HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
HKPro Professional
733 Posts
But when I put two rounds through your heart and one through your head, you won't know the difference, and neither will the enemy
That line gets a chuckle out of me everytime! :D

·
Super Moderator
4,379 Posts
It is interesting that in at least two occasions in that video, the operators are placing the thumb of their shooting hand on the same side of the grip as their trigger finger. I've not seen it done that way before, nor would I think it wise to do so. Watch during the one SEAL's groucho walk as he shoots and before he transitions to the handgun, you'll see what I'm talking about. He'll have his right thumb on the right side of the grip frame even though he's right-handed and pulling the trigger with his right index finger. I'm guessing that he's preparing to transition more easily from semi to full if needed and has a short thumb . . .

·
Registered
589 Posts
Seals don't have opposable thumbs! :p

That is an odd way to hold one's rifle. You'd think it would be easier to lose control of the weapon that way.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Perhaps the SEALS have developed some webbing between their fingers after some years in the water like a lot of amphibians.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I would assume the Seal had a reason for the different grip on his weapon. Fire selection makes sense. I seriously doubt you'd get the opportunity to take the weapon from him though. In my 20 years naval service I had the pleasure of knowing several Seals pretty well. Good group of guys and tough as nails. You won't find a better trained, or more dedicated outfit anywhere in the world IMHO. That comment regarding 9mm shot placement was great and right on the money. Thanks for posting the link.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Two quick observations ...

A soon-to-be Son-in-Law is a SEAL and he does the same thing - right thumb on the right side. IIRC, he mentioned that it comes back to use of gross versus fine motor skill, not being dependent upon the use of the thumb to grip and fire accurately.

And they all favor semi-automatic for their setting. Make each shot count, don't waste ammo spraying it; every shot an aimed shot.

The MP5 is no longer the primary weapon for most SEALs. They switched to the M4 a while ago, and my SIL's unit has moved beyond that and uses HK416s for their primaries. The SIG P226 is the official issue secondary but recently the HK USP 45 CT with suppressor has become the secondary of choice for much of his unit.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Individual operator preference, though ...

from what I gather the standard configuration is nearly universal.

It is really individual preference, not an "issued" mandate. If you want a 1911, you may carry that; if you want the HK USP 45 CT, you may carry that; if you want the P226, you may carry that. Something else? Go for it. I suspect that the USP 45 CT is kind of "hot" and "of the moment", quite apart from its being a fine handgun.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Cool video, but this video is quite old. It's been aired on Discovery channel for while, I think it was about 2~3 years ago. So there may have been lots of change going on inside of the SEAL team.

First, in the video, you notice they don't use holo sights or dot sighits on their MP5s.

And, last time I heard about the SEAL team (SEAL team 1 and 6) was that in these days, the SEALs rarely use MP5 anymore, simply because of the lack of stopping power of the 9mm. Instead, they mostly use 5.56mm M4 in 10.5 inch barrel, replacing the MP5s.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts