HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok I've got all my pennys saved for this project now what way to go.This will be my primary go to weapon so the finished product needs to function flawlessly if i have to send the c-93 to Jeff that's fine.I know the ar would be easy but I have buddys that have ar pistols that only run with low power ammo like wolf think its got to do with bolt slap.Here is the kicker it will be suppressed.I will be using a c3 clandestine 5.56 I'm sending my form 4 tomorrow and I want to send out the form 1 for this very soon so I get em back around the same time.So what do you guys think?Just to add if I go c93 the I'll be getting new 53 bolt carrier, recoil rod/springs and locking piece.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Don't know about the C93 first hand but I've read about a few guys that sent them to Jeff for some tweaking and got back reliable good looking weapons. The AR on the other hand, I've built a few AR pistols and an SBR based on a DPMS A15 lower. My DPMS has a Colt A2 upper with an E.R. Shaw 11.5" chrome lined 5.56mm bbl, M16 bolt carrier and RRA NM 2 stage trigger. It has been extremely reliable and eats everything I feed it. I also have a YHM Phantom suppressor I use on a regular basis. I've already been through the Basic Patrol Rifle course with it and I have another rifle course lined up in Oct.

In the past 5 yrs I have only had 2 failures with this weapon, both times it had a primer fall under the trigger which required removal of the trigger to clear it...both primers came from cheap Wolf ammo. Also fyi if your gonna use a can on a shorty AR don't go with a bbl shorter than 11.5" due to pressure. For more AR info check out www.ar15.com like on this sight those guys were a wealth of knowledge for an AR build.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im a member of ar15.com as well I'm gonna ask the same questions so they can tell me how to make it reliable if i go that route.Good to know about the barrel length,thing is I've been looking around and its hard to find a 1/7 twist in that length. That colt you have is 1/7( if my research is correct) and I'm sure its bad ass.You can shoot some heavy ammo out of that sucker

·
Premium Member
1,737 Posts
the finished product needs to function flawlessly if i have to send the c-93 to Jeff that's fine.

So what do you guys think?Just to add if I go c93 the I'll be getting new 53 bolt carrier, recoil rod/springs and locking piece.
If you're going to replace all the guts on a C93, then start with a bare receiver, and have jeff build it for you. There is a likely chance you'll have to replace the barrel anyway, and at that point you've basically only bought a receiver, stocks, and a trigger from century.

I'd get an apex parts kit, vs. a C93 parts kit =).
https://www.apexgunparts.com/product_info.php/products_id/875

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
true the only main issue I'm having tho... Does the barrel length affect the performance like on the ar? I know they are completely different I know an 8.5" ar won't be good suppressed cuz of the di.Will the roller lock suffer as well?If so what's the shortest I can have it before I start having problems?

·
Registered
10,256 Posts
Lots of people with AR pistols AND clone 53s have reported baffle strikes with the short barrels (8 inch and under)... you sure you want to try this? 223 is hard enough to suppress... shorties are a real bitch. The whole idea of the shorty gun is portability... making it quiet was NOT a primary concern. The extreme LOUDNESS was an accepted trade off for portability.

Besides, some people consider the shorties as our idea of flash and awe... the hell with making it quiet and calm...

Twin HK51 - YouTube

·
Registered
346 Posts
The pistol AR buffer systems stink and I don't like that pistol buffer tube pointing toward my face. I would much rather have the HK in a pistol version.

Like others have said, the 223 short barrel won't suppress well. The 300 blackout and 10mm barrels are coming so you could consider those.

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
I have an SBR that I pieced together with quality parts and I also have a suppressor for it. I have "zero" experience with the (.223) clones, except the 53 and 53K I have handled in person that Ghillie built for a local buddy of mine, outstanding fit and finish.

You mentioned something about primary defense use. "For me", the decision was simple, I have a good amount of training behind an AR type weapon, so that's the route I went. Parts for them are "everywhere" and relatively cheap especially in comparison to genuine HK parts for anything. I have a 12.5" barrel (wanted an 11"rail for comfort), and an AAC M42000. It's not quiet like a suppressed 45 pistol, but it quiets the gun down significantly, and with the can on the rifle barely measures over 16". When the can is off, as far as noise goes, I really don't care, it does not bother me. I have an AAC brakeout mount on it and have shot it at night without the can and no issues with the flash, sound, etc. It's loud, but it only bothers the people around me :)

When I go to train, if my rifle bugs someone, then maybe they should have sat down and thought about how much noise bothers them before taking a class with 20+ people shooting rifles. I live in a big city area, so the added distance folks talk about with the longer barrels is a moot point to me. I have a short barreled AR with an Aimpoint 4MOA on it, and it fits "my" needs perfectly. When I set out to build this rifle, it wasn't for it to be a toy, it was to be a tool that will get used and abused, and after swapping/upgrading a few things along the way I'm happy with where it's at.

Now this is not to say that a 93 could not be used in the same role, I just think familiarity of arms with the platform makes it or breaks it. We have a guy locally at the carbine shoots that's always coming out with his 53K build, so it can be done.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

IMG_5328.jpg

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
C93 p idea is dead. I talked to my class three today he said 10.5 is the shortest i can go otherwise ima melt the baffles.Think what ima have to do is go with a bmp 93ar upper 33k barrel and have Jeff build it. If i go the hk roue that is.I want it suppressed so is it even worth doing the sbr since I can't go super short?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You know what forget it I just ordered my c93p and ima sbr it lol just cuz I really want one.Ima build a plain old 16" ar to suppress when my form 4 comes back.problem solved.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I wish I had the factory Colt barrel, it would have been 1/7 but it's an E.R. Shaw in 1/9. No matter it serves it's purpose and functions well. Hopefully this year it will truly become a tool instead of just a toy, just waiting on our new chief to approve AR's for duty.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That would be grate.I think a rifles should be part of every patrol cars arsenal.Down here where I am in the Rio Grand Valley every cop car is packing a colt ar in the truck.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts