HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Banned
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! I'm still very new to the site here, but I wanted to post pics of my new SL8 conversion that I did.

This is the cut to the window I did. It took 3 dremel heads and about 2 hours to hit it.

A top view of the cut. I think I did alright

The completed rifle

I had hell of a time with the bolt as I got the US made bolt from HK parts (Not the HDPS one). The extractor claw axle pin would not fit in the new bolt (Off by 1/9000 of an inch) so I went to town with the belt sander and a nail and tapped it in. So far, the mad scientist experiment works, but still need to go to the range to test fire it. I also added on a G36c stock and the AR15 Magwell.

The reason I am proud of this is that I did all the work to get it here. I know I'm no where near the level of Chopstix Kid or Tbostic, but I do think I didn't do a half bad job.

Well there it is. I welcome constructive feedback so please let me know how you think I did.

·
Banned
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you! I had a blast making it XD

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,216 Posts
Looks good. HUGE + for not over cutting the magwell like many people do. Great job!... and congrats!

·
Banned
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you! This has been a fun build but I'm concerned about the stability of the nail I used for the extractor axle. A friend of mine who is experienced with firearms maintenance said it should be fine but I would like some other opinions on it.

@Mitzelj: I started with a large cutting wheel for the initial cuts then I used a combination of a larger sanding wheel, a smaller sanding wheel, and the tiny carving head for the fine internal cuts. I'll try to post pics tonight for ya. :)

·
Banned
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@Mitzelj: Ok so I kinda lied and found I actually used 5 dremel heads (gasp). Basically though, I started with the big and worked my way down all the way to the carving head. (The long all metal bit)

Also wanted to post a little bit better shot of the inside of the receiver.

And lastly, here's the bolt.

Now the pin centered in this shot is actually a nail I shaped to the correct size, tapped it in and sanded off. I would like some feedback on is this gonna even work in the first place. Thanks!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Thanks much for the info. As for the bolt you should be ok as long as there is sufficient extractor tension. The pin is not stressed during firing and the pivot forces after extraction should not be that high. As always YMMV. Good luck, Jeff

·
Banned
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So quick question for people. This has got my head scratchin' a but bt could anyone tell me which model of SL8 I got here? -6 or is it -1? And if so does anyone know what kind of issue I might face with barrel removal? I've scanned the board and found that depending on the model, the barrel can be easy or hard depending. Thanks!

I painted the numbers and stuff with some Testors paints because I thought it'd look cool :62:

·
Banned
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I know it says -1 but due to multiple searches, I've found that the -1 can lie. It came looking like a -6 so I'm not entirely sure.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Since yours is black and marked SL8-1 rather than SL8 it's a Trussville, VA gun and barrel removal shouldn't be an issue, but you will still need the proper tools, about 230 or so from HKparts.net or pay someone with the tools..

·
Premium Member
3,028 Posts
You have a 1st Gen SL8-6 there..they came black but were still engraved with the SL8-1 before they began embossing(Gen 2) them instead of engraving and as stated above barrel removal should be without issue.

·
Banned
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sweet. Thank you for giving me a straight answer on this as searching has only turned up more confusion and vagueness. On I'm just looking to get the barrel threaded for a compensator and up be giving a range report as soon as I can. Thanks again!

·
Banned
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok! I finally had the cahnce to get out to the range today and test out the rifle after months of being in pieces! I was very nervouse as all the modifications were performed by me so I felt a little edgy about shooting it. But I did put around 200 rounds through it with absolutely no malfunctions. I'm very happy that I have a functioning SL8 again XD

I had to re-adjust the scope because it had been moved around quite a bit, but by the end, I was getting some good groups out at 100 yrds.

So yes, My new SL8/G36 conversion completed.

I may eventually go to the HDPS stock block and actual G36 lower, but for now I am totally satified with my conversion! If you have questions, comments, please post them!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Excellent build. Did you have any trouble with the bolt not locking back after the last shot. I've heard some folks had some issues of bolt not locking back with the tn/sw grip&stock setup & maybe w/single stack mag. Any chance you can post a pic of the trigger and catch?

·
Banned
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Did you have any trouble with the bolt not locking back after the last shot. I've heard some folks had some issues of bolt not locking back with the tn/sw grip&stock setup & maybe w/single stack mag.
I did have that issue when shooting today, but it's not something that really bugged me. I'll post pics when I can of my Trigger and catch. If anyone has some insight to how this could be solved, please let me know!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts