HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Let me start by saying I'm not much of a pistol guy. I own several for home defense, I do enjoy occasionally shooting them at the range but I dont collect them in the same fashion I collect rifles and carbines. That being said, California's gun laws are about to get even worse and I need to get my hands on any gun I will ever want between now and Dec 31st 2016. I'm sure at some point in the future I will be more into pistols so I'm looking for advice from those of you that own HK pistols.

What is the short list of top 5's you'd get you hands on if you only had 4 months? It doesn't need to necessarily be exclusively HK's. But I'm sure that would be the majority.

The VP9 and the new K style MP5 are on my list, so what else should I be looking at?

I would actually prefer suggestions that are off of the CA roster (if you're familiar)

Thank you in advance!

·
Premium Member
3,259 Posts
VP9 would be a good choice, there are several on CalGuns weekly at about 1 K. A Mark 23 would be an excellent choice. The new SP5K will be tough to get, since you are asking for off roster guns you must have a connection. Get all that you can afford.
HK 45
USP 9 mm Expert
And of course a P7 M8

I also live behind the iron curtain.

Good Luck

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
My suggestion is to get the hell out of cali. They just aren't going to get it until the tax dollars for their sacred social programs are gone because all the people who like their civil liberties have left.

On a more useful note, $1000 for a VP9 sounds crazy to me, but if that's the only way.... I'd make sure I had a VP9. I also second the HK45 and Mark 23 as options, and would add the P30 in whatever variants interest you. Not familiar with the roster though. I kinda thought you couldn't get anything that wasn't on the approved list at all though (unless you're a government agent of course, disarmament is only for the peasants). I've never really done more than 30 minutes of research though, it's not something I ever plan to subject myself to.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
SP5K

Let me start by saying I'm not much of a pistol guy. I own several for home defense, I do enjoy occasionally shooting them at the range but I dont collect them in the same fashion I collect rifles and carbines. That being said, California's gun laws are about to get even worse and I need to get my hands on any gun I will ever want between now and Dec 31st 2016. I'm sure at some point in the future I will be more into pistols so I'm looking for advice from those of you that own HK pistols.

What is the short list of top 5's you'd get you hands on if you only had 4 months? It doesn't need to necessarily be exclusively HK's. But I'm sure that would be the majority.

The VP9 and the new K style MP5 are on my list, so what else should I be looking at?

I would actually prefer suggestions that are off of the CA roster (if your familiar)

Thank you in advance!
First a word of advise.
HkPro is exclusively Hk.
Comparing/discussing other manufacturer's firearms is generally frowned upon.

As for an ultimate Hk pistol?
This is my current favorate :biggrin:

·
Premium Member
3,086 Posts
I'm not familiar with the california roster, and don't know what you'd be using them for, but here's what I would suggest:

VP9
p30 or p30L
p30sk
Either HK45 or Mark 23
P7 or more likely a second vp9 or another p30

Or I would buy 5 USP's in various configurations. Good luck!!

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
I'd probably go:

VP9
SP5K
USP45 Elite
P30L
P7M8

·
Registered
443 Posts
Ill add the HK45c also. I know the full size is mentioned already, but I prefer the compact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
nice list .... or EXPERT 9m, P2000SK
Yeah mainly depends on intended use I guess.

If all range guns, I'd stick to my list. I've never shot an Expert 9, but hear great things!

If he needs one for CC, I'd swap one for an HK45C or P2SK/P30SK.

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
most the guns they listed are not on the list the usp line is on the list and the p2000 line most the other stuff you will have to search and find on calgun.net or other sources. i have a few usp and i love them my first was the usp compact in 40. If you have the cash search cal guns and find what u want and expect to pay a premium

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
Getcha a USP 9mm DA/SA ( Full Size ) and about 10,000 rds of 115gr & 124gr factory reloads . You will be made whole !

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,086 Posts
most the guns they listed are not on the list the usp line is on the list and the p2000 line most the other stuff you will have to search and find on calgun.net or other sources. i have a few usp and i love them my first was the usp compact in 40. If you have the cash search cal guns and find what u want and expect to pay a premium
If that's the case then definitely get the USP. Put a match trigger and some sights on it and it will quickly become your favorite:)

·
Registered
66 Posts
For me, I would get a V3 P30, HK45, and VP9. Since you can't carry no point in getting anything small unless you like the feel. The 45 is a classic, the P30 is a great HD and all around gun, & the VP9 shares the same mags / aesthetics as the P30 but as a striker fire which is great for competitions

·
Registered
289 Posts
Top of my HK list is p7m8, followed by the Mark 23. Then, I'd go for the USP9Expert, followed by the USP9T and then the USP45Expert. If they were available (like dealers had them in stock), my first choice would be the USP9Match and then the USP9Elite.

Except for the Match and the Elite, I've owned all those I mentioned; and, then some.

If I were wishing, I'd hope for a smaller p7m8, Kimber SOLO size, with an alloy frame for carry purposes.

Before retirement, I was the CFO of a company that did a huge business in CA; including a large warehouse. We had a sales tax dispute with the State. I pointed out what their law said. The response was, "we don't care what it says, this is what you'll do." "If you don't like it, do business elsewhere." We closed the warehouse and moved all the people who wanted to go to another of our locations.

When serving in NATO, one of my best friends was a Danish Air Force officer. He told me that with the tax situation there he wouldn't have been able to live on his air force pay without his family's financial support.

·
Premium Member
3,259 Posts
No threaded barrels in the land of fruits and nuts, he will have to modify the Mark 23 barrel, so a USP9T would be a waste, a USP 9 mm Expert would be a better choice.
My 2 cents

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Best advice that I can give is this... In this order:
1. Move the heck out of CA.
2. Move the heck out of CA.
3. Buy ALL the HKs you can afford that are on that precious roster. They only seem to truncate the list and raise the values higher every so many months.
4. Move out of CA.
5. Never move back to CA.

·
Priest of the P7
5,037 Posts
I'm sure it has occurred to him that he should leave CA. It's not always that easy and that's probably not very helpful advice.

In decreasing order of necessity and omitting the SP5K since I don't really consider that a pistol:
1. P7M8
2. P7M13
3. HK45
4. VP9
5. USPc SS 9 or 45...probably 45 since I only have one other 45 on the list.

But IF you don't mind repeats.
1. P7M8
2. P7M13
3. HK45
4. P7M8
5 P7M13

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
2 VP9
1 USP 45
1 HK45
1 P30L

When you move a Mark23. :150000:

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
As an ex native CaliF who saw the light in 1989 and never looked back get out while you can. As far as firearms I would choose these.

1 P7M8
1 P7M13
1 HK45
1 VP9
1 Expert 9MM

Most are repeats. l:big grin:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts