HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered a new HK SL8-6 and am dying to check it out. I have been dreaming about having a G36 since they first came out and unless hell freezes over...I guess a SL8/G36 conversion is my best choice. Now on to the details...

I would like to build something in the style of the larger G36E. The reason for this is that I live behind enemy lines in NY and would like to keep the barrel the way it is or at most...put a fake surpressor on it. The area I need help with is the stock. I have seen pictures of a fixed stock in the style of the G36, but can't seem to find any info on it. Does anyone know who makes it or where I could find one? I tried the search feature on the forum, but all I keep getting is info about the stock blocks for the folding stock.

My next question is how hard is it to install the HDPS block kit? Do you have to modify the rifle in any way? As you all know...folding stocks in NY are a "no no" so it would be used only at night while hiding in the closet so "THEY" wont know about it. I would like to be able to switch back to factory to be able to shoot it at the range without going to jail. Will the stock block and lower from HDPS work with the 10rd magwell? I would love to convert to the G36 magwell , but in NY the mags are post-ban so again its a "no no".

Lastly...I saw a few pics of what looked like a sniper stock for the SL8 that had the web between the pistol grip and stock removed. This might be my best choice seeing as how I live with the Clintons. Again...cant find any info on it.

Im sorry if I sound like an idiot. Im just learning about this stuff and am looking for any help I can get. This is the most expensive rifle I have ever purchased. My Bushmaster M4 Pre-Ban, DPMS LR-308 and Colt Match Target M4 Carbine all cost about half as much, but I just had to have it. :2300000:

·
Registered
532 Posts
First off, welcome to HKPRO.

On the fixed stock SL8 conversions out there, I have modded my stock to be fixed as you can see in this image;

This is simply a job that will require some ingenuity, some time, and some mechanical ability to make happen. I actually prefer this stock many times over compared to the folding stocks as they came from their second-rate manufacturer since you can actually get a good cheek weld, sight through the factory carry-handle optics, and it's a comfortable length of pull compared to the overly long hinged folding stocks.

You'll have to wait for others opinions on the HDPS parts, as I have not seen nor tested those, myself.

I would highly recommend that you go about this in the legal way for your state. An infraction on state AW ban laws could remove your right to own ANY firearms, and then your hobby days are done, forever.

Good luck on your project gun, and I can assure you that the SL8-6 will be a real tack-driver even with it's thumbhole stock.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First off, welcome to HKPRO.

On the fixed stock SL8 conversions out there, I have modded my stock to be fixed as you can see in this image;

This is simply a job that will require some ingenuity, some time, and some mechanical ability to make happen. I actually prefer this stock many times over compared to the folding stocks as they came from their second-rate manufacturer since you can actually get a good cheek weld, sight through the factory carry-handle optics, and it's a comfortable length of pull compared to the overly long hinged folding stocks.

You'll have to wait for others opinions on the HDPS parts, as I have not seen nor tested those, myself.

I would highly recommend that you go about this in the legal way for your state. An infraction on state AW ban laws could remove your right to own ANY firearms, and then your hobby days are done, forever.

Good luck on your project gun, and I can assure you that the SL8-6 will be a real tack-driver even with it's thumbhole stock.
Thats exactly what I want to do with my rifle. What stock did you use to modify? I want to stay legal in my state...thats why I was asking about fixed stock options. Thanks for the reply and the great pic.:)

·
Registered
532 Posts
This is one of the early series SW stocks which were purchased in a 'pre-buy' back in 2001/2. These stocks had a number of issues that had to be overcome, not the least of which was that they had too much material on the top edge and had to be 'ground down' by the user to fit their specific rifle. Apparently, the manuf. had quality issues that prevented them forming this seam edge accurately which caused misfires/misfeeds in some cases. There were instructions provided on how to shave down the plastic in that area, but nonetheless, it's going to be a trial and error fitment.

As to chopping out the hinge (which is all I did), you'll need to take a close look at the mechanism and figure out how YOU want to tackle that problem. For me, I wanted the shortest possible LOP to get a good sight picture through carry handle optics, so went with chopping out the entire hinge assembly right behind the mount stud and then angling the top cut toward the receiver to allow retention of that shallow slope which meets the top of the receiver. I think you can see that in the picture. This slope is necessary so that your nose doesn't get whacked with each shot and is a softer place to rest your cheek to get a good sight picture. Pins were used through the rear stock piece to secure it along with epoxy to fill the seam edges and the inside edges for strength. The end result is a fixed stock that I'm not embarassed to take to the range, and it's been sturdy enough for Tactical Carbine training classes and many organized shoots.

The trick is going to be in getting your grip lower edges perfectly straight and matched to the rear stock piece. Once you get these seams as small as possible (milling machine highly recommended), you'll have maximum surface area in contact for pinning and gluing. Plus, this helps to keep the seam edge barely visible from the outside. The better contact you have in that area, the stronger the stock will be - so take your time and get the interface as tight as possible. You want it so tight that you need a rubber mallet to fully seat it so the pins can insert, but not so tight that it stresses the plastic to the point of fatigue and cracking. Its a delicate balance.

Good luck, and post pictures if you end up going this route,

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I didn't realize the amount of work that went into it. I have never tried anything like that before, but living in NY has limited my options. Was the stock kit similar to what Top Notch puts out? I havent heard much praise about them, but if I plan to chop it anyway...I guess it wont matter. I was also thinking that I might be able to use the HDPS block and just pin it in the fixed open position so that its legal in NY. My only concern with that is the length. Im going to have to think about this for a while. Thanks for the information and if I go this route...I will be sure to post pics.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Excuse me while I wipe the drool from my keyboard. That looks awsome. I wish someone would come out with something like that. Im limited on tools and knowledge, but willing to try. I have seen a few gray rear stocks going pretty cheap. I might try my hand at dying and shaping it. Any tips you could offer?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Attached Thumbnails
That is just a work of art. Would you let me know what the turn around time to do one of these conversions as well as the cost that it entails. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
tbostic, that SL8 looks killer. What/who/how/where did that PSG type PG come from???

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,213 Posts
Where have you guys been? LOL. Tommy has been making those PSG8 stocks for quite some time now. I've had a couple of them cross my path for trigger group installs and I have to say, they are VERY nice.

If I were going to build an SL8 into a really comfortable tack driver, his PSG8 stock would be the one to get.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Where have you guys been? LOL. Tommy has been making those PSG8 stocks for quite some time now. I've had a couple of them cross my path for trigger group installs and I have to say, they are VERY nice.

If I were going to build an SL8 into a really comfortable tack driver, his PSG8 stock would be the one to get.
I'm new to the "tupperware" HKs.:37:

I think my wallet hates them as much as I love them.

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,213 Posts
I'm new to the "tupperware" HKs
BAHAHAHAWHAHAHROFLMAOCGU (I think that's how Shattered does it)

Now THAT's funny. Gonna have to use that down at the range the next time someone wants to brag about their Glock :biggrin:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts