HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

I was really, properly surprised at how soft-shooting it is. I mean, it really is lovely. Also, the crap I occasionally hear people spout about how bad HK triggers - particularly their DA triggers - are has always been wrong in my experience (had a HK USP Compact 9 for a short period of time before this and I've dry-fired a DA/SA P30 in a local gun shop before); I have a P228 tuned up by GrayGuns with a near-as-makes-no-difference "perfect" combat trigger on it (smooth as silk 9.5 lbs DA, super crisp 4.5 lbs SA with an unbelievably short reset and a gnat's ass-hair worth of overtravel) and I think the trigger on this pistol is damned good for a factory trigger. DA is very smooth, light enough (I'd guess ~9 lbs), and SA is light and crisp enough with a reasonably long reset for a combat pistol (notice I said "enough" and "combat", not "perfect" or "match grade").

Still don't like the paddle mag release and plan on getting the...what's the larger/extended one you can have fitted to the USP? Is it the one from the HK 45 Compact? I forget.

It'll also probably take a trip to GrayGuns at some point...I've got a P226 that needs to go in there as well so they'll likely just go at the same time when I get the money together for it.

I'll be carrying this pistol as my "hog defense gun" when I go out in the woods. I'm in Texas and we have a serious hog probably around here, plus they're genuinely dangerous and aggressive, they will attack people (frequently in packs, hence the reason you'll see deer hunters in the woods around here with AR-10s and M1As with 20 rd magazines - the 1st round is for the deer, the other 19 are in case of hog attack). I was planning on loading it up with this stuff, 255gr Hard Cast +P from Buffalo Bore - I'll take any other suggestions if anyone has them. Yes, I too have heard that the USP can handle .45 Super with no modifications, but I'm still not sure if I'm brave enough to try that or if it would be worth the increase in recoil...seems to me like some of that hard cast +P like I linked to above there would be sufficient (for hog).

Oh, and props to Top Gun Supply! They're who I bought it from. I was going to buy from Bud's (I have an account there) but at the last minute figured I'd give them a chance since I've never ordered a gun from them before and they were 10 bucks cheaper. I ordered on Monday and, much to my surprise, it got here on Wednesday! I was expecting Friday but apparently they sent it 2nd day air for some reason. Super fast shipping and only $9.95 (that's their flat rate for all handguns)! Thanks guys, good service and good deal. My total came out to $869 after a $20 transfer fee, then minus the $200 rebate I should have from HK in a couple weeks and that brings me out to $669 for a brand new (manufactured this year, BE date code) HK USP .45 full-size.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Congrats. The rebate makes it a great time to pick up new HKs. I can't recommend a good hog round but I am certain the USP will get the job done against any hog.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Homie ain't gettin' MY bag EITHER!

I got the same gun, from the same store, on the same day. This is the second firearm I've purchased from Top Gun, and their service is excellent.

I can't wait to get this one to the range and see how it compares to my HK45!

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Congrats on the USP! I was slow getting into the USP line, but it is now by far and away my favorite. Picking up my third USP 45 variant tomorrow actually. Opinions are like posteriors when it comes to ammunition, and a 45 ACP vs. 45 Super discussion will probably get the thread zapped. Only you can decide if the stronger recoil, brighter flash, and time between follow up shots is worth the extra punch for you. Yes the USP is stated to handle all varieties of 45 ammunition, but I wouldn't feed it a steady diet of 45 Super. It will increase wear. Run enough through the gun though to satisfy yourself of reliability and compatibility with that ammo. You don't want to be facing a hoard of rampaging pigs and discover your pistol doesn't like "X" brand ammunition!

The standard USP45 is a great general purpose gun. Good capacity, powerful round, very accurate, incredibly robust (Documented 300,000 rounds through a single gun!), and it carries well as a duty or CCW piece. It uses a different recoil assembly than more recent guns. The dual springs really make it a soft shooting pistol.

I ordered the match trigger kit from the HK Webshop since they are on sale. You might look into doing the match trigger before you send it to Bruce.

Congrats again and welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
667 Posts
Congrats!
The USP 45 was my rebate gun too and I'm very glad I chose it. I had the same experience you did when taking it to the range-the accuracy and recoil was impressive. I was afraid to get it at first because I thought it would be too hefty for my hands but I'm finding I can make it work. Its not a cc gun for me but I have other guns to fill that role. This will be range, HD, and a good SHTF weapon.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm another USP 45 rebate sucker... I got suckered in to two other rebate guns too. Haha.

My USP shoots so much better than some of my friends' guns of the same caliber. I don't think you really need a monster round as shot placement is going to play a bigger role in what you do. I'd probably just fill it with Federal HSTs and call it a day.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Great choice!

Likewise, picked up a USP 45 on the second day of rebate, took it to the range and I fell for it so much so that I just picked up a USP 9.
Then that stupid webshop Black Friday deal, got 3 mags, and match triggers for both of them (and some fanboy gear for me).

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I got the same gun, from the same store, on the same day. This is the second firearm I've purchased from Top Gun, and their service is excellent.

I can't wait to get this one to the range and see how it compares to my HK45!
Did yours come by 2nd day air, too? I was told by my FFL I used that because they used the USPS they had to ship it air if it's a handgun, which I didn't think was the case if they (people sending the handgun) have an FFL.

I'm another USP 45 rebate sucker... I got suckered in to two other rebate guns too. Haha.

My USP shoots so much better than some of my friends' guns of the same caliber. I don't think you really need a monster round as shot placement is going to play a bigger role in what you do. I'd probably just fill it with Federal HSTs and call it a day.
I checked the specs on some .45 Super from Underwood and compared them to the Buffalo Bore +P I was looking at, both with the same bullet (255gr hardcast flatnose): 960 FPS on the +P vs 1075 on the .45 Super. Probably not worth it, that just doesn't seem like that much. Also, hardcast flatnose penetrates flesh like crazy, I can't imagine that Buffalo Bore round having trouble reaching the vitals of anything under about 1000 lbs.

Congrats!
The USP 45 was my rebate gun too and I'm very glad I chose it. I had the same experience you did when taking it to the range-the accuracy and recoil was impressive. I was afraid to get it at first because I thought it would be too hefty for my hands but I'm finding I can make it work. Its not a cc gun for me but I have other guns to fill that role. This will be range, HD, and a good SHTF weapon.

The recoil was what got me: it was just so much lighter and softer than that of my 1911 (steel, full size)!

My only quibble is that the mag release pinches the skin on top of my middle finger any time a magazine is inserted. I'd kill for a fix to that problem (already sent an e-mail to GrayGuns asking about it, we'll see if they've got any such thing).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Did yours come by 2nd day air, too? I was told by my FFL I used that because they used the USPS they had to ship it air if it's a handgun, which I didn't think was the case if they (people sending the handgun) have an FFL.

Mine came 2nd day air as well. In fact, Top Gun didn't have my FFL's info on hand. I had them send the info out to top Gun at around 3:30, and Top Gun had my order in the mail within an hour. Not bad.

Regarding your question about whether or not plain old 45 ACP is good enough for a hog, get on to you tube and search "Hogs Head Ammunition Test". There is a guy that tests ammo using actual hogs heads. (Unfortunately, I can't remember his handle.) He tested, I believe, Speer Gold Dot 230 grain standard pressure loads using a hog's head. The bullet blew right through the thickest part of the skull, then penetrated two or three gallon jugs of water stacked behind the head. Not bad, if I do say so myself.

Have fun with your new toy! I know I will!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Mine came 2nd day air as well. In fact, Top Gun didn't have my FFL's info on hand. I had them send the info out to top Gun at around 3:30, and Top Gun had my order in the mail within an hour. Not bad.

Regarding your question about whether or not plain old 45 ACP is good enough for a hog, get on to you tube and search "Hogs Head Ammunition Test". There is a guy that tests ammo using actual hogs heads. (Unfortunately, I can't remember his handle.) He tested, I believe, Speer Gold Dot 230 grain standard pressure loads using a hog's head. The bullet blew right through the thickest part of the skull, then penetrated two or three gallon jugs of water stacked behind the head. Not bad, if I do say so myself.

Have fun with your new toy! I know I will!
Ok, good deal, thanks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts