HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if i filed the form1 on my own, once the dealer finish the conversion, they can send the rifle straight back to me? or is there other way to do it(without going thru a class3 dealer)? i know on the SD i have to go thru a local class3 dealer but for the suppressor only.

here are the plans for them from top
USC i decided to use the original USC barrel, cut down re-threaded the same as my MK23
HK94 this one will be a SD
SP89 MP5k-PDW
HK94 not sure what to do with this one, maybe just cut down the barrel and make it a trunk SBR

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Since you already own the weapons and its not a new purchase the dealer is able to ship the firearms back to you (once the form 1's are approved). The only one you wouldnt have to wait for is the mp5K since it is a pistol.

·
Teufelshund Tactical
7,402 Posts
Agree with above. Nice collection for a guy with 2 posts. Good luck with the builds. Lots of great members here that can do the work for you.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
My understanding is there are two possible routes to go with the SBR conversions of the rifles and the pistol pictured above.

1) File a Form 1 for each. After approval is received cut an inch off each of the rifle barrels. Use a hacksaw or what ever to cut the barrels down to less than 16" so that the rifles are actually in SBR configuration when you send them away. There was actually a "Legal Side" article in Small Arms Review that covered this situation. These firearms are your property. The configuration is being changed from Title I configuration to Title II configuration. The Form 1 would list you or your entity as the maker, so the rifle needs to be in Title II configuration when it is received by the manufacturer that is doing the finish work. Your or your entity's information as the maker must be engraved as part of the conversion process. You could go to a place that creates trophies that is local to you for the engraving. That is something that can be done before the Form 1 is approved.

2) Ship the rifles as is to a manufacturer to have the work done. They will shorten the barrel. When they do, they will file a Form 2 and the manufacturer's info will be on the firearms. These firearms are still your property. So there is no change in ownership. My understanding is once the Form 2 has been filed and entered in the NFA Registry then a Form 4 to transfer directly to you can be filled out and submitted. If the manufacturer is in a different state then a letter explaining that, you are the owner of the firearm and that the manufacturer is simply changing the configuration. After the work is completed and the Form 4 has been approved, the firearms can be shipped directly back to you.

Since you have dealt with the USC and 922(R) compliance, check to see the date code on the SP89. My understanding is that there were very few SP89s imported before the '89 ban. If your SP89 was imported post '89, then it will need the US parts for 922(R) compliance. You have quite a collection. I'm guessing there are a number of member that are very envious. Good luck with your SBR projects.

Scott

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
With the USC fill out the paper work yourself. Send of receiver for engrave. Wait to get the approved form 1 back. Thenpull the bbl and send to somEone to cut and thread. That is what I did any way. No dealer involvement required.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
thanks guys for the quick replies. on the sp89, i have to take a look on the date code, i am sure it is not pre-89, and which barrel should i go for?

·
Teufelshund Tactical
7,402 Posts
thanks guys for the quick replies. on the sp89, i have to take a look on the date code, i am sure it is not pre-89, and which barrel should i go for?
If you stay true to the K, you already have the right barrel. If you want to go N, then good luck finding an new factory barrel. I got one of the last ones myself and it was expensive. You can still find used ones, but their condition is always questionable and most sellers drive their prices up too. The latest one I see currently posted is more than the last new ones were going for. The best non-factory barrels are probably from Urbach. As always, it really depends on how much you want to spend.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
As stated above the best route is to file the form 1's yourself and after approval send off the firearms to smith for the work that way you avoid the firearms being out of your posession during the time it takes to get form 1's approved. Cheaper alternative for the SP89 barrel would be to send the pistol off to S&H S and H Arms: Curtis Higgins, Owasso, OK:: FNC conversions, Suppressors . They offer a service where they permanently attach a 3 lug adapter to your original German sp89 barrel for the mp5k-n look (I believe they charge around $200), much cheaper than spending $1k+ for a original mp5k-n barrel. S&H attaches the 3 lug without having to remove the barrel from your sp-89. Hope that helps a little.

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
Another option on the SP89 is having an HK94 barrel cut down, threaded and then a three lug adapter is attached. In the old days there were lots of extra HK94 barrels, less so now days. I like the German HK94 barrel a little better than how Curtis does his (which is also fine), a notch above a Urbach barrel (also fine but a little different process) and a little less than a factory installed PDW barrel (those days are over). Have had good luck with RCM 223 barrels and they make a fine option also.

For the HK94 that is going to be a trunk gun, would do one of two things. The best option is sell to a collection intact and use the money as the first third of the purchase for a sear. The other option is look at getting a HK53 (more interesting as a SBR than a third 9mm ;-).

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
+1 to what Jim said above. You could get a clone made for around 1/2 of what the "trunk gun" 94 is worth. I sold most all of my semi auto collection in 2005 to buy my first machinegun. It was hard parting with those guns, but it is the best thing I ever did for my collection. A sear could be moved around with a bunch of pistols. Since 922(R) doesn't effect pistols, you could have a SD, MP5, and 53 made from US receivers and HK parts sets. Are the US receivers as nice as the factory? No, but they can come pretty close. If you sold all four guns pictured above, you'd have enough for a sear with a clone receiver/parts set host. Good luck with your NFA firearms projects.

Scott

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not sure if you guys saw my post on the DOJ HK94 at arf.com, i sold the DOJ along with some other firearms to fund a mp5k with sear pack which is STILL displayed at the dealer, needless to say the purchase didn't go thru, he basically blew me off and tell me go talk to a nfa lawyer first, but it isn't the legal issue that i am worrying about.......kind of a disappointment, i thought this was a perfect opportunity to break me into NFA scene, a beginning of a trusty relationship with a dealer, yes i know they overcharge for the mp5k, however if i ever need a sear for ar or have questions i can just go to him. sort of like a togo GUY for machine guns.

my first NFA purchase ended up to be a 762snd6 on feb 3rd, and osprey .45 on feb 27th, looking to get SWR octane9 HD in 2 weeks. i am so excited that i found my suppressor guy!

i am still in the search for a good quality sear pack, but i really like to have it at a local(DFW area) dealer before i write the check.

Scott: the SP89 is IK date code 1989? so it doesn't have to be compliant?

df662: thanks for the tip, i will have Curtis do the 3lug extension, it is just such waste to swap out the barrel, since the sp89 has really low round count.
thanks again for all the ideas and option

Paul

·
Premium Member
1,832 Posts
I noticed you are in the DFW area. I started using TPM Outfitters in Carrollton and have been very pleased with their work. They have built several HK projects for me and I have been very pleased. I have a sample of just about every HK smith there is, they are equal or better than all of them, and their waiting period is weeks or months, not years. It is also nice they are local. They make suppressors and sell other brands. Ken Clark is very helpful. BTW- I am not affiliated just a happy customer.

·
Merchant of Death (Admin)
11,849 Posts
Be very careful about the whole threading the USC thing. The USC is a "modern" gun and a threaded barrel is one of the evil features that would make it not eligible for import under 922(r). Making it into an SBR does not relieve you of 922(r) restrictions and you are the "maker" as listed on the Form 1. I know it's silly, but unfortunately it is part of our landscape. If you are a stickler for such things, as the maker you would want to swap out some parts with US made parts to make 922(r) go away. Of course, if you "bought the gun with the threaded barrel" it would not be an issue since 922(r) is not a possession offense...

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Be very careful about the whole threading the USC thing. The USC is a "modern" gun and a threaded barrel is one of the evil features that would make it not eligible for import under 922(r). Making it into an SBR does not relieve you of 922(r) restrictions and you are the "maker" as listed on the Form 1. I know it's silly, but unfortunately it is part of our landscape. If you are a stickler for such things, as the maker you would want to swap out some parts with US made parts to make 922(r) go away. Of course, if you "bought the gun with the threaded barrel" it would not be an issue since 922(r) is not a possession offense...
I dunno about you guys but 922r requirements make me want to jump off a bridge. On a Hk you can spend hundreds just to get compliant in the config you want.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts