HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've owned this PTR-32 KFR for just over a year. I've taken her out to the firing range half a dozen times, put over 2K rounds through her, and other than an extremely sporadic light firing pin strike, I've had zero problems with her and thoroughly enjoy the bejesus out of her! Anyway, last weekend I completed a small project of modifying a Cherokee HK & Cetme Cheek Piece/Riser so that I could appropriately look through my Hensoldt ZR Model ONE optic. . . and I'm calling my carbine "done." (Her trigger pack visited Bill Springfield as soon as I took possession of her, so that block has been checked.)

What do you think? (click on the pic and it'll enlarge)

~Gary

·
Registered
25 Posts
That looks great with the wide forearm. What's your experience been as far as magazines?
I've been torn between the PTR32 and saving for a 34.

·
Registered
279 Posts
That's not just done, its well done. Nice job man !! With that scope, mount, pws brake, BS trigger job and the Cherokee I bet it shoots sweet with some nice groups. You gotta post some target pics.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That looks great with the wide forearm. What's your experience been as far as magazines?
I've been torn between the PTR32 and saving for a 34.
My PTR-32 arrived with a single Bulgarian AK-47 magazine. . . and the Bulgarian AK mag is what is recommended by the firearm's manufacturer. I own eight such magazines now and they've all functioned flawlessly with the rifle.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
hansellhd -- Extraordinarily nice!!!!

So, although no one has inquired, the following is what I did to lower the height on my Cherokee HK & Cetme Cheek Riser so that I could obtain the appropriate eye level to my Hensoldt ZF Model ONE optic mounted on an ARMS #19 Dovetail/Stanag scope mount:

Using a cutting bit on my Dremel tool, I cut-off between a half to 3/4's of an inch off the top of the Cheek Riser. Then using very coarse sand paper on a flat surface, I leveled the cut the Dremel tool made.

I then drilled many shallow holes into the top surface area of cheek riser and inside the vacant tube area using a standard electric drill and small drill bit. . . and then mixed together two tubes of JB Weld KwikPlastik putty, and pressed it into the cut-off top of the cheek riser, and let it cure overnight. Hindsight being what it is, I believe I used 1/3 too much of the putty. . . but it is always easier and arguably better to have to rasp and sand away the excess, then find oneself needing to apply more plastik putty latter on.

Then I used a combination of a sanding bit in my Dremel tool, wood filing rasp, hand held files, and finally coarse and fine sandpaper. When using the sandpaper, I located a scrap piece of thin metal pipe and cut it length-wise in half, to obtain the half-circle / dome shape I wanted the top of the cheek riser to ultimately form. I placed the sandpaper inside/underneath the half-pipe and commenced sanding the top of the cheek riser until smooth and uniformly shaped.

Finally, I applied two coats of spray paint on the top portion of the cheek riser. . . and a third and final coat over the entire exterior of the cheek riser. Allowed the paint to dry thoroughly for over 24 hours. . . . and then finished it off with a 1/16" thick piece of neoprene rubber that had one side professionally covered in self-adhesive (you know; you just peel off the wax-like paper and stick the neoprene rubber onto whatever surface you choose). I obtained the small sheet of self-adhesive neoprene rubber from eBay.

I'm really glad that I went through this hassle, because now my cheek weld to the stock is friggen perfect for my scope and scope mount configuration.

~Gary

Attachments

·
Registered
199 Posts
Okay, I try to keep up on gadgets and parts for the 9X series of rifles, but it appears that I am behind the curve on an item. Tell me about the ambi extended mag release hanging in front of your trigger guard. By the way, nice rifle and very nice job on the cheek riser.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Okay, I try to keep up on gadgets and parts for the 9X series of rifles, but it appears that I am behind the curve on an item. Tell me about the ambi extended mag release hanging in front of your trigger guard. By the way, nice rifle and very nice job on the cheek riser.
Thank you for the compliment regarding the cheek riser mod.

Regarding the ambi-extended magazine release catch, I pretty much cover it here: http://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-clone...gazine-release-options-hk93-ptr91-rifles.html

For me, adding this mod to my PTR-32 was a no-brainer. . . since the PTR-32's receiver is designed around using AK47 magazines and has the typical AK-type mag release catch. Many AK owners (not all of course) perform similar mods to their rifles. Since I have an AK74 clone that is set-up this same way, for me it's about creating the muscle memory and battle drills when performing a magazine exchange with either long gun.

I would submit that it comes down to personal choice. Regarding modifying the mag catch, I'm sure many would say, "If it isn't broke, why fix it?" and that sort of thing. I don't dispute that. Even among AK traditionalists, a lot of frowning is expressed when some guys choose to modify their Kalashnikov AKs. I say whatever floats your boat.

The nice thing about this particular mod, is that absolutely nothing is done to alter the PTR's original mag catch. All I did was to bolt-on (after modifying it to fit) an aftermarket part. If I want to go back to the original OEM configuration, all I need do is unscrew two bolts and remove the part from the mag catch. Simple as cake.

·
Registered
10,251 Posts
Not bad. I like it when guys go out on a limb and aren't afraid to modify their guns and I mean a bit beyond changing out the furniture or throwing a scope or red dot on it. Good job.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you Shattered, I appreciate the kind words.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Several weeks back I obtained the very last upgrade part for my PTR-32, an extended fire/safety selector lever. Now she's perfect. :43:

CIMG5067.jpg

CIMG5071.jpg

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Trigger jobs can sometimes leave the firing pin strike a little light.. my PTR 91 has not ignited a few of my Chinese copper washed 7.62 NATO rounds.. but just two out of hundreds. Not a big deal unless you are in CQC

That trigger group will be a backup for my pack since I will eventually build up a Fleming TG as the main unit

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Trigger jobs can sometimes leave the firing pin strike a little light.. my PTR 91 has not ignited a few of my Chinese copper washed 7.62 NATO rounds.. but just two out of hundreds. Not a big deal unless you are in CQC

That trigger group will be a backup for my pack since I will eventually build up a Fleming TG as the main unit
I'm likely going to follow the suggestion that HART1 (post #5) made and cut one of the coils off of my firing pin spring when next I fully disassemble the rifle.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts