HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought an HK USPf .45 as my first pistol when I turned 21 in July of 2011. With the first couple boxes of ammo I couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn. I thought that this might be because it just needed to be broken in, but after a few hundred rounds I realized my inaccuracy had a lot to do with trigger pull (I grew up shooting rifles and shotguns and never really became very familiar with pistol shooting). After studying my HK and reading some things online I found that when the USP’s hammer is fully cocked back there is a lot of slack or “creep” in the trigger you have to pull before you get anywhere close to getting the hammer to fall. I was told this creep or slack is typical of SA/DA pistols designs and there isn’t a whole lot that can be done about it except for maybe getting a match trigger installed, have it customized/polished, or get used to it. After I learned this I started pulling that slack before getting ready to fire and my accuracy greatly increased because apparently before I was somewhat slapping the trigger because of that slack and it was throwing my shots off. I was actually able to put most of my rounds on target while standing from about 25 yards but I felt it still wasn’t grouping like it should be. A few weeks ago I decided to try shooting my HK from a bench rest at about 25 yards to really make sure that it was just my inexperience with pistols and not something wrong with my HK causing these accuracy issues. Turns out I, nor anyone else that shot it could produce better than 6” groups at 25 yards FROM THE BENCH! I’ve seen sub-compacts shoot tighter groups than that at 25 yards… I’m going to buy another two boxes of ammo and try letting a friend of mine who has a Stoeger Cougar shoot my HK and see how he does from the bench and Im going to shoot his Stoeger to make sure I don’t just suck. If I cant get it to produce better groups, I will either have it sent to HK, trade it in for an FN Five-Seven or a nice 1911, or maybe a new barrel (EFK Fire Dragon?) and HK match trigger might fix the problem? It still might just be me and my inexperience with pistols but I’ve been shooting rifles all my life so I don’t really know what it is I could be doing wrong at this point. Any insight on the matter would be greatly appreciated because I want to love this pistol and be able to feel confident with it.

P.S. I was using Winchester (White Box) .45 Auto 835fps 230gr FMJ and some cheap Monarch (Red Box) .45 Auto 230gr FMJ but neither shot better than the other.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Does that say 10 shots @ 9 yds with Remington 230gr JHP? Am I stretching it by doing my shooting at 25 yds? I was told 25 yds is standard distance on testing pistols

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah ok, well thanks and hopefully I will get better and start shooting better groups with more practice because I shot nowhere near as well as you did in that picture...I won't give up on her just yet though

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
It's the Indian - not the arrow.
That's the best way I've heard it explained in a while and also my conclusion based on the facts given. Sometimes an accomplished rifle/shotgun shooter has a harder time transitioning to a pistol than someone who has never shot before. It's an entirely different skill set. I would try and forget everything you know about shooting and go into it with a blank slate. I'd also find a good instructor and take some classes and practice those good skills as often as possible.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Don't give up on the USP. As SRG720 pictured those guns can give great results. If you're new to pistols, as was I, don't think of it in terms of "boxes" of ammo; it could take cases to get completely comfortable with your new pistol. I shoot both the standard trigger and the match trigger equally well, so I don't go changing out the trigger just yet.

Best,

TC

·
Registered
419 Posts
I found that when the USP’s hammer is fully cocked back there is a lot of slack or “creep” in the trigger you have to pull before you get anywhere close to getting the hammer to fall. I was told this creep or slack is typical of SA/DA pistols designs and there isn’t a whole lot that can be done about it except for maybe getting a match trigger installed, have it customized/polished, or get used to it.
What I would suggest is to learn trigger reset. This is pretty easy to learn to be honest. Take your gun and make it safe. Empty it completely of all ammo and then check it again. Then, try this:

Put it on "F" and pull the trigger all the way and hold it all the way back even after it "fires". While you're pulling it, you'll feel the initial "creep" before it starts to cock, then you'll feel the pressure from when it actually begins to cock. Once it's cocked the hammer and fired, with your finger still holding the trigger all the way, SLOWLY let it out until you "click". This is where it resets. This will be a lot further back with the hammer cocked, while you're shooting it.

When you take it back to the range, try this. Shoot it, but hold the trigger back, then slowly let it out until you find the reset. It'll take that "creep" out of the trigger.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts