HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a PTR91 102 (18" heavy barrel, aluminum handguard), a few accessories, and have made a few small modifications.

Air gun Trigger Machine gun Gun barrel Shotgun

I set it up like a DMR, with a medium power scope on medium rings after removing the rear sight. I was looking for a Cherokee cheek riser - but it looks like they are no longer producing them. I am using a Victor cheek riser with 2 shim plates, which works well if the scope is mounted low.

Also added a Hogue HandAll universal small grip cover. I refinished the mismatched anodized handguard to more closely match the receiver, and also refinished a couple surplus steel mags that were slightly rusted. Purchased a HK charging handle and larger buttstock pad also.

Thanks to everyone here for all the information about the roller-delayed blowback design. I have disassembled, checked, and lubed the bolt assembly and confirmed the bolt gap is in-spec.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Since no one else has complimented that fine-looking gun, allow me . . also the owner of a 102. I bought the model as it was the only one available at that moment, but glad it turned out that way as I’ve come to appreciate working with what I hope it’s best suited to be (DMR).

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys!

I had a chance to take it out for the first time this weekend, and I wasn't disappointed.

I'll post my results of some ammo testing in another thread I started about ammo/accuracy -

Please join in with any results and targets if you have them.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice rifle! Great job!
Thanks!

Really enjoyable to shoot with the DMR-style set-up.

I guess I became a fan of the design.

Recently picked up a Cetme C project rifle that I'm working on. Former "truck gun" that developed some functioning issues, which I have resolved. Also nice shooter. No idea why people think they are rough to shoot.

Working on finding some replacement parts to get it back to its original "battle rifle" configuration.

If anyone has any Cetme C parts for sale, mainly wood furniture, please PM me.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Decided to make a few changes to my PTR91. I had a metal trigger housing from another project, and decided to use it in place of the stock polymer housing. That allowed me to use a PSG-1-style grip.

I refinished the housing, filled the letters, and installed the new grip. The grip is much fuller in your hand, and feels very close to a competition pistol grip - which is a big improvement.

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Metal

·
Registered
215 Posts
How is the weight of this compared to the standard plastic stock? I have been thinking about getting one but somewhat concerned about that aspect.

It definitely adds weight, approx two pounds. (Mod it for a heavier buffer, then that much again).

A customized Length of Pull plus customized Cheek Weld is worthwhile to one or it isn’t.

Balance is bettered. Complaints about handling can come to this aspect. Better balance means it comes to firing position more handily (given that it’s a big rifle).

I swapped to the earlier metal trigger housing for the detachable grip on my #102. Have both wood and plastic: IMO, the palm-swell filling rounded grips make for better handling. The palm — not the fingers — does much of the work.

I didn’t have a choice versus the PRS2 as I needed a significant length increase. (Buttstock pad change not near enough). Scope height was the other (mines on QD mount). That this can be changed for other shooters is a bonus (family).

Bicep-style “tactical sling” is my choice to avoid bipod. (Compensator added length & weight to barrel after flash hider removed).

Use of sling eases rotation into firing position (better balance, leveraged).

Take a Garand, add 20-round mag, scope. But give it an adjustable stock. That’s the comparison works for me.

— Estonian schoolgirls are trained on the G3. 5’9” American boys ought to be fine with a semi-auto clone. 7.62x51 is going to be heavy no matter what.

The Spuhr buttstock and Swedish Home Guard AK4 is probably the best model to follow in an overall sense. All-around capable. But it’s not set to 400-yard plus performance. (7.62 hits harder at 400-yards than 5.56 does at the muzzle).

— Was watching one of McCollums vids re a shooting competition: 5.56 had to score three hits for every one of 7.62. (#102 bull barrel resists warp).

Where am I? 14-lbs? Probably.

Finally, “weight” is relative: What’s the job?

There’s a Vietnam-era M14 rifle carrier (Buttstock & Rifle Strap Assembly) attached to rucksack frame to free hands for ski troops.

Or this hunters item from today: spread load to hips.

Joint Outerwear Ballistic vest Shoulder Military uniform

However you conceive the job, use your own good senses to fit the tool to the use.

Or spend your days arguing exact ammo to scare yourself silly re the 5.56 crowd.

“Weight” is a mirage not a barrier.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Henry Chan, lead host at 9-Holes Reviews, has a second video up on G3 modernization following the Swedish model, and an interview with a Swedish military firearms instructor. Well worth your time if a DMR is the thing.

1). First in the series was from 2021,
PTR-91 to 500-yards.

2). Second from a dozen days ago,
AK4D Modernized; 650-yards.

SPUHR stock + Hensoldt optic on STANAG claw mount

— Next installment will be of same with modern variable optic as preferred for DMR work (which is not Sniper). Instructor also returns.

Air gun Machine gun Trigger Shotgun Biome

A #102 with Magpul PRS2 is heavier, obviously, but the rest is applicable (bipod or no bipod).

·
Banned
20 Posts
I recently purchased a PTR91 102 (18" heavy barrel, aluminum handguard), a few accessories, and have made a few small modifications.

View attachment 296723

I set it up like a DMR, with a medium power scope on medium rings after removing the rear sight. I was looking for a Cherokee cheek riser - but it looks like they are no longer producing them. I am using a Victor cheek riser with 2 shim plates, which works well if the scope is mounted low.

Also added a Hogue HandAll universal small grip cover. I refinished the mismatched anodized handguard to more closely match the receiver, and also refinished a couple surplus steel mags that were slightly rusted. Purchased a HK charging handle and larger buttstock pad also.

Thanks to everyone here for all the information about the roller-delayed blowback design. I have disassembled, checked, and lubed the bolt assembly and confirmed the bolt gap is in-spec.
Nice setup, looks awesome!!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
It's heavier.

Magpul mentions it in their advertising, but says it helps offset the original front-heavy bias.
Thanks for the feedback. I was not sure, but it looked heavy.

I like the A2 stock as is except it is about an inch shorter than is I would like, so I would like that adjustment option but I don't want the extra weight. I don't think the balance is bad, a little front heavy maybe but to me that helps keep it steady when lining up. That may be a body type thing. I am 6'1 and the G3 fits me well, it is one of the reasons I like it.

I may get one of the Spuhr stocks too, haven't made up my mind.

·
Registered
52 Posts
It definitely adds weight, approx two pounds. (Mod it for a heavier buffer, then that much again).

A customized Length of Pull plus customized Cheek Weld is worthwhile to one or it isn’t.

“Weight” is a mirage not a barrier.
Thanks for the unsolicited advice, but it involves assumptions that are not applicable to my situation. I have no problem with the balance or weight of my rifle. I would like to increase the length of pull by about an inch (doing it now with a slip on pad, which works fine but is inelegant). So I want to make it better in that respect without other unnecessary trade offs.

My scope is mounted low enough that cheek weld is fine, but adjustability would be nice to future proof it.

As I mentioned in my other post, the Spuhr is on my radar. The rifle has been just a pinker for me for years, I shoot it so well though that I am reconfiguring it a bit with the intention of using it for pigs too. (Not deer, my K98 file that nich)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.