HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, I got my USP9SD after about 2 months of waiting on the paperwork (yeah, MD blows). I took it to the range the day I got it with the factory target sights to see how bad they were. I hated them. Other than that, the gun was great. Like every other H&K I've owned, the first few boxes of weaker 115gr ammo resulted in some brass in the face, which quickly ceased after about 200 rounds. I shot weak 115gr (PMC & American Eagle), hot 115gr (S&B), very hot 115gr +p+ (Federal in the white box with the first generation Hi-Shok bullet), standard 124gr (Gold Dot), hot 124gr +p (Federal Tactical HST), standard 147gr (American Eagle Flat Nose), and hot 147gr +p (Federal Tactical HST). The gun cycled perfectly without a single issue. I did okay but had a lot of trouble sighting the target and would often lose the sighting before I could complete the shot. Speed of fire was quite consistent when very, very slow, but not very accurate when going any faster. The target was about 20 feet away, and the target size is about 8 inches in diameter. As you can see, the grouping was somewhat consistent, but consistently to the left.

I installed the Heinie raised Straight Eight sights last night (detailed here: http://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-handgun-talk/175618-2-henie-sight-installs-wanted-run-you.html ), and took it to the range today. I was shooting at about 17-20-ish feet via slow and medium rapid fire with Lawman 115gr FMJ, American Eagle 147gr FMJFP, and Tactical HST 147gr+p JHP. I like 147 grain a lot more than 115...to me the 147gr is more of a 'push' closer to .45 230g, where as the 115 is more of a 'snap' more like .40 135-155gr. The target size is about 8 inches in diameter, and was placed on a silhouette to represent center-mass. With each box I seemed to do a little better, but I'm still to the left.

First: 40 rounds of 115gr Lawman

Second: 40 rounds of 115gr Lawman (prior to this point, a few rounds were slightly off the target. After this point, every shot was within the shown target.)

Third: 20 rounds of 115gr Lawman and 20 rounds 147gr American Eagle

Fourth: 80 rounds of 147gr American Eagle and 10 rounds Federal HST 147gr +p (leaning in a little more, slightly more aggressive with trigger).

So I was left with this. I'm feeling it was pretty consistent, but it bothers me that I am to the left, and I do not think it is the sight install, but more my technique and the travel with the trigger given I was shooting to the left before I installed the sights. What is your take? Should I go back to the basics, or should I consider going to the Match Trigger, or both? Where am I going wrong?

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Let somebody experienced shoot your pistol to check the sight install/sight alignment. Double check to make sure your from sight is centered on the slide.

Double check your finger position on the trigger itself. Seems like you may not have enough on it and you are push the gun left as you try to press the trigger straight back. What trigger variant? I am assuming SA/DA, correct? Try some shots in SA to keep things simpler during your troubleshooting phase of narrowing down the issue.

Odds are that the problem is the shooter, as you mentioned. BUT with a fresh sight install, I'd say that complicates the possibilities a wee bit.

Try another 500-1K rounds. If you consistently shoot left after checking your fundamentals, adjust the sights.

After all, it is YOUR pistol!

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
My suggestion would be check how far you are putting your index finger on the trigger. Sounds like you have too much finger on the trigger, in my opinion. I have USP 9 SD and it shoots great.

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
I have the same gun and have the same problem only I'm shooting to the right because I'm lefty. I switched the the Heine sights with the same problem so I'd say it is your trigger finger like other suggested. Which also is my problem as well. In regards to this, I think I shoot the Mark 23 the best because the trigger is wider and flatter which my finger seems to like more. On the other hand, it's a new gun and I'm sure as you get used to it your grouping will improve. You might want to consider the match trigger as well. HKparts has a few left in stock.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies! :) I think it is def me...I am shooting my compact to the left slightly and I was shooting to the left slightly with the factory sights on the SD as well.

I dont shoot it/carry it/store it for a DA pull because I have MS and the physical pull is simply too heavy for me to shoot with any level of accuracy I would be confident with in a SHTF situation. So, if I am reading correctly, since it is to the left and not high or low left, that means I am pushing more on an angle than I am pulling straight back, correct? If so, should I go for using more tip of the finger or pad of the finger? I know I am supposed to move only the trigger finger and nothing else...I try my best with that. Would this also be related to the travel and my finger positioning not being proper for the break?

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I think it is being pushed to the left because you don't have enough finger on the trigger. With just the tip on the trigger, you are pushing instead of pulling/squeezing. The trigger should be centered on the first pad of your finger, opposite where your fingernail ends and the cuticle begins.

Try some snap caps for practice. Just make sure that you are not enforcing bad behavior through faulty practice.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
246 Posts
When I first started shooting, I had the same issue. An old timer I knew, recommended getting a raquetball and squeezing it with my hand while watching the evening news. I thought it was kind of silly, but damn it worked. It built up my grip strength with both of my hands and actually helped my shooting. Cheap solution for me.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Its you. You are definitely either putting too much finger on the trigger or you are slapping the trigger. I know because I used to have the same problem. Use only thepad of your finger and squeeze to the rear. Take the slack out of the trigger till you hit the breaking point and fire. When the gun cycles ease off the trigger until it resets and squeeze again. Don't let the trigger go all the way, just until you feel the reset. Do a lot of dry firing. Also get some dummy rounds and have a buddy load your mag so you dont know where they are. Fire as you usually would and if you flinch when you get to the dummy round, then you know its you, because if you do that with the dummy, then you are doing it with every shot. You will see it and have your buddy watch too. Dry fire, dry fire, dry fire.. You will work it out

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I did the dummy/live drill...it took a little nervousness as a few years ago I had a hangfire that while I was prepared for and the gun was downrange, having a gun fire when you DON'T pull the trigger is still terrifying! With that said, it's not a flinch as when I fire the Snap Caps, the gun moves very little at all. A shooting partner did not though that the gun pushes to the left a bit.

So I stated working on using the pad of my finger in more of a pulling action that comes straight back...I didn't have a raquetball but I did have one of those grip strength things that's pretty similar which I've used on and off and I think that has helped some already.

I've been dryfiring a good bit working on pulling backwards. I shot a few rounds the other day but didn't have my cell on me. The group is a good bit more centered. Thanks for all of the advice! I'm hoping to do a class with Massad Ayoob's group, but I want to get the most out of stress shooting exercises which means having the basics down beforehand with slow and medium rate fire on a stationary paper target!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts