HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Is it an RDTS MP5SD?

The cleaning slots in the shroud were in different locations on my RDTS gun than on the factory gun. I had to drill and tap the 6 O'clock position on the shroud to get it to work on the RDTS SD.

To mount it on the factory gun, there is an insert that drops into the 6 O'clock slots on the shroud from the inside and "fills" those slots. It is drilled and tapped to accept the mounting screws.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My cleaning slots are also offset on my S&H conversion. Did you tap the shroud or drill a hole in it and put some kind of insert behind it? It certainly explains why it wasn't fitting up right.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Same here. My RDTS shroud was too thick, so when the center rail attachment piece was in-place inside the shroud, my can wouldn't fit.

I ended up doing kinda what Shawn did. Held the rails in the proper place, drilled through it and into the shroud and then tapped the shroud for screws. The shroud is actually thick enough for it to have enough meat for the small screws to grab on to. Worked like a charm even though I don't even run it anymore due to the excessive weight.

Looked cool as hell though.

Is it possible to mod the cleaning slots on the bottom to get the center piece to line up?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Same here on the shroud thicknesses. I don't think it is possible to mod the slots on the bottom to make it work without destroying the integrity of the shroud. I'll work with a local smith to see if he can drill and tap holes in the shroud like yall have done. I need the rail to get a light and IR laser on it. The only other way I've seen is to hang them off of the can, and I'd rather not do that.

·
Registered
50 Posts
My cleaning slots are also offset on my S&H conversion. Did you tap the shroud or drill a hole in it and put some kind of insert behind it? It certainly explains why it wasn't fitting up right.
I taped the the rail system to the shroud with masking tape and marked the location for the holes. I drilled and tapped the holes in the shroud itself for the screws. I ground the screws down to the proper length so they would not interfere with the can. I did not use any type of insert. As SDduc996 said, there was enough thickness in the RDTS shroud to hold the screws (barely). I don't know about the S&H Shroud.

I used a tiny drop of red locktite on each screw every time I reassembled after cleaning. PITA. However, it was a super solid mount for a vertical grip which made the gun much easier to shoot because it was so nose heavy with the RDTS can.

I'd take a pic, but I sold that gun (RRPP, got to be worth to much to shoot!). I kept the rail though, for the MP5SD factory replica Mike @ TSC is building for me!

·
Registered
256 Posts
Same here on the shroud thicknesses. I don't think it is possible to mod the slots on the bottom to make it work without destroying the integrity of the shroud. I'll work with a local smith to see if he can drill and tap holes in the shroud like yall have done. I need the rail to get a light and IR laser on it. The only other way I've seen is to hang them off of the can, and I'd rather not do that.
You can always attach a small piece of rail to the shroud, and cut the standard handguard around it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts