HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I recently purchased a lot of ten (10) HK91/G3 30-round magazines. Based on my research, I believe three (3) of them are factory original HK. There are seven (7) others that are of unknown origin. The history of this lot according to the seller is that they were purchased from FJ Vollmer and Company back in 1979 and have been in the seller's warehouse until I purchased them. When I asked the seller if he knew the differences between the two, he thought that HK may have made 30-rounders for the HK41 and that the unknown mags may have been early versions of those.

I have attached annotated pictures with the magazines side-by-side for your viewing pleasure. There are several key differences that I have pointed out which are as follows:

• Factory HK magazine has much cleaner and more precise welds than the magazine of unknown origin.
  • Factory HK magazine has two nipples/dimples on the inside spine where unknown magazine does not but appears to have reinforcement on the inside of the mag body.
  • Factory HK magazine has one nipple/dimple on the back side of the spine at the top where unknown magazine does not but appears to be reinforced on the inside of the mag body.

Anyone who has information on these and can weigh in would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your time and thoughts! PICTURES BELOW:

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If I had bothered to search...that is laughable. What if anything about my post indicated I have not done my research? Even typing this response to your kindergarten-esque reply is painful, but necessary. Before you spout off disrespectfully, you should do your own homework - links below:

http://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-long-gun-talk/90687-hk-91-30-rnd-mags.html

http://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-long-gun-talk/175155-30-round-g3-91-magazine-info-needed.html

http://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-clone-talk/220089-hk91-30rd-mags.html

http://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-long-...hese-experimental-hk91-g3-30-rounds-mags.html

It appears your understanding is incorrect. If you don't have anything constructive to add (and "if you bothered to search" is not constructive), then just keep on scrolling, buddy.

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
I am going to go ahead and put the target on myself now. I am new to the group, but by far not new to HK weaponry. You will find some very good folks on here that are willing to help and answer your questions, then on the other hand you will encounter a few that seem to be just looking for the chance to ridicule a member....
With that being said. I have never known or heard of HK welding or manufacturing a 30 rnd. magazine. I have seen alot of U.S. welded mags, using either HK or HK contract mags, that function well. I have 20 South African mags I bought from whatacountry.com. Of the 20 I was able to refurbish and use 18 of them. I disassembled them worked out the dents and cerakoted them with semi-gloss black. I stretched the springs a little and replaced the black followers with German followers from the 20 rnd. mags. I have yet to have an issue with any of them.I'll try to add a pic of one in my G3K and PTR.

·
Vendor
1,724 Posts
I would have to agree, these are 2/20 round that have been put together by RDTS and Max Capacity. HK is a stamping house manufacturer, they would have NO reason to weld and trim 2/20RD mags together. The only thing factory about these is they use 2-20 round factory HK g3 Mags.

We sold many in mid to late 1980's early 1991 we got them from Bumble Bee and RDTS, you want verification call Ralph at RDTS he will give you the low down.

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am going to go ahead and put the target on myself now. I am new to the group, but by far not new to HK weaponry. You will find some very good folks on here that are willing to help and answer your questions, then on the other hand you will encounter a few that seem to be just looking for the chance to ridicule a member....
With that being said. I have never known or heard of HK welding or manufacturing a 30 rnd. magazine. I have seen alot of U.S. welded mags, using either HK or HK contract mags, that function well. I have 20 South African mags I bought from whatacountry.com. Of the 20 I was able to refurbish and use 18 of them. I disassembled them worked out the dents and cerakoted them with semi-gloss black. I stretched the springs a little and replaced the black followers with German followers from the 20 rnd. mags. I have yet to have an issue with any of them.I'll try to add a pic of one in my G3K and PTR.
Thanks for the reply, and I appreciate your thoughts. I am familiar with the South African 30-rounders depicted in the photos you provided. I know those for certain are not genuine HK. Some research I have done indicates that the welded mag on the right in my images above could have been produced by HK in the mid to late 1970's on-contract for the Iranian or Egyptian militaries. Again, I have nothing to actually prove this aside from doing some research and hearing from others who know much better than I do. There is also an image that appears in the book FULL CIRCLE - A Treatise on Roller Locking by R. Blake Stevens that shows what they call an "experimental" 30-round magazine made by HK.

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would have to agree, these are 2/20 round that have been put together by RDTS and Max Capacity. HK is a stamping house manufacturer, they would have NO reason to weld and trim 2/20RD mags together. The only thing factory about these is they use 2-20 round factory HK g3 Mags.

We sold many in mid to late 1980's early 1991 we got them from Bumble Bee and RDTS, you want verification call Ralph at RDTS he will give you the low down.
Thanks, Gordon. I thought that also, but the RDTS ones and others that vendors like HKParts has had in the past from them have G3 markings on them which are absent in the ones that I have. I have to think that if they took standard G3 mags that they would still have the markings on the bottom of the magazine, no?

Also, weren't the RDTS ones 40-rounders?

·
Registered
555 Posts
This mag is in a very well thought of HK book so to dismiss it as not HK may be a mistake.

·
2,832 Posts
I'll try to find the pic the HK book or maybe it was in some old HK lit. I have one myself and there are plenty of posts that say YES they exist, just not a ton of them.

Let's see some proof. Everyone that I have talked with that is directly involved with HK , or has been , just laughs. This subject goes back a few years.

·
Registered
6,749 Posts
I'll try to find the pic the HK book or maybe it was in some old HK lit. I have one myself and there are plenty of posts that say YES they exist, just not a ton of them.
I've heard plenty of references to there possibly being a 30 rder , but NO absolute proof that HK ever made one . I know Bumblebee distributed some G3 mags as well as others, but myself and the folks that I know aren't aware of HK ever doing it.

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks, Landpimp. The image from the book that had the 30-rounder and a little write-up on it used to be in the following thread but the images are no longer appearing:

http://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-long-...hese-experimental-hk91-g3-30-rounds-mags.html

I haven't been able to find the images via a general search and do not own the book, otherwise I would post them.

·
Banned
34,552 Posts
The magazine on the left is probably MCP--- they appear identical to the 30-round, Valmet M78 magazines made by MCP--- though the latter are parkerized, and the reinforcement is milled down to fit the magazine well of the Valmet M78!!! :biggrin:

Tony

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The magazine on the left is probably MCP--- they appear identical to the 30-round, Valmet M78 magazines made by MCP--- though the latter are parkerized, and the reinforcement is milled down to fit the magazine well of the Valmet M78!!! :biggrin:

Tony
Thank you (as always) for your thoughts, Tony. Very interesting... I will have to do some more research on MCP and the magazines they manufactured!

·
Banned
34,552 Posts
Thank you (as always) for your thoughts, Tony. Very interesting... I will have to do some more research on MCP and the magazines they manufactured!
Any time--- MCP produced magazines to "factory" specifications and finishes--- some of the best, after-market magazines--- and came in white, cardboard boxes!!! :biggrin:

Tony

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
Please share with us the name of that book. In my travels to Africa, Middle East, Europe, and South America, I have encountered a lot of HK and HK contract weaponry and parts, but I have never seen that. I have seen the CETME curved 30 rnd. mags.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts