HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hoping to get my hands on the Hk45 when it comes out soon. I currently use Hopps for my beretta. What does everyone here at Hkpro recommend that I use for my first Hk and what is a good break-in procedure for it (Ammo, number of rounds and cleaning)?

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
Forget about the HK45 issue for now, god knows when it will see our shores.

I use Hoppes solvent and oil too and it will work fine on your eventual HK as well as your current Beretta. HK's are top of the line guns and one of the things that goes with that is zero break in time. Just take it home, clean it, and shoot to your hearts content. I put some not so great ammo (Blazer Brass) in my USP Combat Comp. the first time out and it ate 2 boxes of it without a hiccup. Also, I only clean a new gun before I shoot it because they come a little over-lubed from the factory. Not that this will hinder performance, but it will be a bit more of a mess to clean up.

·
Registered
114 Posts
the zero break in time for an HK is true, but i would still put at leat 400 rounds through it before i used it as my carry piece. most pistols prob. dont need this high of a round count before you carry them, but i do it for my peace of mind.
-Jason G

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
I don't own one, but they say Kahr pistols need a minimum of 500 rounds of break in time. For a $700-$800 pistol, virually the price of an HK, this seems a little rediculous.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, I've heard about the zero break in time but was looking for an excuse to put out 500 rounds my first time to the range with whatever Hk I get first.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Clean it with Hoppes #9.
Lube it with BreakFree CLP.

Break it in by shooting the living crap out of it, clean it and shoot some more.

Shoot single action, double action and be sure to give the decocker a good
work out. DON'T baby it! Your not going to hurt it.

Most people treat their guns like Faberge Eggs. Shoot it hard, try to wear it out. If it breaks put it in a box and give it back to HK.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have over 1000 rounds through my kahr cwp 9, and it has never failed. I think they say the break in thing because kahrs are meant for carry.

My elite 45 needed some break in. The thing was tight as could be when it first came, especially the chamber. I did have some FTF's during the first 600 rounds or so, and it didn't like short 185 grn fp's.

But after the first 600 rounds or so, I cooked up some hot 185 grns (6.5 grains of bullseye), and tried to punish my elite. The hot rounds "took the edge off" of my chamber, and loosend things up a bit. Now it takes just about anything that is not seated to long (my elite barrel has a short throat, which is conducive to accuracy).

My tactical in 45 needed no break in. But I would say the elites do. The elites are built like tight race cars that actually get faster after you put 20,000 miles or so on them.

·
Registered
596 Posts
dtheman,
One product that HK used to pack with guns is Ballistol. It's a good all-around cleaner/lube with very good rust inhibitors. Militec is a very good product as is Eezox. Both of these are dry lubes...a handy feature to have for CCWs. A little TW25b with a dry lube works very well.

As mentioned...clean the gun and read the manual before shooting. HK manuals give clear lube instructions. My five HKs have yielded zero malfunctions.

FWIW, Kahr's recommended break in is 200 rounds. I have two and have yet to have any malfunction also.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
There is no need for a break in period with HK's which is one of the great things about the gun. As far as cleaning goes I have been using Weapon Shield and have been VERY happy with the stuff.

http://weaponshield.com

·
Registered
196 Posts
Let me second - CLEAN THE GUN BEFORE YOU TAKE IT TO THE RANGE.

Because of logistics - We went directly from the gun shop to the range with the new P30. I just ran something down the barrel at the gun shop. There were a few FTEs and slide not locking opens. Second time at the range - after cleaning NO PROBLEMS!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I love my USP because I don't clean it. I used to clean my 1911 after every trip to the range. If you put a couple hundred rounds through it and didn't clean - it would jam without fail.

My USP gets cleaned twice a month and that's it. A couple quick swipes down the barrel and it is spotless. The crud builds up in other areas but wipes away real quick.

My gun jams from time to time but my reloads are slowly evolving and I should have the problem beat with the next trip to the range.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everyone...Next question is what ammo should I run through it first?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Any good range ammo and of course at least of box of whatever you decide to use as your self defense ammo to check for reliability.

And to your original question I use Corrosion X and Hoppes.

·
Registered
383 Posts
As the other have said, dont worry about break in time, just shoot it, and love it.

As far as cleaners, lubes, I've heard very good things about Weapon Shield. It was developed by the guy who formulated the original tw25b and when they wanted to alter the formula he left and made Weapon Shield.

I use Slip-2000 personally, and have nothing bad to say about it. I use it as a cleaner and lube. The barrel is completely clean with a quick swipe even after 100's of rounds, nothing seems to stick. It also has the highest temperature ratings. Your never going to reach those temps, but it's a "my d*ck is bigger than yours" thing I guess :D

I've been wanting to try Weapon Shield, but Slip-2000 hasn't given me a reason to yet.

Anyway, good luck and happy shooting. :13:

·
Registered
506 Posts
Thanks guys, I've heard about the zero break in time but was looking for an excuse to put out 500 rounds my first time to the range with whatever Hk I get first.
1 getting the shooter broken in to the gun. See, YOU need to get broken in.
Is that a good enough excuse? ::smiles his jolly smile::
or choose from the list below.
2 Need to break in the holster and get the tension adjusted.
3 Need to be SURE the sites are adjusted.
4 Need to see if ALL of my magazines are working properly.
5 Need to be confidant that you got a good batch of ammo (by testing every other round out of a full case)
6 Need to compare it to my other gun and see what the differences are (This excuse has the advantage of getting to shoot both guns)
7 Need to do some air density and temperature checks (This one has the advantage of needing to stay out at the range past dark so you can "see if the gun shoots any different in night air than day air")
8 Need to check the night sites. (see advantage above. Works well in conjunction with excuse #3)
If you need a few more just let us know.

happy shooting

·
Registered
616 Posts
LOL, by the time the HK45 comes out there may be many new types of ammo on the market. :90:

·
Registered
506 Posts
by the time the HK45 comes out they won't have ammo. You'll have to shoot little notes wrapped up in bean bags that say "You are being shot. You have the right to remain silent when I shoot you. You have the right to have an attorney present when I shoot you.... " LOL
awww shucks, we'll all be glad when the do come out but all good things in due time.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
LOL, I always enjoy a good joke at the expense of me waiting even longer.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts