HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I work for Freightliner in Portland, OR. Oregon with it's many other issues is still NFA friendly. Freightliner is working on moving some of it's corporate offices to NC, possibly all by 2011. What is the bottom line on moving my HK toys to NC? Not just the FA stuff but what about anything that can hold 31 rounds? Seems NC has some pretty unique laws.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I live in SC, and have a second home in the NC mountains. NC is NOT NFA friendly. The state requires a a permit for any full auto gun.....the permit is issued by the county sheriff in the county you live in....and most will NOT issue it. BATFE will not approve a 5320.20 for moving without the NC permit signed off BEFORE requesting the 5320.20.

You will need to build a relationship with yor local PD / Sheriff to get this one done.

NC is largely becoming a Yankee state with tons of people moving down from New England, New York, and New Jersey. the Town oc Cary is commonly referred to as "Containment area for relocated yankees"

Good luck..........you will need it.

PS...there is a NC NFA defense fund that is active and can be of assistance.

http://www.ncrpa.org/ncgunfaq.htm
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/user/wbardwel/public/nfalist/nfa_faq.txt

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

I guess I pray the move does not happen, or I might have to find another job.

·
Registered
86 Posts
All is not lost.

What city are they talking about? If it is Charlotte.....then simply live in SC just a few miles south. If it is Wilmington...then try the Myrtle Beach SC areas. If you are talking about Raleigh / Durham....well.....then you may be screwed.

all depends on the area.

·
Registered
851 Posts
NC is largely becoming a Yankee state with tons of people moving down from New England, New York, and New Jersey. the Town oc Cary is commonly referred to as "Containment area for relocated yankees"
So your saying there's a chance I would see Yogi, Reggie, Gator, and Goose down there? LOL :D

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So SC is friendly?

I thought I saw on some NFA friendly list that SC did not allow machine guns. Do I have bad info? If I live in SC I'll be OK? I am guessing that the move would put us close to Cleveland, NC. That seems like quite aways from SC. Thanks for the info & help.

·
Premium Member
8,625 Posts
South Carolina's law was changed in 2001 to allow all federally registered firearms. North Carolina, on the other hand, is still using laws from the Jim Crow era, so they are very restrictive.

I had no idea.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Clevaland NC - that SUCKS

Not too far north of Charlotte...so you could live in SC and commute....but then you have to brave what I lovingly call "CAR LOT, NC due to the traffic jams. We go through there to get to our second home in the NC mountains.

SC you can have MG's, suppressors, DD's, etc. On top of that...in SC, if you are a law abiding person...you can have a loaded pistol in a compartment in your car...i.e...glove box, console, case, etc....without a pistol permit. I have my premit, but it is a nice thing to know for someone moving here.

The downside of SC is we have crime.....way too much violent crime. Crime stats just came out that show SC as the most violent state....That is why we have soooo many gated communities here....and why I carry 24/7. We have too many un-educated, entitlement generations here that simply live off of the system and rob / rape / pillage / plunder what ever else they want. Add to it a healthy dose of meth heads...and well there you have it.

Good luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
The county in which you reside is critical in NC because the Sherrif is the one that calls the shots on permits and such. I live in Haywood County and our Sherrif is AWESOME!

·
Premium Member
486 Posts
What happens if you are/were a Class3 dealer and aquire them while you are licensed and do not need the LEO to issue the permit after you give up the license?

·
Registered
35 Posts
IF you are moving to a county that is not NFA friendly, all you need to do is set up a TRUST. Then place your NFA goodies in the trust. The trust then owns the goodies, you do not own them at that time. However, you are the "overseer" of the trust. Got it?

I live in Greenville, NC and luckily our sherrif is super cool about NFA items.

The research triangle (Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill) does NOT do NFA items.

If you are in NC and decide to apply for another NFA item you must use "research and design" as you reason for aquiring or making the item. Weird, huh?

Any way, if you just set up a trust and place your items in the trust you can go to ANY county in NC regardless of what the sherrif thinks. You do NOT need his/her permission if your items are owned under the trust.

If you need more info on settin up trusts for NFA goodies, go to the Class III section on ar15.com. Or, just do a web search. It's a piece of cake. My wife and I are thinking of moving to Raleigh so I've been looking at setting up a trust for my NFA stuff if we decide to move there.

Chris

·
Registered
232 Posts
Trust route is only valid for SBRs SBSs and suppressors. NC has an entire statue for just machine guns that requires a permit from the sheriff of the county where the weapon is located. It specifically states that the NC AG does not consider a federal permit as a valid license by itself.

·
Registered
35 Posts
NC has an entire statue for just machine guns that requires a permit from the sheriff of the county where the weapon is located.
This is very true. I didn't think to mention that. I assumed the OP was looking for NFA stuff other than F/A parts.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I was just reading some NC's laws, specifically NCGS § 14-288.8 and I still don't see how the trust would help (please show me where I'm missing something).

Patrick

IV. Restricted And Prohibited Weapons

B. Weapons of Mass Destruction

"North Carolina General Statute § 14-288.8 provides that it is unlawful for any person to manufacture, assemble, possess, store, transport, sell, offer to sell, purchase, offer to purchase, deliver, give to another, or acquire any weapon of mass death and destruction. A weapon of mass death and destruction includes:

... (edited out for brevity)

7. any firearm capable of fully automatic fire;

9. a rifle with a barrel length of less than sixteen (16) inches or an overall length of less than twenty-six (26) inches;

10. any muffler or silencer for any firearm, whether or not such firearm is included within this definition; and

11. any combination of parts either designed or intended for use in converting a device into any weapon described above, and from which a weapon of mass death and destruction may readily be assembled."

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am also, very curious. I know that in VA you can set up a trust to bypass LE approval, and was hoping that it was the same in NC. Any info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I live in Raleigh. Have lived in Durham, Cary, and Chapel Hill in the past. It's pretty much hopeless here in this area. NC is anti-gun as hell as far as I know it. The Wake County Sheriff (won't mention his name) will NOT sign for any NFA items. He won't even sign for his own deputies or RPD officers. Neighboring Johnston county might be a no-go too. Forget Durham County. They REQUIRE handgun registration for purchases. In this state, unless you have CCW, you even have to get pistol permits just to buy handguns. I know a guy who was questioned because he got 5 pistol permits (the limit) at once. The police asked him why he needed 5 handguns. Yes, NC is very very anti-gun. Not quite as bad as NYC, CA, or IL but getting there. Yes, they consider full-autos "weapons of mass death and destruction." Isn't it funny that MP5s and M4s are considered "small arms"?

·
Premium Member
486 Posts
So what about weapons that are acquired while you are engaged in business as an FFL with SOT status? You are certainly allowed to have them while your license is active (by NC statute) and they can be held by you when/if you are no longer and FFL/SOT by federal law as long as they are pre86 or transferable. I had an attorney freind contact the sheriff chief legal counsel and he was told that it was cool. They wouldn't issue a permit but wouldn't come after you either. It has to be a huge gray area. I am actually considering getting my license again and think I will call the NFA branch and see what they think. I recently did a change of address (from within the same county) and all the forms were signed and returned with no problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Living in Raleigh/Wake county I have found the sheriffs office to be easy to deal with. To purchase in Wake you need to obtain a pistol purchase permit from the sheriff after completing normal applications and background checks. If approved you can buy up to 5 permits for 5$ each (2005). To get your cc license you need to take a course at a local range. Then attach certificate to your cc application and again to the sheriff. Recently they passed a law that allows cc permit holders to purchase weapons without buying a permit.

Quite a few indoor ranges in wake including a county public range. Several outdoor clubs within 20 mile radius for long gun (sir walter gun club etc.)

Gun shows at the fairgrounds many times during the year.
Durham has restrictive laws concerning handguns. And they are having a difficult time with crime rates over the last several years.

Great weather, beach and mountains 3 hrs away, cost of living pretty good, no state income tax on social security last I knew.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Anyone know of a good attorney for NFA laws, trust setup, etc in/around Charlotte or western NC?
Please PM...Thanks

1 - 20 of 30 Posts