HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys ,

I picked up a DOJ HK 94 a while ago. It's in pretty good shape internally and doesn't have any extra engavings; but needs to be refinished. I'm thinking of sending it to IGF for the work. My question is what upgrades should I do and will they affect the value of the rifle. Will the fact that the rifle is being refinished in the first place negate any long term value? I was thinking at minimum changing the rear sight to the real MP5 style and putting a clipped and pinned polymer SEF lower on it. I'm currently in a non-SBR state so I think I am stuck with the long barrel. I would really like a paddle mag release installed; but that is kind of a permanent modification. Will something to that extent hurt it's value?

I'd like to hear any recommendations you guys have. Thanks!

·
Registered
221 Posts
i'm refinishing my PTR 91 and having the paddle mag release installed. i'm also having the gun thoroughly checked out (bolt gap, cocking lever, new butt stock, whole nine yards done on this gun).

by the time ghillie's done it will be perfect

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'd get the paddle mag release done if you're going to get it refinished. I've never seen a rifle's value go down by having a factory release installed--but anything's possible.

The primary chance of such a case would be where someone was looking for a pristine unfired HK94 in original from-the-factory condition. Since you have a DOJ, that scenario isn't a consideration--so get the upgrades that'll help you to enjoy the gun more.

For me, that was a paddle mag release and the polymer lower (mine came with the correct rear sight). I had the work done by IGF and the gun is like new now.

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
94 Upgrades

+1 on the paddle mag & +1 on IGF doing the work. IGF did my 94 and SP89 (MP5K-N).

I would say that your guns value is not derived from its condition (as a pristine safe queen may have). BUT..... its value is found in its being an original HK and a great shooter and possible sear host. And since conversions require refinishing, these guns are perfect for that reason. (Mine was not a DOJ but an old 4 digit serial #)
I would without a doubt have the paddle mag conversion done. I would also consider having a 3 lug MP5 bbl conversion done with the dummy suppressor for any future SBR/MG work to be done. A clipped and pinned trigger pack can be added at any time and you might want to have the trigger work done as well. I added a 4 pos pack (for show) for mine and it has a nice tighter fit and lighter trigger than the original.
The DOJ guns have so much potential and are perfect for conversions so don't worry about value. Try to do all work at the same time so that one refinishing job does the trick.

·
Premium Member
8,629 Posts
Totally agree. Since it's a DOJ gun in need of refinishing, it already has a lesser resale value than a NIB HK94, so anything you add like the paddle mag, remarking, and refinishing, will only increase its value.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Gentlemen:

Who and what is IGF??

Link please if possible.

Thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts