HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The stock that Mr. Bostic built for me is the stock that H&K should have fitted to the SL8 as standard equipment, IMHO. Really improves the looks and ergonimics of the SL8, I think. I look forward to taking her out to the range for the 1st time RSN.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Very nice. A lot better than the crap they stick on the end of the SL8 from the factory. I've always liked that stock on HK weapons.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Man, I like that better than the G36 conversion I was thinking about. Give me some details. Have to use compliance parts?

·
Registered
448 Posts
That is a beauty! And you do need to post the details of the build.
RayG
NOLA

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Love the look of that PSG8, very inspiring. So I'm gonna build me one along with the G36k I have in mind. The SL8 is a very versatile platform to build from and if this variant catches on, then don't be surprised if there's a run on this discontinued HK model......just awesome!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
PSG-8 Details

Hi All,

Thanks for your replies. I'm a big fan of the G36 family, and wish we civilians could have The Real Thing here, but the SL8 works well at least. Even if the standard thumb-hole stock isn't very ergonomic, or nice to look at (to me, anyway).

There's not much to relate as far as the details of my "build". The rifle is a standard SL8-6, as sent out from H&K. The only changes are:

1) Stock: Replace factory stock/lower with tbostic-built PSG-style stock. Internals are from a standard SL8-6 lower I bought off of GB. tbostic installed those parts in the new stock/lower as well. The stock fits the same as the factory stock, using the same fastenings.
2) Top Rail: Low Profile non-HK unit from HKparts.net (item HKAG36UTGRAIL)
3) Bipod: Standard H&K G36 type (fits the SL8-6 just fine)
4) Piston: US-made substitute
5) Op-Rod: US-made substitute
6) Magazine: US-made substitute
7) Scope/mount: Nightforce 2.5-10x32

I also installed the stock and cheek piece extensions from the spare SL8-6 lower on the new PSG8 one, in order to provide a better length of pull and line of sight (for me). The new stock is SO much better a fit than the old. A major improvement. tbostic is a real artist.

Ubetit has raised the ugly topic of "compliance parts" (as in USC 18 922R). I'm not a lawyer. Laws are written for everyone to follow, but may only be interpreted properly (it seems), by a lawyer. Now, I don't know how this absurdity came to be, but there it is. So. When entering into such a project, the question each of us must answer for his or her own self becomes, "Will adding an EVIL pistol-grip stock to an otherwise BLESSED (by BATFE), SL8 cause the curse of 922R to come crashing down upon my head?" Any lawyers out there care to answer that one? For my money, to be safe, I'd err on the side of caution and say, "Yes". So, in order to put the thing together it would be best to have the proper count of compliance parts installed in the rifle. I have a U.S. made piston, op-rod, mag body, follower, and floor plate. It might be argued that the stock built by tbostic is "U.S. made", but I wouldn't bet the outcome of a criminal trial on it. YMMV. [soapbox]Let's remember all this in the next election, shall we?[/soapbox]

Be Safe,

rnprice

·
Registered
383 Posts
That's a beauty
That would look good next to my SR-9tc

I love my SL-8, but that would be a nice update.
How much did the stock, US piston & op rod set you back?

·
Registered
527 Posts
the stock that H&K should have fitted to the SL8 as standard equipment, IMHO.
Against import regs. No vertical descending grips were allowed, a thumbhole style stock was neccesary to get import approval.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Hi guys, new to this forum and HKs in general.

That psg8 rifle is awesome looking. I must have one. So I have my stock ’99 sl8-1, nearly brand new, and I am ready. I have been reading this forum non-stop for weeks. Huge amounts of info, thanks for everyone’s great posts. Can you imagine I did not even know what an SL8 was before I bought it at a show??? I saw it and I just knew. Then I did lots of reading. Sometimes my instincts are very helpful. This rifle is what I have been looking for.
I have some questions (keep in mind I live in NY and must comply with post ban rules as well):
My thing is, I get this German made “Mercedes” of semi-auto rifles, and I must replace perfectly good OEM parts with 3rd party parts for compliance. Does this bother anyone?? Performance issues? Durability issues? I guess if you mic the parts and they fall within spec they should be fine, but I read about visible rust and other issues with aftermarket parts.
I ask because I am taking the route of ProMag 10 round clips (ordered) and I hope they work well. Next I would add a US trigger, maybe a forearm, for 5 parts, and the PG/stock will be a cut but 1 piece still, so I should be covered. I figure what can go wrong with a US trigger? Feedback appreciated on this. I have not found a nice, light, composite US made forearm though. Any suggestions?
Also, if I get a black stock (worked spare) and a black forearm, will the rifle look just stupid if I get lazy and keep the rest grey? You know what, don’t bother answering that dumb question… it is just that if I do, I have all the parts to return to stock config anytime. Some value in that to me.
I have a few toddlers and no time. When I do get out hunting or to the range, I want flawless performance, high accuracy, and low maintenance effort. Seems I have the correct rifle based on all the info in this forum, I just need to be capable of using a PG for easy use, and that is my only reason for parts compliance, while still keeping out of trouble in NY.
One more thing: any issue with cycling those AL snap caps so I can get a feel for the trigger? I guess the bolt ejects it, so the contact might be rough on the rifle parts… is AL much harder than brass? Then again, Wolf is steel. Thoughts?
Thanks guys.
JP

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Hey, HKBullseye. Welcome! I don't know anything about New York regulations, so I can't help you there. However, I can speak to the after market internal parts (piston, op rod). I bought mine from HK Parts Net and from HDPS. Everything has worked well for me, and I've had no issues with any of the parts. 350 rounds so far. Runs like a fine watch. I got a couple of new 10 round ProMags off GB, and they work fine. No problems with feeding, though sometimes they won't activate the bolt hold open mechanism. Not sure why. The stock H&K SL8 mags always do. I use A-Zoom snap caps for testing and practice, and while they get kinda beat up after a while I've not noticed that they affect the rifle or its magazines in any way. The aluminum is softer than any metal parts associated with the rifle.

I've not tried to track down any U.S. made composite forearms for the SL8. I've gotten a couple of H&K ones from the usual sources. They're good enough for me. Knight's Armament used to make a couple of aluminum ones for the platform. I've seen them around for sale on some of the forums and on GB, but not at a price I'm willing to pay.

Good luck! You've got a fine platform there; one capable of accepting a lot of interesting mods. Have fun with it. Be safe.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Hey RNPRICE,

Great info, thanks. I guess I won’t be so concerned with HDPS piston, op rod then. That way I can use those 2 and the 10 round promag and be done (your route right?) My understanding is if we keep the stock/grip as one piece, then we only require 5 compliance parts. It is funny, you mention the issue with the promag, and I realize now that the mag is just as important for proper rifle function as the other internal parts are, so you cant escape potential ops probs whenever you do mods. Oh well, I will get over it. Then I can get the nice forearm you have from HK, what part number or other identifier is that one you have? Where did you order all your US and HK parts from?

To all users:
I was also thinking I would order another set of trigger function parts for the lower and have them installed in the PG shaped HK stock, keeping the original stock intact so a quick switch will make it back to OEM “stock” status. Which PG from HK has all the parts required for the stock SL8 setup? Or, if none, which parts do I need to order independently with which PG to have all the parts required?

What do you guys think of the Burris 2x – 7x Mini scope for the sl8? Came mounted on a different rail when I bought the rifle, and the OEM rail loose as well. I searched for “mini” but can’t seem to find that Burris anywhere, but that is all that is stamped on the scope as far as I can tell. Anyone familiar with pricing?

Tbostic, if you read this, I would like to send you parts to make me this rifle, can you email me when time permits? I send a PM, but just in case you didn’t get it (my send messages folder is empty) then shoot me a message to [email protected] anytime. REALLY looking fwd to it. Thanks.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Hello HKBullseye,

Actually, ah... no. You need another bit to comply with 922R. Depending upon who is counting, you need 6 (or maybe 5), U.S. parts. We have accounted for the U.S. piston, and an op rod. We also have a mag body, a mag follower, and floor plate (the ProMag). That's 5. You'll also have to add something else: a U.S. made trigger, hammer, or bolt (for instance), to bring the total to 6 (just to be sure). A Knight's forestock will also do the trick, but as I've said before they're a little pricey. They are also easy to swap out, which makes it quicker to revert your rifle to factory condition. Your call.

That parts list will complete your package, assuming you don't have the barrel cut for a flash hider. I you do, you'd better use a U.S. part for that as well, since a flash hider is another "evil" bit, and will raise your total by one. I don't intend on having that mod done to my "PSG-8". I like it just the way it is.

I've purchased an H&K G36 forestock with mounting holes for rails from H&K Parts Net. It was SKU: HKN19025N on their site. I see they are currently out of stock (Nov. 30, 2011). I installed that part on my G36 clone (built by tbostic), which I use as my avatar, though when I took that photo it still had the G36K forestock fitted. I prefer the looks of the longer forestock, plus I use the bottom rail (also purchased from HK Net), to attach a grip-pod. My PSG-8 has the OEM SL8 forestock. My rifle was/is an SL8-6, which come from the factory in black rather than in grey. As you can see, the H&K G36 bipod fits it fine. I bought the bipod off of GunBroker.

The problem I have with ProMags failing to lock the bolt open is intermittent. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't. It doesn't really bother me. I can count to 10... most of the time ;-)

Be Safe,

rnprice

·
Registered
904 Posts
Very nice looking with the new grip.... I'm considering a build like this....

Can anyone point out any if there were any differences from earlier models SL8-1 through SL8-6 that I can get new....?

Did you make the changes or send it out to Mr. Bostic for this work....?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi Warpdrv,

Mr. Bostic did all the heavy lifting. I still have the original stock with all the original parts in it, that I can swap in for the tbostic PSG8 stock if the fit should come over me.

Good luck!

rnprice

1 - 20 of 29 Posts