HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well all the parts arrived today (other than the stock block) and it's time to get this show on the road!

If you havent guessed by scrolling to the picture already my new project is an SL8 to G36E conversion. I have a brand new SL8-6 I just picked up and a brand new never fired (other than test firing) G36E parts kit.

Now I do have a few questions I hope you guys can help me answer because I've searched quite a bit and I cant find any definitive answers :)

1. What EXACTLY needs to be trimmed on the G36 lower to make it fit the SL8 properly? Mine doesnt fit quite as tight as the SL8 did and I did notice some slight differences.

2. Does anyone make a G36 magwell yet that covers the hole from milling? If not does someone offer the service to plastic-weld a piece of matching material onto the G36 Magwell to cover it? I know HDPS does but I'm not sure how Ed will feel about just doing my machining and not full reassembly so I'm exploring my options.

Thanks for your help guys!

Attachments

·
Merchant of Death (Admin)
11,809 Posts
I'm not sure...

But I wonder. Methylene chloride is a wonderful solvent that does a pretty good job of welding acrylic. I used it to make acrylic aquariums of pretty ginormous size. The two pieces were clamped/taped in place, the MC put into the joint using a syringe (capillary action), and the whole thing allowed to sit for a day. I used a helium torch to quickly smooth/polish everything up. Perhaps this is a workable approach? Of course, I don't know exactly what the stock is made of so it could be really stupid.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds doable to me, I could bastardize a few Mag wells trying to get it right too.. Maybe I'll have to come up with something :D

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
Just curious, how are you planning to do the 922r compliance? If you plan on using the 19" E barrel, you can't use the SBR way around the parts count issue.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I found mag followers/floor plates and I believe the HDPS trigger will work. Worst case I'll fab up a trigger, no biggie.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Filling the gap

Here are 2 links from this site that helped me with mine:

http://hkpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46487&highlight=filling+gap

http://hkpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50345&highlight=filling+gap

on another note your US Parts count with mag base plate/follower/trigger = 3, but you need 5. A KAC forend, TN bolt, or TN gas piston would do the trick. I bought the TN kit, pilfered the bolt and piston, sold the mag well and folder for darn near the total cost of kit.

If you were contemplating sending off to HDPS I would highly reccomend Ed. In your case he has the parts you need ie trigger/fplate/follower/stock block and since your gun is already black your cost would be relatively reasonable:

This is from the HDPS website:
Services
-Mill upper receiver to accept G-36 mag well - $85
-Close opening between G-36 Mag Well and ejection port - $150 (not just a plastic cover, injection mold and mill.. extensive labor)
-Convert Real G-36 Pistol Grip to work with SL8 1/6 upper - $35
-Exchange parts from SL8-1/6 lower to G-36 Pistol Grip (or clone lower)- $20
- Drill and mill G36 lower for SL8-1/6 lower for SL8 safety (in some lowers) - $35
-Exchange extractor and ejector to new bolt- $25
-Mill G36 Bolt to work with SL8 receiver - $125 (done right without heat transfer)
-Test fire weapon- $45

You still have to get stock block and US parts, but the big expenses like cutting down SL8 barrel, refinish barrel and such are not on your list. I pictured myself with two popsicle sticks and a pile of epoxy resin sitting over my NIB SL8 and thought I would feel better just having someone more qualified than me complete the project. At the time Ed did not do the gap fill service, so mine at this point is not filled. I have learned to live with it and it is actually pretty neat to see the last round indicated through the gap, but I want to send my gun back to Ed to finish the project right.

You also will need a barrel wrench to swap out barrels, which was 90 bucks when I was contemplating the home conversion.

My point I guess is that I don't think you have to be a gunsmith or anything to do the conversion, but why tinker with 3 grand in parts when you can be assured of a quality conversion for so cheap from HDPS? I also think that if you were to market the gun for sale later, the gun would sell for more and faster with HDPS as the builder rather than "homebuilt" requardless of your qualifications and experience. Just my 2 cents. Good luck!

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The popsicle stick reference is exactly how I feel :) That was a GREAT post thanks for the insight, if Ed will take on all my machining / filling ect I'm going to ship it to him. I'd like him to cut the vents in my UMP conversion anyhow so I'd probably just ship both.

I already ordered the barrel wrench since i'll likely need one in the future anyhow so I was just thinking of sending the reciever/parts to ed and have him machine them and ship them back.

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
I found mag followers/floor plates and I believe the HDPS trigger will work. Worst case I'll fab up a trigger, no biggie.
You'll need at least 3 more parts, I think. Common thinking is that 6 parts need to be replaced to "domesticate" a SL8.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I'll make some more parts then no biggie :) The big thing I'm worried about right now is covering up that hole since its not something I think I'm really capable of, metal is one thing plastic is a whoooole other story :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts