HKPRO Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yeah, title is bold, but it's the truth. My very first handgun was a HK USP 9. Loved that gun. But sold it several years later just due to it's size.

Welp, I was in the market for a new full size 9, and the VP9T fit the bill. Bought it without touching one before, bc HK, what could go wrong.

Cleaned and lubed it up before taking it out for it's first outing, which was a couple of weeks ago. I also greased the rails with WeaponShield grease. Also use WS CLP on the other parts.

100 rounds of WWB and 50 rounds of Blazer Brass.

2nd round, I have a failure to load. Click and the chamber was empty.... Rack the slide and visually saw the next round chamber.

I know about the issue people have with rest their thumb on the slide lock/release, so I was being mindful of where my thumbs were to hopefully, not have any issues. Well hell, after shooting 1 way for so long, hard to change. Clicked on an empty chamber and magazine. FFFUUU.

First 15 rounds and 2 "malfunctions" already.

So I tried to change my grip up. This made my grip on the pistol awkward and I couldn't get a strong grip on it. I was experiencing a lot of muzzle flip. So I do the normal 2 thumbs forward, but this time, I have my thumb underneath the bar. PS, I'm shooting left handed. After the 2nd or 3rd shot, the slide locks back. Make sense, since I probably applied upwards pressure on the bar. Bah! So now I have my left thumb pinned underneath my right thumb. I'm hitting about 1" right at 10 yards. I'm thinking it's most likely me, since I would think HK would zero their sights first?

I still got a couple failures to lock back on last round. I had my partner shoot and she experienced a failure to load on the last round of the magazine. Not sure wtf that's all about. Had to drop the mag and rack it. Also, while she was shooting, I noticed how poor the extraction power is, compared to the Glock 19 and my M&P 9c. The casings were barely flying to the rightt. I noticed a couple practically plopped right next to the shooter.

I'm told, try a hotter 9MM round. So I brought 100rds of Aguila 124gr and another box of 50 of Blazer Brass 115gr with me today. I also adjusted the rear sight so it looks like it was perfectly center.

Started with the Aguila since it's suppose to run hotter.

I place my left thumb on top of the right thumb's knuckle area.

Bang, and failure to feed. SOB. 2nd round in and malfunction already.

Drop mag and rack slide. Nothing fell out. Looks like it just didn't strip off the top round completely.

Finished mag without issue. And I have to say, a solid ragged hole with only 1 non-touching @ 15'. I know that's not elite, but that's pretty decent in my books.

2nd mag.

Bang, and same ****ing problem. FTL. UGH. Finished mag with no issue.

3rd magazine. Bang Bang Bang, and maybe 1 more, then failure to eject! Stovepiped an empty casing. Failed to lock back on last round too. But this must have been caused by my thumb. It just naturally wants to see up there on the bar instead of my knuckle. :(

4th, 5th, and 6th magazine all had some sort of failure. Mixture of failure to load and eject and failed to lock back on last round.

7th magazine. I topped off with 5 Blazer Brass for a full magazine.

Bang, jammed FTL. Bang. Click. Empty chamber. Bang, another empty chamber. FFFFUUU. It's not longer a semi auto, but a single shot handgun.

Cleared out all the BB from that magazine and fired the rest of the 10 Aguila without issue.

Now I load up 3 15 round magazines with just the BB.

Suprisingly, the 1st magazine went through fine, but did fail to lock back on last round. I felt my thumb slipping. Old habits.

2nd magazine, issue started popping up again. Bang, jammed and FTF. Cleared and BANG, failed to feed again.

**** this. I'm frustrated and tired of this POS. Packed up and left.

This has been the WORST handgun I've owned by far. I wonder if it has anything to do with my right thumb. The bending knuckle, will lay almost on or just below the pivot point of the slide lock.

So I've put about 271 rounds through this gun and well. I'm hoping this isn't the "norm". I've contacted H&K today to see what they say.

Am I the only one having issues so far with the VP9T?

·
Banned
84 Posts
You posted this today at 1:00 in the morning, but over on ARFCOM you posted the same exact thing on 9/29. And you received a lot of good advice and input there.

Contact HK. Nobody is going to be able to "fix" your problem, whatever it is, via responding to your posts here and over there.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
You posted this today at 1:00 in the morning, but over on ARFCOM you posted the same exact thing on 9/29. And you received a lot of good advice and input there.

Contact HK. Nobody is going to be able to "fix" your problem, whatever it is, via responding to your posts here and over there.
I forgot this place existed. I figure I would get a lot more feedback from HK users, so I figure this would be a bigger base of owners? If I could, I'll delete the thread at the other place.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
+P ammo, post back in a month

Post script: I'll be happy to buy it and check it out for you, is 250$ a good deal? :))

Try a box (20) of some +P ammo, I've used exclusively +P in my hk's, they are NATO spec pistols. The weak arse u.s. Range ammo is worthless.

Take mags apart, wipe and apply a super thin film of synthetic oil, or equilavent.
I would start with the +P ammo, I have never had any issue with any pistol using +P ammo for break in. 400-600 rounds. My own personal test. Of those 600 rounds, about 250-300 are +P, the rest either 147 gr for a 9mm or 185 +p and 230 +P for my 45's.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Well the first problem I see is that you're a lefty. Second problem, I know that the tactical model comes with a stiffer recoil spring then the standard VP. Since the spring isn't broken in yet, the slide might not be traveling all the way back. This will explain all the problems, failure to lock back, failure to eject, short ejections, etc etc. Lock the slide back when it's sitting in the safe and run hotter loads. Maybe fixes it, but let's see what H&K tells you.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I forgot this place existed. I figure I would get a lot more feedback from HK users, so I figure this would be a bigger base of owners? If I could, I'll delete the thread at the other place.
As the above said though, send it to HK. Their customer service is absolutely amazing... Regardless of what you've heard or experienced before, they are on the ball now and when I sent my HK45CT back for the trigger issue, it was back in my hands in 3 business days including shipping both ways. I wanted to try and fix it myself as well for fear of it sitting on a bench for weeks with no concern for my newly spent money, but I was wrong and have great respect for them now!

Honestly though, most on here likely had phenomenal luck with their VP9 (ive owned at least 12 myself, currently have two, none of which have ever failed in the slightest other than the FDE one not having the trigger pin fully installed, which I just pushed into place). Ive run hand loads, hot ammo, crap ammo, and anything else under the moon through mine with ridiculous accuracy, but these do have a lot more muzzle flip than comparable handguns, especially the much heavier USP. Either send it back to HK and let them go through it, or just keep shooting it until it either fixes itself, or blows up.

Edit - my suppressed VP9 was a factory VP9 with a RCM barrel, after seeing the above post about different recoil springs, I can't comment on the light loaded ammo issue.

·
Premium Member
1,807 Posts
WWB is your biggest problem. Never ever buy that POS ammo. Blazer Brass runs well for me after break in. I usually shoot only Federal 115 FMJ for range ammo and never have any problems. I recently broke in two VP9's and two P30's with no problems using Federal 115 AE. If I were you breaking in any tactical buy Winchester 124 NATO and I promise it will run.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I'm a lefty. 1,900+ rounds through mine, 0 issues.

Suggestions?

1) Clean and lubricate the pistol according to the manual. HK does not specify 'grease'.
2) Try some ammo with more oomph. I used Speer GD 124+p, as well as Speer Lawman 124 FMJ early on in mine.
3) Shoot strong hand only to eliminate your support hand FTLB.
3a) Move your support hand higher and farther up the frame.
4) Have someone else shoot it.
5) Shoot it off a rest.
6) Dissassemble AND CLEAN your magazines. Wierd stuff happens with mags, they are often the source of cycling issues, and you want to eliminate that possibility.

To me, it sounds like a combination of too much lubricant (the grease) in a stiff gun (new recoil spring), shooting anemic ammo (WWB) by a shooter with an incorrect grip (FTLB). No offense.

If the above does not work out, by all means, call HK CS.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
WWB is your biggest problem. Never ever buy that POS ammo. Blazer Brass runs well for me after break in. I usually shoot only Federal 115 FMJ for range ammo and never have any problems. I recently broke in two VP9's and two P30's with no problems using Federal 115 AE. If I were you breaking in any tactical buy Winchester 124 NATO and I promise it will run.

NATO!
L

·
Registered
422 Posts
Well the first problem I see is that you're a lefty. Second problem, I know that the tactical model comes with a stiffer recoil spring then the standard VP. Since the spring isn't broken in yet, the slide might not be traveling all the way back. This will explain all the problems, failure to lock back, failure to eject, short ejections, etc etc. Maybe but let's see what H&K tells you.
Did not know that. Seems like that would add to the problems.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I've fired quite a bit of WWB in my years, never a problem. Not to mention, these are a few years old. I did read about a lot of quality control issues from the past couple of years. These are older than that. This same ammo works great in the other firearms. Then again, those are well used...

I'll burn some of my Gold Dot 124gr +P. I bought a few boxes of the rejects from years ago. Yet to find an issue with them though. I'll sacrifice a couple hundred rounds to the HK Gods and repent.

I should know right away though. :370:

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Now, take her out, shoot the hell out of it!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm a lefty. 1,900+ rounds through mine, 0 issues.

Suggestions?

1) Clean and lubricate the pistol according to the manual. HK does not specify 'grease'.
2) Try some ammo with more oomph. I used Speer GD 124+p, as well as Speer Lawman 124 FMJ early on in mine.
3) Shoot strong hand only to eliminate your support hand FTLB.
3a) Move your support hand higher and farther up the frame.
4) Have someone else shoot it.
5) Shoot it off a rest.
6) Dissassemble AND CLEAN your magazines. Wierd stuff happens with mags, they are often the source of cycling issues, and you want to eliminate that possibility.

To me, it sounds like a combination of too much lubricant (the grease) in a stiff gun (new recoil spring), shooting anemic ammo (WWB) by a shooter with an incorrect grip (FTLB). No offense.

If the above does not work out, by all means, call HK CS.
No offense taken. I'm here to learn. There doesn't appear to be a lot of grease to me. Just a light film.

I don't know what FTLB is. I feel my support hand is up high. My hands are relatively small though. Do you have a picture of what form of grip?

·
Registered
312 Posts
I had my VP9T out yesterday for the first time and shot a combination of 124gr Gold Dots, two boxes of Perfecta and a box of Federal Champion without any issues. All I did before I shot it was field strip and add few drops of oil on the barrel and slide.

It was freakishly accurate and I actually shot it better the first time out than my G19's. The issues you're having could be a combination of things either grip related, recoil spring.

·
Registered
422 Posts
No offense taken. I'm here to learn. There doesn't appear to be a lot of grease to me. Just a light film.

I don't know what FTLB is. I feel my support hand is up high. My hands are relatively small though. Do you have a picture of what form of grip?
I'm sorry: Failure to Lock Back. I had it several times starting out also. I don't have a convenient picture, but this is a fairly decent video of Kyle DeFoor discussing support hand grip:

·
Registered
422 Posts
Oh, sorry, thought of one more: leave the slide locked back overnight or several days. Might help take some of the starch out of the spring.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Sorry to hear that OP. I also recommend not using any grease and follow instructions in the manual on where to lube including the barrel exterior and entire length of each slide rail where it rides on the frame steel tabs. Slide not locking back on last round fired typically is caused by shooter's grip causing a thumb to touch the slide release lever when firing. Happens to me with my VP9 sometimes. Videos below by Travis Haley on grip may help.

Good luck!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMzQIHN-LiI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MY6gwhj5qpY

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm curious about something. What I believe is called the locking block. Is the top of the rail area suppose to look like this or should it be smooth? It almost looks like something has been skipping across the top of this area. I cant see anything that's on the slide that could be causing this. So I'm wondering if that was there before or not.

hk1.JPG hk2.JPG

1 - 20 of 105 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.