the transfer, they refused to furnish my FFL with a copy of their paperwork. My FFL mentioned while this isnt a requirement, it is a professional courtesy, especially considering that clyde's requires this paperwork to ship.

My FFL said that Clyde's was told by the ATF to keep their FFL closely guarded and not to share it with others, which they said is their choice, but they would like me to go elseware if I want to buy guns from Clyde's in the future. This is really a shame because this is the most friendly FFL I have found and they never try to sell me on anything, not to mention they will take hours answering any questions I have about anything from guns to reloading. Unfortunately, their prices on HK's are quite a bit more than Clyde's (about $800.00 plus taxes and fees for a stock USP with no night sights) and they never get the LE packages in :(

·
Registered
802 Posts
The receiving FFL needs to send the FFL paperwork. The sender doesn't. It's no different than if I was to sell a gun to you. I would need your FFL's paperwork so I can send the gun to your FFL. But your FFL won't get any paper from me.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
There have been a few threads in the past on this with people's FFL's complaining about Clyde Armory's policy. Scooter explained it best and I do not see why some dealers/FFL's get all worked up over something like this. I am glad that my guy doesn't mind because Clyde's is a great shop to deal with.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There have been a few threads in the past on this with people's FFL's complaining about Clyde Armory's policy. Scooter explained it best and I do not see why some dealers/FFL's get all worked up over something like this. I am glad that my guy doesn't mind because Clyde's is a great shop to deal with.
I dont know but this FFL is very trusting and family run. They even ship out guns for me and dont charge me shipping until they get the gun back from repair or service. They are just the nicest people and I havent known them to complain about things for the sake of complaining. Maybe they do it because they are small, relatively new, and want to cover their butt's just in case?

·
Registered
238 Posts
You don't need to have your FFL ship a gun for repair...

Is there some sort of danger in releasing their FFL to the receiving FFL? I know it's not required, and never had a problem buying from Clyde's (great people over there)...just curious, however. The only issue I have with Clyde's is that they do not like credit cards.

How many of you buy guns off an online website? Curious as well...

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It wasnt going for repair it was being shipped to my FFL for transfor to me. I order HK's online most of the time so I can get the factory night sights with 3 mags in the LE package. I would be happy to buy local but no one seems to be able to get them.

·
Premium Member
8,625 Posts
Sounds to me like your FFL would rather you buy from them instead of Clyde's. If you're saving that much money, I'd find another FFL. They do all have different requirements. The one I used to use was almost 40 miles away, but would do NFA transfers and only charged $10. I found one only about 8 miles away. He charges $15 and can't do NFA transfers, but it sure saves a lot of time, not to mention gas.

But the first guy didn't ask for anything from the sender besides name and address, and he got that from an email I sent him telling him the gun was on the way. After I'd transferred a few through him, he gave me a copy of his FFL so I can just send it straight to the seller without waiting for him to fax it to the seller. This new guy wants a photocopy of the seller's driver's license, not just the information from it, but a scan or copy. I was concerned he wouldn't want to give me a copy of his FFL, but when I asked, he has it right on his website. Now I just email the link to it to the seller, and call the FFL when the seller lets me know he's shipped the gun. Easy peasy.

But with HK handguns running around $800-$1000, or $1300 or so for P7M8s, it would be really hard for a local shop to come anywhere near what I can get one on line for, simply because of the taxes.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sounds to me like your FFL would rather you buy from them instead of Clyde's. If you're saving that much money, I'd find another FFL. They do all have different requirements. The one I used to use was almost 40 miles away, but would do NFA transfers and only charged $10. I found one only about 8 miles away. He charges $15 and can't do NFA transfers, but it sure saves a lot of time, not to mention gas.

But the first guy didn't ask for anything from the sender besides name and address, and he got that from an email I sent him telling him the gun was on the way. After I'd transferred a few through him, he gave me a copy of his FFL so I can just send it straight to the seller without waiting for him to fax it to the seller. This new guy wants a photocopy of the seller's driver's license, not just the information from it, but a scan or copy. I was concerned he wouldn't want to give me a copy of his FFL, but when I asked, he has it right on his website. Now I just email the link to it to the seller, and call the FFL when the seller lets me know he's shipped the gun. Easy peasy.

But with HK handguns running around $800-$1000, or $1300 or so for P7M8s, it would be really hard for a local shop to come anywhere near what I can get one on line for, simply because of the taxes.
They would definitely rather me buy from them, but they have stated that they couldnt have gotten the gun in stock anyway. They flat out told me that they make most of their money from reloading (that is their main business) and do a lot of NFA sales. They have never pressured me to buy anything from them and they already seem to have about as much business as they can handle. I mean I guess I could continue to use them for other things and doe Clyde's transfers at the store that is 30 minutes away, its just a pain in the ass. I was really surprised they had a problem with it to tell you the truth.

·
2,831 Posts
my FFL feels the same way, no FFL or driver lic(on incoming) no transfer, he knows its NOT required to recieve but thats his policy and the way he wants to run his business(been doing it forever) so I respect his policy right or wrong, he is a HK LE dealer so cant sell new HK's to me(non LE or Mil) anyway, so it has nothing to do with me buying from him. and as he doesnt charge me for transfers.......I have no right to complain ;)

I have bought many parts from Josh at Clyde, always been very happy, I just know if(and I have not) I buy I gun from there, have it sent to a different FFL

·
Registered
25 Posts
I dont know but this FFL is very trusting and family run. They even ship out guns for me and dont charge me shipping until they get the gun back from repair or service. They are just the nicest people and I havent known them to complain about things for the sake of complaining. Maybe they do it because they are small, relatively new, and want to cover their butt's just in case?
Let me get this straight... You want a local FFL to handle an internet sale for you on a gun they stock? If that is the case, Clyde's isn't the problem, you are!

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Let me get this straight... You want a local FFL to handle an internet sale for you on a gun they stock? If that is the case, Clyde's isn't the problem, you are!
Wow....hey here is an idea...why dont you go back and re-read my posts before you make your comments...it will make you look less idiotic in retrospect.

In fact, since you dont like to read, I will make it really easy for you:

Unfortunately, their prices on HK's are quite a bit more than Clyde's (about $800.00 plus taxes and fees for a stock USP with no night sights) and they never get the LE packages in :(
I order HK's online most of the time so I can get the factory night sights with 3 mags in the LE package. I would be happy to buy local but no one seems to be able to get them.
They would definitely rather me buy from them, but they have stated that they couldnt have gotten the gun in stock anyway. They flat out told me that they make most of their money from reloading (that is their main business) and do a lot of NFA sales.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
my FFL feels the same way, no FFL or driver lic(on incoming) no transfer, he knows its NOT required to recieve but thats his policy and the way he wants to run his business(been doing it forever) so I respect his policy right or wrong, he is a HK LE dealer so cant sell new HK's to me(non LE or Mil) anyway, so it has nothing to do with me buying from him. and as he doesnt charge me for transfers.......I have no right to complain ;)

I have bought many parts from Josh at Clyde, always been very happy, I just know if(and I have not) I buy I gun from there, have it sent to a different FFL
Yes, Josh was excellent, always knew exactly what has happening with the order, the check, the FFL, etc. They are the only dealer I have found that consistently has the LE packages, and they were also the only dealer that had the factory LEM with an AG date code or later in stock. I tried 4 FFL's in my area and they couldnt even order just a LEM uspc 45 with NS in a standard mag configuration from their distributors. Im hoping that if I have to do this again I can convince Clyde's to fax a copy, but its not looking good. Thankfully (I think) after the money this one will cost me with the the custom work Im having done at fords I wont buy any HK's for a while...at least thats my plan for the moment lol.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts