HKPRO Forums banner

My theory on the HK45 and HK45 Compact differences

21K views 27 replies 21 participants last post by  Huey 
#1 ·
Not sure if anyone else wondered why the different grip styles on the HK45 Fullsize and Compact. From a manufacturing and design standpoint, HK would make a fullsize and then simply scale it down for the compact. It is clear that the fullsize and Compact are somewhat different. Fullsize has the more ergonomically grooved grips, while the Compact has P2000 style flat grip. This is further compounded by some prototype HK45 fullsize with the same P2000 style flat grip. My guess is that HK designed the HK45 originally from the P2000 line. It held off on the production due to specific requirements of that SOCOM pistol proposals. Then the fullsize was redesigned with changeable grips to meet the SOCOM specs.

Personally I think the Compact looks better, but having never tried the so called "spidey" grips, I can't say it's not as good or even better. It may be one of those love it or hate it type grips.

See less See more
#3 ·
+1 to that. lets actually hold/shoot the newer grip before we judge it! It may very well increase handling and control of the handgun.

#4 ·
Would like to see photos of the 'left side' too. That P30 style grip looks ok, I know its not flat, but 'swelled' on the grip panels - still not a fan of grooved front straps since the generaly lock my grip onto the frame in the wrong position.

#14 · (Edited)
Wow those are beautiful. I want HK45 and HK45c both with threaded barrels.

Does anyone know if they have O-ring on the barrels and match triggers? Thread pitch?

#17 · (Edited)
Well, on the Spidey-grips which I cannot stand as you know, the HK45 is not beyond having the finger grooves removed and full stippling done on the grip as has been done on GLOCKs.

May be able to "save" this gun (for myself that is) after a grip modification and still be satisifed. Hmmmm... :D

#18 ·
I Think it will be hard to improve on the feel of the original USP due to the nice sharp surface of the grip that gives you a really good hold on the gun. These newer HK,s do not seen to have as sharp of a grip surface as the USP line but I still want to buy both of them. I hope they come out with the gun in all black instead of yellow! Is HK going to make a full size tac & a compact tac in yellow without the spidey grip like the photo below?

#19 · (Edited)
Not likely, even though the tooling has been done for them. I think they should offer both versions (Spidey and P2000-series grips).

The only improvement I could see on the design above is more aggressive stippling or checkering on the front and back strap, other than that - the versions above would be conducive to more people of varying handsizes than relying on finger-grooves to satisfy everyone (which it might not do).

As seen above, love them!

#20 ·
Here is my theory on the difference.

The HK45 (fullsize) got a hell of a lot more development over time. This gun was supposed to be the new Army pistol. Probably, the compact model was always a secondary item. When the JCP died, H&K stopped development. H&K decided to offer them as is, whithout correcting the grip on the compact. This is probably good, since folks who like the old-school grip can just buy a compact. Me, I will take the fullsize thank you! :53:

#21 ·
See...

I remember when ALOT of people complained about the HK45 full sz 'Spidey' grips and I was saying, watch, build it, they'll come, or at least accept the 'Spidey' grips. Just heard from someone else, who handled it at that Shot Show how great it feels. Greg Bell knows and at least he's not ashamed of the Spidey grips.

I also trust HK and the things they do....

Even tho they're weird and painted the Shot Show HK45 full size models black....that's like the Bentley display at the Int'l Auto Show slapping fake hub caps on a Bentley at the last minute. Ahhh....HK. ;)

#22 ·
LOL. Well, the HK45 wasn't painted black. HKPRO confirmed yesterday that only the mags were painted. It looks like the black mag bases aren't ready yet.

They must have painted it with a "Sharpie" or something. :14000000:

G
#25 ·
Smells of old-school 1911 heads getting all whiney about the HK not being pretty enough.
I've heard them complain that 'Gunner grips don't "look" well with a 1911'...because of the dimple pattern on them!

Well sorry, I just want it to feel right and work well, to hell with what it looks like...Form follows function as HK always tell us!
The first HK45C grips look very like the MP7s...they're pretty comfortable and plenty 'grippy' :)
Probably a practical reason for them too...its easier to clean dirt off them than the usual recessed checkering etc.

Those spidey-grips look much better in black too lol ;)

#27 ·
Smells of old-school 1911 heads getting all whiney about the HK not being pretty enough.
Yup, grip still sucks aesthetically. I don't mind the palm-swells in either side of the grip, but it still looks cheezy - sorry, just the way it is.

I'd still stick to the P2000-slim-line/Vickers original concept versions if I had the choice, thanks.

Whiney or not, I couldn't give a damn. :D

#26 ·
has anyone come across a picture of the magwell without the mag in?
Also, it looks as if the HK45 has less material behind the hammer, and less "boxy", (ie: where the web of the hand rests), if so, this is an improvement over the USP. It may allow for a higher grip, and more control.

Having been using my sti Edge lately, this is the only problem I see with the USP, that and a friendlier mag well area that won't hinder mag changes, or "speed-reload" would be an improvement and something i would be willing to switch over from my USP.

#28 · (Edited)
I recently purchased an HK45. It was my first H&K but certainly not my first full size pistol (I own a 1911-A1).

I have fired, but never owned, a USP 45. I have hands that are quite large...large enough to find the 1911 grips a bit too narrow for a very nice grip. (I added a Pachmyer grip).

Aesthetically, I really dig the "Spidey" grips. I like the USP's from a looks standpoint, too. I have also found the checkerboarding on the front strap of the USP to be a bit too severe for my taste. They just seemed a bit too deep.

I lucked out, actually. I had decided to try the USP again when I went shopping for a good DAO or DA/SA pistol for the house. The clerk, not realizing the difference, came out with the first HK45 sold at that store here in Huntsville, AL. He just grabbed an H&K .45 from new stock. He also grabbed a used USP compact.

Comparing the two side by side, I instantly liked the look of the HK45 better. There's something almost futuristic about the MIL-STD-1913 rails. Ergonomically, the grip is a perfect fit for me, even with the small back strap. I can grip tightly without leaving an imprint on my fingers. It's almost as if the handle has been molded to my hand. I found this particular grip VERY comfortable to shoot with. Having been absent from the range for some time, I cannot comment on any perceived increase or decrease in accuracy, but the stability of the weapon in my hand seemed to reduce fatigue in my larger hand muscles and fingers.

I would really like to see the Compact with this style of grip, but will likely get one regardless (as a CCP) due to the continuity of controls.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.