HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know much about the plastic cocking tube support used in the MP5 clones? I noticed the HK have steel ones, but clones have plastic. Does it matter to have plastic piece? It seems durable enough, and also light weight, and that area is not stressed or high impact.

So is there any reason to change out the plastic for a metal one, other than being authentic? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
8,625 Posts
Anyone know much about the plastic cocking tube support used in the MP5 clones? I noticed the HK have steel ones, but clones have plastic. Does it matter to have plastic piece? It seems durable enough, and also light weight, and that area is not stressed or high impact.

So is there any reason to change out the plastic for a metal one, other than being authentic? Thanks.
It's only purpose is unlocking the rollers and pushing the carrier back so until it quits working for whatever reason (knob falling out, getting loose, etc.) I wouldn't worry about it. Once it's cocked the first time, the cocking tube just sits there untouched.

·
Registered
132 Posts
AviatorDave is 100% correct as always ;) The only advantage having a metal one IMHO (In My Humble Opinion) is that it "feels" smoother cocking it back, with a little lube, in the tube. Damn that sounds bad. lol Save your money unless you want a more realistic clone. www.hkparts.net is the place for your tube support.. Bobcats used to ship with an aluminum one, which was the best of both worlds. Lightweight and Smooth feeling.

·
Premium Member
8,625 Posts
AviatorDave is 100% correct as always ;) The only advantage having a metal one IMHO (In My Humble Opinion) is that it "feels" smoother cocking it back, with a little lube, in the tube. Damn that sounds bad. lol Save your money unless you want a more realistic clone. www.hkparts.net is the place for your tube support.. Bobcats used to ship with an aluminum one, which was the best of both worlds. Lightweight and Smooth feeling.
Appreciate the sentiment, but it's undeserved. Some things I know for sure, the rest I just make up as I go along and hope no one notices. :)

·
Registered
1,272 Posts

A friend of mine has a Cohaire. He did not like the plastic support. He would pull the handle back and the plastic flexed just enough to drag slightly. He compared it to my gun and the difference was noticeable.

We ended up swapping it out with an all steel cocking tube support, which I machined for him. It's just a matter of preference. If you don't notice any problems, then just leave it alone.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
How to you go about installing a new all metal support???

Take the gun apart. Move the cocking handle back until the roll pin aligns with the hole. Tap the roll pin out and the handle will come out. Reassembly is in reverse order. The existing support has a detent and spring which you might replace.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts