HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, so the CLEO won't sign for my tax stamp for the UMP unless I have a 'safe' to keep it in. I was in the process of shopping for a nice safe, but I'm moving in a month and a half, so I really didn't feel like moving a huge safe into my bedroom, then having to move it again in a month.

That said, is there a cheap safe out there that would do for a month or so, until I get my fullsize? I only need room for a TE UMP and a Gemtech UMP suppressor. I haven't seen anything that size yet, but if you all have any ideas, I'd sure appreciate it...thanks in advance!

Edit: I just thought of something...I have a massive KRL1023 Snap-On toolbox in my carport...it locks, it's damn near impenetrable, and it's so big and heavy I had to rent a trailer just to move it home from the shop.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Buy one of those sheet metal jobs from walmart they bolt to the wall and floor,and the last time i saw one it was only about 99 bucks .

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sweet, thanks for the ideas, guys. :D

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would wait a few months, but I imagine Jeff at TE is getting tired of waiting on my slow arse (especially since he's closing and wants to move on to other projects), and I don't want to inconvenience the guy, so I'm trying to expedite this as much as possible. The Winter Park Police Department already screwed me around for a couple months, before finally telling me they don't do NFA signatures. As afraid and suspicious as they are of this thing, you'd think I was applying to buy an M1 Abrams or something. It's rediculous.

Anyway, I've decided that the best I'm willing to do for this guy, temporarily, is to buy a Pelican case and slap a couple Master locks on it, and buying the safe in a couple months. If he doesn't like it, I'll politely tell him I'll be bypassing him and his CLEO.

Thanks for the ideas, though, guys...I could actually use a couple of those ideas for securing a couple sensitive items at work as well. :)

·
Registered
532 Posts
Tip; don't TELL him that you're going to bypass him via LLC or corporation - there is no logical reason for you to do so, except out of spite. It accomplishes nothing to tip your hand on bypassing their efforts.

You would be disappointed to find out that your Sheriff has pull with the county commissioner who issues LLC's and Corporation documents, wouldn't you?

Yeah. If he refuses to sign based on some made-up 'storage requirement', express your dissatisfaction and leave quietly. He doesn't need to know that you're going to get it, anyway.

Good luck with the TE SBR; once you get it in your hands, you'll love it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I own 4 NFA guns. There is no way in hell I would ever own a NFA weapon without having a strong safe. They do get stolen.

Wth NFA weapons commanding premium prices.....I do not know of anyone that can afford this kind of loss.

The laws regarding safe storage of NFA weapons are very clear and spelled out by BATFE. The weapon has to be secured so ONLY the tax stamp holder has access to it. That means in your home....IF the gun is not in a safe....your spouse has access....and technically you are breaking the law.

What ATF tact agents do is the following:

They use a JoBox that is anchored into the back of their assigned vehicle. The JoBox uses regular padlocks, but the lock hasps are hidden......thus cannot be cut.

The vehicles are alarmed as well and also have tinted windows.

I am sure you can rig a JoBox in your house much like ATF does.

http://www.deltastorage.com/configurator.cfm?id=12

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I ordered a Pelican case and I've got the Master locks. It's going to be stored inside my Snap-On roll cab (which doesn't roll anymore).

Snap-On boxes are nigh-impenetrable, save for some sort of high-powered plasma cutter, and they can't be pried open, either. To keep anyone from getting ideas about stealing my toolbox while I'm about, I've removed the wheels (I live a five minute walk from a car dealer I used to work at...it helps to be on good terms with the service department there...especially the dude who drives the forklift). Anyone who wanted to get to the UMP would have to somehow open my toolbox (while somehow avoiding the gaze of my annoyingly observant neighbors), or bring a forklift to my house, load it onto a trailer, and drive off with it (again, while somehow avoiding my neighbors).

I honestly think it is completely secure in this fashion, perhaps even moreso than with a safe inside the home; with a safe inside my home, someone could sneak in with a plasma cutter, steal my pride and joy, and leave without any outside witnesses. We'll see what the Deputy has to say about this.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts