HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, a few days ago I finally took the plunge and bought a "HK91" from someone for a good price. However, how can I tell if the upper's an actual HK upper???? The lower is a JLD. The seller told me he put a JLD on there because of the US parts count.

Could anyone post pics of what an actual HK91 upper looks like? thanks!

·
Registered
597 Posts
Id say if it says HK on the mag well and not century, jld, special weapons, or any other manufacturer it should be the real deal.

you got any pics??

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I sure don't have any pics. But all the mag well says is JLD Enterprises. Maybe I got stiffed on the HK end.

·
Premium Member
8,632 Posts
I sure don't have any pics. But all the mag well says is JLD Enterprises. Maybe I got stiffed on the HK end.
The magwell says JLD enterprises? Then that receiver is made by, uh, JLD Enterprises. A real HK91 will have "HK91" on it, a serial number that is either 4X-XXXXX... or Axxxxxxx. The other side will say "Made In W. Germany"

If it has JLD Enterprises on the magwell, then it's not an HK91, but a 91 clone. JLD Enterprises was bought out by PTR. It's one of the best clones out there, but it's NOT an HK91. Now, having said that, depending on what you paid for it, you may or may not have been completely robbed. Real HK91s go for around $1800 - $2200 depending on a variety of factors. The JLD or PTR 91 copies are more like $1200 or so in new or like new condition.

Here's another gunbroker auction with a closeup of the magwell - look at the last picture, it's got 14 hours left.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=82953870

So the big question is- what did you pay for it?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Agh.... Not cool... But a nice gun, nevertheless. Thanks!

·
Registered
554 Posts
Unfortunately if may be worse. If the seller put the lower on for the US parts count(He means grip assembly with trigger pack.) then it is probably not a factory assembled clone. It could be one made by a hack in his garage.
Some rifles assembled outside the clone factory can be of high quality but it depends on who did the work. It sounds like fraud.
It does not matter what the gun looks like in many cases of clone work but what happens when you shoot it. Go to the clone section of this forum and read up on all the freaky thinks that can happen to a badly built clone.

·
Premium Member
8,632 Posts
Unfortunately if may be worse. If the seller put the lower on for the US parts count(He means grip assembly with trigger pack.) then it is probably not a factory assembled clone. It could be one made by a hack in his garage.
Some rifles assembled outside the clone factory can be of high quality but it depends on who did the work. It sounds like fraud.
It does not matter what the gun looks like in many cases of clone work but what happens when you shoot it. Go to the clone section of this forum and read up on all the freaky thinks that can happen to a badly built clone.
That's a good point, since those JLD receivers are sold bare as well. You'd be wise to have it checked out thoroughly by someone that really knows the HK roller-locked guns well before I shot it. Especially have the rollers, trunnion, and bolt head gap checked, and also the recoil spring and stock buffer. Hopefully it was just an ignorant seller, and not one intentionally trying to take advantage of you.

·
Registered
597 Posts
if its a jld reciever, and the serial number starts with an A, then it is a factory built jld gun.

if it starts with a B then it was originally sold as a bare reciever and could be assembled by anybody.

·
Registered
172 Posts
The other question is, how much did you pay for it?

Since the PTR is a clone of a HK 91, if you only paid $1K for it, then you got what you paid for. It may be that you had a mis-communication, and where you thought you were getting an HK 91 (for about half-price), the seller was actually saying/showing (in pics) that it's a 91 clone and you paid the appropriate price.

Based on what you're saying, I don't know how you could have seen or handled this gun in advance and been under the impression that it was an HK91, because by your own admission none of the markings on the gun indicate that.

If you bought it sight-unseen and paid HK 91 prices (i.e. $2K), then yeah you got robbed, and that's just more proof about why you should inspect a gun before you buy it.

·
Premium Member
1,047 Posts
You really didnt give enough information here. "Parts count" does not matter to a real HK 91 as they are all preban imports anyway. When you post on here asking for advice, please give enough details so we dont end up with 50 speculative posts while you sit there in silence...

1. What did you pay?
2. How did this transaction take place(online, f/f, etc)?
3. What did the seller tell you in his description? Did he show you photos?
4. Did he have references? Any right of inspection?

Not picking on you here but you want to know if you got screwed and we want to know if there is another scam artist out there.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I gave a fellow officer my Bushmaster AR along with $300 for it. Even if it's 100% PTR I don't think I really got robbed. The serial # appears to be engraved on the top of the reciever with A33**.

The officer told me that it had HK internals but the reciever itself was PTR. Hopefully this cleared a few things up. It also came with 12 mags and a bunch of nato rounds.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Unlike AR with upper and lower, the HK G3 type receiver is the whole metal piece, while the lower is only the grip frame. So if it says JLD PTR, then it's a PTR rifle. Nothing wrong with that, just that it's not HK91, but it is a G3/HK91 clone. Standard Bushmaster AR is worth $700, so plus $300, you have 1k into it, which is about right for PTR. Still, your buddy (especially a fellow officer) should not mislead you into buying something not what it is.

·
Premium Member
8,632 Posts
Ok, then that was probably a fair trade. You didn't get robbed, I've seen a lot of people call any G3 style rifle an HK91. Depending on how many rounds, the ammo is likely worth as much or more than the mags. The mags can be found for under $2.

·
Registered
243 Posts
hell...

what a friend!

I wonder how his report writing is?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts