1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a .45 ACP compact about a year ago. Have
fired about 1500 rounds through it. My problem is that
when I clean the gun, the magazine release axle pin
keeps slipping out, (item #31 in exploded handbook view).
I sent it back to the factory for repair. (I lost the first pin)
They said they could do nothing, that it was inherent too the
gun. This may be so but it still is a poor excuse for a costly
gun and a company that prides itself on precision
engineering. is there something I can do to prevent this
problem from recurring every time I clean the gun?
Has anyone else had this same problem ?
Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
802 Posts
That shouldn't happen. It's a roll pin and shouldn't fall out on its own. You can purchase your own roll pins. HK uses the same roll pins for the mag release axle, extractor, and firing pin. It is a M3 x 14mm. McMaster Carr has them, P/N 91610A407, 25 for just over $5. The roll pins themselves will have a diameter of 3.3-3.5mm and designed to go into a hole of 3.0-3.1mm. It is really strange to have your hole be enlarged that much. I suspect they might have gotten some bad roll pins.

·
Registered
173 Posts
you can also mushroom the ends of the roll pin a small amount by putting a pick in each end and tapping one end at a time with a hammer while the other end is on a hard serface. the key word here is TAP not hit with the hammer

·
Registered
616 Posts
Who did you talk at HK!?! Ask to speak with Travis, he is not the kind of guy that gives answersl like that. I find it hard to believe anyone would give you an answer like that.

·
Registered
802 Posts
you can also mushroom the ends of the roll pin a small amount by putting a pick in each end and tapping one end at a time with a hammer while the other end is on a hard serface. the key word here is TAP not hit with the hammer
Definitely don't do that. That's very bad advice. Altering a roll pin like that only causes problems since you run the risk of further enlarging the hole in the plastic. Roll pins are $0.20 a piece. Get a new one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts