HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My P30 & HK45 comparison (PICS ADDED!)

My HK45 arrived in the mail today, so I had to take it to the range for a side by side shooting comparison with my P30.

BOTTOM LINE UP FRONT- THE HK45 SHOOTS GREAT!! (for me, better than the P30)

TRIGGER COMPARISON
The trigger on the HK45 is the best I've ever experienced on an H&K handgun. It's much better than the trigger on the P30 and was a very, VERY pleasant surprise.

In single action the HK45's V1 trigger has short take-up and a smooth, "light" feel to it. It's pretty easy to make very accurate shots with this trigger. In comparison, the P30's V3 trigger has much more travel (or "take-up") and is much "heavier" to trip the hammer.

The trigger reset is also much better on HK45. The trigger resets exaclty when the trailing edge of the trigger passes the leading edge on the magazine release.

If you shoot the two back to back, the HK45 feels like a custom tuned trigger job, while the P30 feels like a stock factory gun.

The first set of pics shows the trigger of each gun with the hammer cocked in Single Action

The next set of pics shows each trigger with the slack taken out.

The final set shows each trigger at the exact position that it resets after firing.

ERGONOMICS
The HK45 is a much more substantial gun. Words like "hand cannon" and "hog leg" come to mind. It has the same excellent ergonomics of the spidey grips, but it is bigger and you can feel the difference between it and the P30. For me, the P30 fits PERFECTLY in my hands. The HK45 still feels great and is a pleasure to hold and fire but I think the P30 is a slightly better fit (for me).

OTHER STUFF
Although both guns come in identical cases, the P30 has fitted, cut out inserts, while the HK45 just has foam padding on both sides of the case. Not sure why HK went the cheap route on the more expensive gun. The P30's case is very nice. The HK45's looks generic.

Fit and finish on both guns is pretty much the same.

SUMMARY
Right out of the box, the HK45 is a great shooting gun. Very accurate. I was able to drop 6"metal plates at 20+ yards easily. It handled both CCI Blaser Brass and Aguila 230grain FMJ ammo without any problems.

It's a great gun. I'm very satified with my initial impression!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Thanks for the comparison! I can't wait to check either of these out in person but I am very intrigued by the HK45 and HK45c. :D

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
yep, I need a P30 now....

·
Registered
138 Posts
Great report. Thanks for taking the time. I want the P30 but I'm waiting for a V1 version. Do you guys think my waiting will be in vain?

·
Registered
269 Posts
My HK45 should be here in a couple of days, shipped from CDNN yesterday! I have not shot the P30 but I have handled it. I have not bought a P2000 for the same reason I may not buy a P30 and thats I do not like a long double action pull. I have heard mixed results from the LEM triggers, some love them some don't. I guess I will have to find someone who has one or just buy a used one and try it for myself. I like the USP V1 and the new HK45 for the fact I can use it cocked and locked, I prefer not to have to transition from a double action pull to a single action pull. Main reason I have only owned one Sig and sold it weeks later, plus who needs anything other then an HK lol.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Those pictures rule. Thanks!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Have you guys seen pics of the P30 longslide? I believe it was made for Norway. Another 50mm overall length in the slide. That baby has got to shoot flat. Schweet!

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Have you guys seen pics of the P30 longslide? I believe it was made for Norway. Another 50mm overall length in the slide. That baby has got to shoot flat. Schweet!
I am hoping that we will see it here sometime in 2008.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It appears the HK 45 reset is quite a bit shorter than the P30, is this true? Looks like a good 0.05" or so.
The reset on the HK45 is quite a bit shorter. The pitures really don't do justice to how dramatic the difference is. You can really tell the difference when you shoot the two back to back.

·
Registered
402 Posts
This isn't meant to be a 9 vs 45 response, but it is kind of disappointing that these 2 guns are not equal in trigger "response." That's one great thing about the USP series; they're pretty much the same across the board.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Keep in mind, in spite of many visual similarities, these are two completely separate platforms. The P30 was designed exclusively for the European market. If the internal lock wasn't counted by ATF imports as a PMOS it wouldn't have even been importable into the US. Thus, the European inspired P2000 style DA/SA trigger system on the P30 .v the American 1911 inspired fire controls of the USP as seen on the new HK45, which was designed exclusively for the American market. Sooner or later, HK will pick a platform for their new flagship gun. If I were a betting man, I'd bet on the "HK" platform for the US market if they really start making these stateside. Then we will see and HK40 and HK9, with compacts and subcompact in all 3 calibers. With the modularity of the fire controls having been so well received by US buyers, that is what I would do. Just my thoughts, for what they are worth.

·
Registered
402 Posts
You are correct Moonshiner. How often we forget that HK generally builds to a contract, not for pure marketing purposes.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts