HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if anyone else wondered why the different grip styles on the HK45 Fullsize and Compact. From a manufacturing and design standpoint, HK would make a fullsize and then simply scale it down for the compact. It is clear that the fullsize and Compact are somewhat different. Fullsize has the more ergonomically grooved grips, while the Compact has P2000 style flat grip. This is further compounded by some prototype HK45 fullsize with the same P2000 style flat grip. My guess is that HK designed the HK45 originally from the P2000 line. It held off on the production due to specific requirements of that SOCOM pistol proposals. Then the fullsize was redesigned with changeable grips to meet the SOCOM specs.

Personally I think the Compact looks better, but having never tried the so called "spidey" grips, I can't say it's not as good or even better. It may be one of those love it or hate it type grips.

·
Premium Member
3,970 Posts
Not sure if anyone else wondered why the different grip styles on the HK45 Fullsize and Compact. From a manufacturing and design standpoint, HK would make a fullsize and then simply scale it down for the compact. It is clear that the fullsize and Compact are somewhat different. Fullsize has the more ergonomically grooved grips, while the Compact has P2000 style flat grip. This is further compounded by some prototype HK45 fullsize with the same P2000 style flat grip. My guess is that HK designed the HK45 originally from the P2000 line. It held off on the production due to specific requirements of that SOCOM pistol proposals. Then the fullsize was redesigned with changeable grips to meet the SOCOM specs.

Personally I think the Compact looks better, but having never tried the so called "spidey" grips, I can't say it's not as good or even better. It may be one of those love it or hate it type grips.

+1 to that. lets actually hold/shoot the newer grip before we judge it! It may very well increase handling and control of the handgun.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Would like to see photos of the 'left side' too. That P30 style grip looks ok, I know its not flat, but 'swelled' on the grip panels - still not a fan of grooved front straps since the generaly lock my grip onto the frame in the wrong position.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Does anyone know if the HK45C is supposed to be comparable in size to the USPC/P2000 and the HK45F to the USP fullsize?

I'd love the HK45C to be in between the P2000 and P2000SK size. I'm sure they didn't do that package in a P2000SK size.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Personally I rather like the compact version with its "tactical" threaded muzzle. Wasn't the fullsize suppose to have threaded muzzle as well?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Does anyone know if the HK45C is supposed to be comparable in size to the USPC/P2000 and the HK45F to the USP fullsize?
My guess is yes.....compareable to the USPc
the USPc mags are to fit into the HK45CT.......

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, the Compact will be about size of P2000, and the HK45 fullsize is actually suppose to be USP size, but with more ergonomic "spidey" grips that feel better than P2000. We'll just have to see.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Looks nice. Wonder what the price would be...and whats up with the baseplate on the black one? Looks like the black chipped away to reveal an "OD" color?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Wow those are beautiful. I want HK45 and HK45c both with threaded barrels.

Does anyone know if they have O-ring on the barrels and match triggers? Thread pitch?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Well, on the Spidey-grips which I cannot stand as you know, the HK45 is not beyond having the finger grooves removed and full stippling done on the grip as has been done on GLOCKs.

May be able to "save" this gun (for myself that is) after a grip modification and still be satisifed. Hmmmm... :D

·
Registered
390 Posts
I Think it will be hard to improve on the feel of the original USP due to the nice sharp surface of the grip that gives you a really good hold on the gun. These newer HK,s do not seen to have as sharp of a grip surface as the USP line but I still want to buy both of them. I hope they come out with the gun in all black instead of yellow! Is HK going to make a full size tac & a compact tac in yellow without the spidey grip like the photo below?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Not likely, even though the tooling has been done for them. I think they should offer both versions (Spidey and P2000-series grips).

The only improvement I could see on the design above is more aggressive stippling or checkering on the front and back strap, other than that - the versions above would be conducive to more people of varying handsizes than relying on finger-grooves to satisfy everyone (which it might not do).

As seen above, love them!

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Here is my theory on the difference.

The HK45 (fullsize) got a hell of a lot more development over time. This gun was supposed to be the new Army pistol. Probably, the compact model was always a secondary item. When the JCP died, H&K stopped development. H&K decided to offer them as is, whithout correcting the grip on the compact. This is probably good, since folks who like the old-school grip can just buy a compact. Me, I will take the fullsize thank you! :53:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts