HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at a gun show and spotted a "stainless" USP 45. I was a little unsure because it looked hard chromed and the box didn't match the pistol and the guy gave me an exuse about why the box didn't match etc.
Anyway, after research it seems the pistols were different in their finish with some smoother and more "finished" appearing than what you would normally expect for a stainless pistol. I guess the best way to describe it is the stainless grain looks rough rather than smooth and machined as you would expect. So is this the standard for stainless HK's? If I can get that pistol for around $625 which is what he wants I will jump on it if I can get some reasonable input here on how to ID stainless correctly. HELP!!!!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Price seems decent if a true stainless. I don't know how to relly tell but I can show you pics of my USPc .45 ss

Hope these help!!

·
Registered
173 Posts
one easy thing to spot is look at the extractor i have seen a lot of hardchrome jobs were the extractor was plated and is silver. factory ss usps have black extractors. i see a silver extractor i right way think not factory

·
Registered
38 Posts
So there are a couple of different finishes to the stainless USP's. The older 90's series guns ie KH date coded will have more of a flat matte finish which will look grainier than the newer finished ones. I think the new finish started with the AA or 2000 model year guns. Big Bore will be along shorly to correct me if I am wrong :) This newer finish is what has been greatly shown by gunnut45. Hope this helps.
JestersHK

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
SS HK

Yep, looks just like the one gunnut has pics of, great detail by the way and thanks guys for all the replies, I now know what to look for.

·
Premium Member
8,625 Posts
Take a magnet. Some SS alloys are not non-magnetic, and I'm not sure which one they used, but a magnet will definitely pull less towards the magnetic SS alloys than they will to normal steel.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Yep, looks just like the one gunnut has pics of, great detail by the way and thanks guys for all the replies, I now know what to look for.
Glad I could help!

·
Registered
851 Posts
One other quick telltale sign a pistol has been refinished is the serial number and date code are usually refinished over as well. If the numbers are black/brown, then its a good chance the finish is factory original (unless the seller went out of his way to pen/pencil them in). If its silver, chances are it is a non-original refinish.

Just take a look at all the pics above. All original finishes with black/brown colored serial numbers and date codes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts